Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New C308 Sporter from CAI

I missed a chance at a pig kill today, We made a trip out to my buddies farm which is just about sold, we were gonna fish at the tank and do some shooting. We haven't been able to make our way down to the bottoms all year because its been just too muddy to get back there with out 4 wheel drive but we decided to go check it out looked good. Long story short had about a dozen grown pigs 100 yards off, I paid no attention what so ever if there was any little ones, there were plenty of big sows and 2 big ass boars with them, wait I said long story short so her goes the short. 4 Broad side shot ops, 4 painful to the ear clicks. The gun just would not charge. Never got a round in the chamber. I had it happen before once but it was just a minor temp thing, or so I thought. Now I have a scope on it which does alter the way I have to charge but it is just so damn stiff. I haven't not shot more than 50 -60 rounds through it since I got in March (health) and I have heard from a local that has one tell me that it does get better the more it get broken in/shot. But damn, what a pisser today. I really like the rifle, shoots well, and now with scope very accurate, at least when it feeds. I bought several surplus mags, so I could have a bad mag as well, but I know its probably something internal. Going to tear it down tomorrow and see if just needs a better cleaning with the surplus parts on it. IF that doesn't produce any answers then I will take it to a gunsmith and see what they can do. I don't want to get rid of it as I have wanted a CetMe style rifle for several years and wanted a .308 I have 2 Ar15s and some bolt guns but I kinda got an special something something for this thing. Apparently it is, at least today, not mutual. Ill keep checking in here and if I find out anything I will post, but I see a lot more experience with this gun here than I have so I expect to read more than post as I normally do.

Senior Veteran
    Well that sucks. Let us know if you find anything wrong and if you get it fixed.

Edit: Have you tried charging it again with a different mag?
    Last edited by scottz63; 11-06-2016 at 02:25 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTC View Post
    ...I had it happen before once but it was just a minor temp thing, or so I thought. Now I have a scope on it which does alter the way I have to charge but it is just so damn stiff.
    ...but I know its probably something internal.
    With the rifle field stripped and the butt stock off does your bolt assembly slide freely inside the receiver?
    Look for wear on the finish on the bolt carrier, the receiver may be out of spec. causing the carrier to hang up.
    You could take the bolt head off, put the stock back on and check to make sure the carrier slides freely.

What kind of scope mount?
    Claw mounts will sometimes pinch the receiver causing the bolt carrier to bind inside the receiver.

Check the cocking handle pin that holds the cocking handle to the cocking tube support. If the pin is not seated or is loose it could be binding inside the cocking tube.
    Does the rifle unlock easily then hard to charge or is it just hard to unlock period?

These are a few things off the top of my head that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Well that sucks. Let us know if you find anything wrong and if you get it fixed.

Edit: Have you tried charging it again with a different mag?

I found the problem. Idiot behind trigger. Scope is mounted just right in the way where charging hand rubs scope, I was lacking 1/8" of pull with over hand grip. Underhand I could actually see what was happening, Its still a stiff charge but in heat of moment .... awww well crap. LOL its funny now. We were there to go fishing didn't expect to go hoggin. Yeah I don't believe me either

New Recruit Private
    I bought a C308 several months ago and just wanted to share my experience so far. I've never owned a CETME/G3 of any type so I can't speak specifically on some of the finer details. I do however have good general knowledge and experience with firearms for whatever that's worth.

First impression was the C308 appears to be a well put together, solid firearm. As far as fit and finish goes, at first glace it looks like a brand new rifle, and for the most part with the exclusion of some of the internals, it is. From what I've read, it seems that the majority of the rifle is in fact PTR, possibly some of their blemished parts. The bolt carrier group and cocking mechanism appear to be surplus parts. When I first got the rifle I did a basic field strip, cleaning and inspection.

All the new parts appeared to be in perfect order save for a few minor handling marks on the trigger group housing. I could definitely tell the internals were surplus and used, but they appear to be in perfect functional order. I did not do any precision measurements though I plan to in the near future. Having never handled a CETME/G3 before I can say there is a certain utilitarian, no BS vibe I always get from com block type weapons and the C308 definitely struck me as a hardcore battle rifle. The bolt carry group is huge and seems to be built like a tank. Consequently, a minor handling mark doesn't effect my opinion at all and is part of the territory the way I've always looked at it. This gun obviously wasn't meant to be a beauty pageant winner, it was obviously meant to be a battle rifle which, to me, makes it even prettier.

I've also read that PTR is doing the welding on these guns. I can't speak for the validity of that claim per say and I don't have prior experience with past Century craftsmanship which I've heard is historically abysmal. What I can say it that the welds on the C308 appear to be done by a skilled welder. I would rate them as very good, though I obviously haven't done any ultrasonic testing on them.

I've read some folk say these rifles have very good triggers "for battle rifles'. If that's true in general mine must be on the lower end of that spectrum. I'd love to say the trigger is great, but frankly it isn't. I'm no trigger expert but the trigger on my C308 doesn't give a whole lot of positive feedback and after a rather hard and gritty pull just sort of breaks all of a sudden. Still, concentrating I was able to get 2 MOA groups using cheap Perfecta ammo I found at Walmart for around 13 bucks a box. I might wind of sending the trigger off to Bill Springfield at Triggerworks.net. Many folks claims he about the best in the business and pricing for a basic trigger job start at around $70 dollars or so.

