Thread: improving century arms c308 hopefully

New Recruit Private

improving century arms c308 hopefully

Yes I bought a century arms c308 and paid too much but hopefully its a good one .I want to install a HK 91 wide forend and I heard its a pain because of the width or something .I am putting a metal trigger guard too just don't like that plastic one .It looks like it would break on.the first rock fall .Can I put a HK 91 firing pin or is this one different too ? I am going to do a trigger job and change the stock also .I already put a Nikon 3x9 monarch on it .I want to put a larger charging handle too this one is way too small ! It shot good so far 2 inch group at 100 yards with zq1 ammo .Can I change the locking piece to a new one also .I should have just waited and bought a Ptr but I didn't .

Welcome. I've had my C308 since last September and I've really enjoyed it. I have to ask though, how much was "too much"?
    PTR 91, GI model - "Triple B"; Chinese Type 56 SKS - "The Snow Leopard"

New Recruit Private
    After taxes which stink any time I paid $815 but they charged me $760 instead of $699 then added taxes .You can go on line and find them for $640 and $25 shipping and $25 ffl fee so about $690 that way which is what I should have done but I couldn't find one at the time and it was three month layaway .I paid $600 for my HK 91 way back in 1981 .People thought it was like a star wars gun or something back then.I am still kicking myself I could have gotten another HK 91 in 1986 for $500 wish I had of friend had it and begged me to buy it .I want to make this Century c308 shoot as good as possible a trigger job and get rid of the slimline forend that I cant stand they heat up quick .I really don't like the wide HK 91 forend but I found out how to attach a rail system on it and it realm works well .I drilled out the two bipod ribits and put small bolts and drilled holes works good .I want a bipod if I can find a original HK one or I will rig up one .The trigger sucks on this century rifle .I put a real psg1 trigger on my HK 91 it cut groups in.half .I will just get a trigger job done on this century c308.I bought the wide forend just gotta make it fit .I hope the metal trigger guard fits too .Those plastic trigger guards just look cheap and breakable .I hope to get this rifle shooting good we will see !

Senior Veteran
    The firing pins interchange, as do the lowers. You can also just replace the whole trigger group with an HK one, provided its modified to fit the receiver shelf. RTG sells both converted trigger groups and modified lowers for this.

The wide handguard is not too tough a conversion if you have some kind of Dremel like tool.

Just shows you that $500 was a lot more money in the 1980's than it is now! (still a deal though - that $500 is about $1k now, and HK's go for more than that).