Thread: Karl Kaps- stuck reticle

Karl Kaps- stuck reticle

I bought a Model 1 KK some years ago and was somewhat disappointed that the vertical adjustment would not function, horizontal was fine though. Kinda bummed, so into the safe it went.

While digging around today I came across it again and decided to dig a little deeper into the problem. After some searching I found a thread on HKPro with a similar issue. While this gentlemens method involved a hair dryer and a stout thump on his work bench, I choose a more cautious approach.

After a one hour session on the deck in the Sun, I backed off the screws and gave the turrents a turn.
    Viola! Both the hori and vert adjustments move the reticle smoothly. The likely culprit is the decades old lubricant used in the building of these wonderful little scopes. A little time in the Sun was just the ticket!

This calls for an adult beverage
    Last edited by seasmoke; 07-20-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: pour speeling
    METUS EST PLENUS TYRANNIS

COG#2011

Well cheers, I'll have one with you. Glad you got it working.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Good for you, nice little trick to remember, might need it some day.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Thumbs up Wow I hope this works on my SG1 scope/ paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by seasmoke View Post
    I bought a Model 1 KK some years ago and was somewhat disappointed that the vertical adjustment would not function, horizontal was fine though. Kinda bummed, so into the safe it went.

While digging around today I came across it again and decided to dig a little deeper into the problem. After some searching I found a thread on HKPro with a similar issue. While this gentlemens method involved a hair dryer and a stout thump on his work bench, I choose a more cautious approach.

After a one hour session on the deck in the Sun, I backed off the screws and gave the turrents a turn.
    Viola! Both the hori and vert adjustments move the reticle smoothly. The likely culprit is the decades old lubricant used in the building of these wonderful little scopes. A little time in the Sun was just the ticket!

This calls for an adult beverage
    Seasmoke, sorry to dig up such an old thread but I am really hoping this may help me to and I am going to give it a try.

Back in 2009 I bought an original Zeiss Diavari DA 1.5-6x42 SG1 scope and quick detach mount for my SG1 clone project. This was an expensive set up I think it set me back about $950.00. Well it was a long time before I got the rifle back from the builder and took it out to the range. I had no problem with the vertical adjustment but I could not get the horizontal adjustment to work. This was quite a while ago but if I remember right I was able to turn the adjustment dial but it had no effect. At the time I had my Hensoldt ZF model Two 4x24 scope with quick detach mount with me so I just used that. Then like you I was afraid the other scope was either ruined or would be an expensive fix so I just set it in the safe and it has been there every since.

After reading this I am really hoping that the old lubricant is the culprit in my case to and that me trying to adjust it when it was stuck didn't break anything. Anyway there is no sun this weekend but I am going to cross my fingers and get out my wife's hair dryer and see if I can get this thing working.

Thank you for posting this sir and I will let everyone know if it worked for me to.

Thank you again,
    TG308

Senior Veteran
    Cool. Let us know how it goes.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

That is great news, sometimes things just work out well.

The Zeiss scope reminded me of when I first got into the gun business.
    I had ordered some surplus rifles thru Shotgun News and a couple came with scopes on them.
    (Back then surplus rifles wholesale were very cheap)
    I went to my first gun show and set up and an old man stopped and looked at my guns and bought the old German rifle with scope I had laying on the table.
    He and his wife left and about 2 hours later he was back with the rifle, but no scope.
    He told me that the scope was the value and very rare.
    He said that he felt bad about buying it so cheap and felt that I didn't know the value.
    I told him it was ok and that I was still learning.
    The rifle was a German sniper rifle with a scope on it.
    He needed the scope off the rifle for one of his rifles.
    Then he handed me the rifle. He said he had been looking for that scope for many years, but he didn't need the rifle.
    it still had the scope mount on it. He said for me to keep it and sell it again.
    I thanked him.
    That was a lesson for me.
    From then on I researched the rifles when I got them in before trying to sell them.
    It took a while to do it but paid off many times over the years.

Sorry for the rambling on, old man remembering
    Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 05-25-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    31B

TG308, hopefully this will work out for you. I was very pleased to get mine zeroed on my PTR91. As to your concerns about breaking something inside by adjusting, I'm of the mind that the adjustment process is not geared, but rather pressure, surface to surface. Heating and loosening the lube allows the internal adjustment gizmos to work their magic, up and down and port to starboard. This is of coarse pure speculation on my part, as I have no knowledge of the inner workings of scopes.

Best of luck with your project, keep us updated.

Cheers

Seasmoke
    METUS EST PLENUS TYRANNIS

COG#2011