Took the rifle to the range with my son. I can shoot on my property but my range isn't set up yet and we wanted to get out anyways. This rifle definitely gets a bit of attention at the range, not that I'm interested in that per say but it's nice when folks strike up a conversation. Did I mention this gun is a complete BEAST! OMG what a blast to shoot. Mega fun factor for sure. The Century muzzle brake puts out a fireball like crazy right in your line of sight. While that's obviously not idea tactically it did seem to have relatively light recoil and hardly any muzzle flip. My son loves this gun and won't let my sell it now. We only ran 2 box of ammo but had no failures of any kind whatsoever, the gun ran flawlessly.

I've recently ordered a Spanish CETME bayonet with scabbard for about $25. I believe I need to change the muzzle break to take up slop with the bayonet. The C308 has a 5/8 24 muzzle brake threading which I'm pretty sure isn't the standard for the rifles so using a surplus CETME brake may be out of the question. If this is the case, that presents me with the challenge of fining a AR 10 type brake with the correct diameter to function properly with the bayonet. That's reminds me, I've heard of folks getting better accuracy out of these rifles by changing the brake from the Century chevron one they come with. I'll have to do some of my own testing after finding an appropriate replacement.

I've seen a video of someone dumping a thousand or more rounds through the c308 to the point of virtual meltdown with the rifle still functioning perfectly, even after the hand guard melted off. He ran the gun harder than anyone ever would even in a combat situation so if they all fall along that line, which remains to be seen, I'd say Century actually got this firearm right. I think I may have seen another torture test video on this model with similar results. As stated, the internals of this thing are formidable and could always be used to bludgeon someone to death if the rifle ever did fail. On a side note the top rail made scoping and sighting in a cinch.

So far, I'm liking the C308, a lot, as is my son. I bought mine for just under $600 and I'm satisfied with that. Bought about 20 or so mags from Cheaper than Dirt for about 40 dollars. Some looked brand new, some not so much. I took a couple of the worst ones to work with me where I disassembled, cleaned, sandblasted, painted and re oiled them. They look great after a coat of Rustoleum flat black. Ergonomically it's right in line with an AK or the like. To sum it up I'd say its a stout battler rifle that's unique, extremely fun, price right and definitely hearkens back to the cold war era. This offering from Century was most definitely the only realistic chance I'd ever have at owning a CETME/G3 style rifle so I'm glad they put them out. So far, without having put hundreds of rounds through it, I'm pretty confident this rifle would serve well in a combat zone. Only time will tell but they seem like well made reliable firearms in spite of their being a relatively low cost semi out 308. If you have a chance to molest one at a gun shop or show, by all means do so. I'd like to hear more of what other's think about them.
    Last edited by rfxcasey; 11-23-2016 at 03:53 PM.

New Recruit Private
    I picked up a c308 few months back after checking every thing out. Looked good. None of the old problems with this new batch. Bolt gap and charging handle all within spec internals all looked good and pretty clean. Trigger needed some TLC, clean and alittle moly grease and she was all good. 100 rounds and it is all good no problems recheck the welds and bolt gap no change. It is a well done buget cetme build and cheaper than doing it yourself. And can always be refinished, but the scope mount is the best feature. Wouldn't have one of these with out it now. Hate the claw mount, if you find one at under 700$ snatch it up won't be around for much longer. Wish I could get a c93 to go with it. Guess I will have to settle for a ar-10.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by drzensen View Post
    I picked up a c308 few months back after checking every thing out. Looked good. None of the old problems with this new batch. Bolt gap and charging handle all within spec internals all looked good and pretty clean. Trigger needed some TLC, clean and alittle moly grease and she was all good. 100 rounds and it is all good no problems recheck the welds and bolt gap no change. It is a well done buget cetme build and cheaper than doing it yourself. And can always be refinished, but the scope mount is the best feature. Wouldn't have one of these with out it now. Hate the claw mount, if you find one at under 700$ snatch it up won't be around for much longer. Wish I could get a c93 to go with it. Guess I will have to settle for a ar-10.

Thank you
    I have glad yours is working out OK or you, but unfortunately not everyone is having the same luck -- http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...d-and-the-ugly
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

New Recruit Private
    I have had the c308 for about 2 months now and have put about 200 rounds through it. I paid $640 for it after shipping and ffl, so I think it was a great price.

The charging handle definitely needs to be manhandled. My bolt gap is on the low side, but still in spec (.010). Recoil has been about what I would expect out of a 308 semi. It has a solid push to it but nothing excessive. I put about 100 rounds through it in a day and my shoulder was fine.

The trigger was definitely not great, but I just got it back from Bill Springfield and it is in a whole nother ball park now. I also got a psr2 stock to put on it. After I got it though I figured out I needed to either do some dremmeling on the stock or I could replace the cetme recoil assembly with a g3, but swapped the caps out. I also got an enhanced g3 buffer from Bill to use as well. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet since I've made the changes though.

Veteran
    Bought one from Black market Arms for $509.00 with shipping. Comes with two 20 round and a 5 round mags.
    Straight out of the box it is badass. Took apart to clean out any debris from manufacture. When I took out to the orchard to shoot it shot without any malfunctions or hang ups. For the price and for what it is used for it is the cat's meow.
    Handles well and gives you and advantage of having any burglar change their religion when they hear the clack of the bolt carrier slamming home.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rokoicepick View Post
    Bought one from Black market Arms for $509.00 with shipping. Comes with two 20 round and a 5 round mags.
    Straight out of the box it is badass. Took apart to clean out any debris from manufacture. When I took out to the orchard to shoot it shot without any malfunctions or hang ups. For the price and for what it is used for it is the cat's meow.
    Handles well and gives you and advantage of having any burglar change their religion when they hear the clack of the bolt carrier slamming home.
    $534 plus 19.99 shipping now.