Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hk/Cetme flat bending and weldments

New Recruit Private
    What type of all-thread do you recommend for the uni-strut jig? Does the all-thread need to be made of a graded material? If one were to backup the 20mm rod with a piece of say 1/2" x 1/2" square stock that is drilled and placed between the tightening nuts and the 20mm rod, would this prevent the flexing in the middle?

The rod would be best backed by a piece of steel plate on edge, say 1/4 to 3/8" thick and 2" tall. Tack welded along the length of the 20mm bar so it cant flex. The drawback to this idea is that you'd need 2 bars. The one with the plate to do the heavy bending and one without to finish the last little bit as the flat comes together.

The extended rib of the first bar would also provide additional area to press down on.

Additionally, the allthread must pass through holes in the flat itself to keep it centered as it is drawn down.

The ideal set up with this jig would be to mount it on a steel plate or a welding bench or something solid anyways and weld or secure a cut in half large C clamp so you can push down on the 20mm rod in the middle as you tighten the bolts on the sides.

or use a clamp like this one slipping it under the edge of your workbench https://www.zoro.com/bessey-bar-clam...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

My initial plan was to weld a scissor car jack upside down on a frame suspending it over the jig and pushing the middle of the rod with it!

Smacking it with a hammer a few times as the bolts were tightened proved to be the easiest and it worked fine...
    WBZ

New Recruit Private
    Can you show a picture of the clearance notch in the uni-struct that holescreek mentioned

New Recruit Private
    I like the idea , but a couple I questions. Weaponeer shows specks for parts. I see everyone using 5/8 rod. I understand spring in stamped metal. Part is almost 3/4 " that's 1/8 difference. I intend to press into fem5 receiver. Given thickness of the flat, what's a good O.D for male half. Cocking tube is 3/4 +- plus flat thickness. What thought have you ? Ariel23

I've never heard of anyone using a 5/8" rod. Great way to trash a flat.

When folded the ID needs to be 20mm (.787"). I use a 20mm in my setup with a lower die.