Thread: OPM Data Breach Gets Personal

OPM Data Breach Gets Personal

I got my letter today ---------

I believe most of you are aware that hackers having been collecting personnel data from Office of Personnel (OPM) for nearly a year before it was discovered. As OPM (in addition to current and
    former govt employees records) is also involved in security clearances, etc, it will be just about anyone who worked for the U.S. Govt including U.S. Military, Contractors and their employees that
    required clearances. A massive breach (4 million originally, I hearing now maybe as many as 12-14 million).

I got a letter from CSID representing the Office of Personnel Management notifying me that my personal information, name, social security number, date of birth, current/former addresses,
    and other information was likely compromised. At first the letter looked suspicious, but it is legit - CSID is being used by OPM and OPM is offering a free 18 month CSID identity theft/fraud
    protection service thru the company. OPM is using CSID to notify those effected by the security breech.

This is just the latest in a long line of data breaches (including IRS, VA) not protecting our personal data/information. I am sure Obama Care and it's data base is also a hackers delite. Being a
    recent victim of a credit card fraud it is getting to be a dangerous world and the U.S. Govt is making it much much worse. I don't trust them to protect anything (other than their jobs).

News reports say this personal information is now being sold on the "dark net".
    Last edited by Buckshot; 06-19-2015 at 06:22 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

got my letter too along with some free credit watch crap for 18 months! awesome i feel so protected now!! it has been proven time and time again that no one can stop hackers or secure any data of any kind when plugged online yet not only do we continue to upload data we continue to mandate more and more be uploaded. like in case you were unaware obama care medical record on line mandate is in full force right now. the internet is an awesome thing but it is not the right medium for every @@@@@@@ thing to be uploaded too!! i shall calm down now!

Senior Veteran
    Got mine as well. If you do the online signup for the credit monitoring be patient - lotta 500 server errors, etc. I managed to fight through it by refreshing the page and resending the data.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I received an e-mail from OPM today.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

I am not sure if I will signup for the service. Obviously the company is hoping a person will become a paying customer. I suspect they maybe even offering this service to the govt for free figuring they
    will snag a bunch of new customers that will stay on as paying customers before it is all over. Depends on how many questions they ask if I try it.

Estimate is now up to 18 million individuals effected. OPM says it is no ones fault.