Thread: Dogs and WWII history

Senior Veteran

Dogs and WWII history

If you enjoy both you must read "No Better Friend" by Robert Weintraub. Fascinating story of a dog and the amazing adventures she went through during the war, everything from being torpedoed while on a Jap pow ship to surviving internment at a Jap POW camp. Can't say enough about this book. Man's best friend she was!

This was my screen background for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WildBillCody; 08-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    I love you guys...

My mother Just gave me the book for a present. I am looking forward to the story. Thanks for the tip
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Reading it right now and this covers details of the SAND PEBBLES type Gun Boat life and the early disaster of pacific war for the West very well.
    I have been interested in the Fall of the British Empire in the Pacific, Singapore, Dutch East Asia and U.S. Philippines. This book is right on target even though it is about areal life dog. It is about a Dog on a Gun boat and the author weaves the dogs story though historical facts and incidents. You wont put it down if you like history
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    Norton, glad you like it! I am about half way through, a really good book. I did not know so much in the "Sand Pebbles" was factual.

Senior Veteran
    WildBill, wish I had a scanner. Back when this was Cemterifles.com, I was the winner of the first photo contest. I had entered my 1943 1911A1, but the reason was my dad, and I posted a few pics of him, one of which is him with a M50 Reising Gun, taken just before he invaded Guadalcanal.

Senior Veteran
    Wow, I found my entry for the first photo contest on a cd, here are some pics of my dad, and my original entry photo. I had other pics of his discharge papers and other things, but just wanted to post the Reising, and yes, the Marines hated them....
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Recruit
    I'm going to check our local bookstore if they have a copy of that "No Better Friend". If none, then there's always the internet for a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Reading it right now and this covers details of the SAND PEBBLES type Gun Boat life and the early disaster of pacific war for the West very well.
    I have been interested in the Fall of the British Empire in the Pacific, Singapore, Dutch East Asia and U.S. Philippines. This book is right on target even though it is about areal life dog. It is about a Dog on a Gun boat and the author weaves the dogs story though historical facts and incidents. You wont put it down if you like history
    The Pacific campaigns interest me as well, mainly because I'm Filipino, and my Dad and a bunch of relatives and family friends, served in the 1st Filipino regiment. I use to breed Aussies, and of course love dog/WWII stories. PAX