Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleted User

Can't say as I care enough to google myself. While I occasionally post a picture here, I haven't given anyone a big tour of home and goodies. But your advice is sound and my flip phone gets laughs but I don't need - or want - more phone than it.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    The point I was making was everything they have every "searched" on google is already stored on google. You can delete all you want, but once its on the net, it is always on the net.

Amen to your comments on HR. Always be careful of what you post on the internet, whether it is a forum or another social media page.
    A very true statement.

A few years ago I inherited a lawsuit - a Canadian company had optioned some mineral claims from my father/partners - and when the option agreement was breeched by them, "we" sued. Our position hinged on how they had represented themselves to investors and prospective investors in their press releases in the years before the breech of contract, roughly 1997 to 2005. I was able to find every single one of those press releases online, in spite of the company not keeping archives of any of them. Once you put something out on the net, it's out there, in someone's archive.

I Googled myself, was boring,.....
    I love you guys...

One day I was looking for a photo of a build to show someone and photobucket was running too slow so I just googled "holescreek rifle" and ta-da, there it was - along with pics of rifles I've never owned but may have seen on sites I've visited in the last 10 years. Not only do they know what I've posted but every site I've searched. Even the side advertisemens on web pages keep offering me options to buy stuff I searched for over a year ago. There's no escape if you're plugged in.

& if the sites you go to archive? then its definitely not going anywhere. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Charlie Don't Surf

I screwed up as much as the next kid growing up, but there were no cell phone camera's and social media to record and post my mistakes. The things we did were private and forgotten, but today the kids live their lives through social media. I remind my kinds daily that once its on the net, there is no deleting it. It will always be there and could come up when its time to go to college and get a job. Don't be afraid of the internet, just be smart about how you use it.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

I asked the police department my dad had worked for, for his records. I was kindly advised they might be in a City basement, somewhere, maybe. They did give me a Police shoulder patch. I understood.

However! I have my dads military records from the late 1930s to 1944. For all I know they are now digitized and in the governments private 'cloud'.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    I screwed up as much as the next kid growing up, but there were no cell phone camera's and social media to record and post my mistakes. The things we did were private and forgotten, but today the kids live their lives through social media. I remind my kinds daily that once its on the net, there is no deleting it. It will always be there and could come up when its time to go to college and get a job. Don't be afraid of the internet, just be smart about how you use it.
    this is excellent advice & something the wife & i constantly pound into our kids heads... in todays world... where everyone over shares... there are no secrets.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

It is scary, not only social media, it looks like every city, county, state and federal record that ever existed is available and online. When I was young a person that had a bad run
    of luck could move and start over, not everyone even had a SSAN number, and many states didn't even bother with a picture on their DLs. Use to worry about big brother (Gov)
    spying on us, but they don't have to, social media does it for them. Want to google me you can, including my property and me sitting in my backyard grilling a hamburger in real time -
    it is too much for me.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I googled my house and the picture is about 30+ years ago. I had just put my garbage out front.
    31B