Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CheaperThanDirt--Sometimes Cheaper, but then the Shipping Gets You!

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.

CheaperThanDirt--Sometimes Cheaper, but then the Shipping Gets You!

I needed some gun accessories and cleaning stuff, and it seems local shops often just don't have what I'm looking for. BreakFree CLP or LP in pints? Not locally in any size. AR chamber swabs? Nope again. Gas tube cleaners? Negatory, good buddy. What about recoil pads? Well, Cabelas might, but that's an hour and a half wasted for the trip, if they don't have them. Cheap generic AR slings? Dream on, Dude!

Midway had some of those, Brownells had most, but I don't like to buy from 2 or more places and end up paying for 2 shipping charges.

So off I go to CTD's website. And find the stuff I need, and prices are OK, even a bit cheaper than Midway and Brownells.

BUT! They have this thing about shipping from more than one warehouse. And yes, you pay separate shipping charge for each, and it's actually a bit high to begin with. So when (IF) you order from CheaperThanDirt, watch each item carefully for that warehouse number to be sure you get everything from just one location. I ended up with 2 groups of things from 2 warehouses, but thought OK, I've got enough stuff to spread out the shipping cost. WRONG! $100 worth of merchandise, $25+for shipping. Ouch! I just went ahead with it, since a couple of the items just weren't even in stock elsewhere.

And then, when I've got everything together, I could not get through the checkout. So I copied off my order and tried calling. "The wait time is expected to be over 10 minutes." Got that for 2 days and finally got through. Asked the lady, "Are you all super busy? I couldn't get through the online checkout, and it took several phone calls before I got a wait time of less than 10 minutes." Yep, she says they are super busy. Guess there must be a lot of people who decide to bite the bullet and pay their shipping.
    Last edited by mitchstoner; 12-09-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    Time for the book "The Decline and Fall of the United States of America?"

I have a few places I shop for parts that are easy on the shipping.
    I watch for sales and then add a few items I may need in the future to help with the total on shipping.
    You are correct about the shipping.

It has gotten very high to ship parts, but if you want or need it you just "Bite the Bullet" and get it.

Ron
    31B

Shipping cost are always the killer on small purchases. I have had shipping quotes higher than the purchase price of the item. I generally try to wait until I can
    put together a larger order to spread the costs around. Certain places have low fixed rate shipping, such as Centerfire, AIM, etc. With the Holiday/Christmas sales
    many are offering free shipping for purchases as low as $50. so a good time to be on the look out for that. I am still holding a grudge against CTD for their
    antics during the panic and won't buy from them.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Shipping cost are always the killer on small purchases. I have had shipping quotes higher than the purchase price of the item. I generally try to wait until I can
    put together a larger order to spread the costs around. Certain places have low fixed rate shipping, such as Centerfire, AIM, etc. With the Holiday/Christmas sales
    many are offering free shipping for purchases as low as $50. so a good time to be on the look out for that. I am still holding a grudge against CTD for their
    antics during the panic and won't buy from them.
    I am with you on CTD, Mine goes back to when they sold out to a Group many years ago.
    I quit buying from them then.
    There business practices changed and not for the good IMHO.
    31B

LowerThanDirt.

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

Just once. Never again.
    Joe
    COG#1453

I won't touch them either. Dicks sporting goods opened a store here two years ago. I still refuse to step foot inside.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

Don't care how good a deal CTD has I won't buy from them. Crooks and opportunists.
    "EX ALIS PUGNAMUS"

Super Moderator
    In November 2008 I saw a box of wolf 7.62x39 selling price one day was 3.79 three days later was selling for 28.00. I refuse to buy from anyone that would do that. A profit is one thing, rape is another.

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.
    The way CTD "gouged" when Obama won the past 2 Presidential Elections has been noted many times. There were a lot of companies doing that. In their partial defense, it is hard to justify selling something off the shelf for $5 when the one you order from the distributor/wholesaler to replace it will cost you $15. I think some on here can testify to what that was like from experiences with the shortages and demand in their own businesses.

The demand for certain guns, ammo, and associated products was intense and resulted in a LOT of "out-of-stocks" all over the country. A week or so after this started in 2008 (right after Obama's first inauguration), I sold an AR for about $700 and learned that afternoon I could have got a Grand. I had priced it prior to the panic, to a son of a co-worker. He wasn't in all that big a hurry to buy it, until prices started shooting up. But later on I sold a pretty basic AR for a lot more than that. Do I feel bad? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I had the full expectation that if Obama won, people (unprepared people) would figure "assault weapon" or general gun bans were coming soon, demand would increase, and prices would shoot up. Same with ammo: I bought quite a bit of 5.56, .308, and 7.62x39 with the intent of renting tables at gun shows and selling it fairly high, again, to those who should have seen the handwriting on the wall and prepared, but procrastinated. It ended up, however, that I started getting uncomfortable with my own level of ammo stocks and decided not to sell any.

I do not feel it is ripping anyone off to sell them something they desperately want at whatever price they are willing to pay. In the first place, many who knew enough to buy before the panic, did not. In addition, there are just too many who, if you sold them the item at what was a fair price before a panic, would turn around and resell it, making the huge profit you denied yourself because of your misplaced sense of "fairness." Sneer at those who took advantage of foolish unprepared people if you like.
    Time for the book "The Decline and Fall of the United States of America?"