Thread: P38 and P1 Pistols

P38 and P1 Pistols

Seems there has been a lot of issues lately, not to include summer heat, keeping me from messing with the old guns. Had
    a break this morning waiting for the grass to dry so I can mow, so got these P38 and P1 pistols out to service.

I am a long gun collector, not a pistol collectors, but have picked up a few different types over the years. These 5 include 2 WW2 P38s,
    one post war P38, a post war P1 (German) and a post war P1 French Manurhin. I do like the way these pistol handle and point. Compared
    to more modern handguns they do have a more awkward mag release and low capacity. I have been told you are pretty much restricted
    to FMJ (that is all I have used) in them or potential jamming issues. One of you may have better info on that that??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Nice collection. I passed them by when they were truly inexpensive because the looks did nothing for me. I also do not like the looks of the alloy P1s. But I did finally get a 1942 Walther P38 that I enjoy shooting on occasion. All I've used are round nose FMJ. I might try Golden Sabers sometime, they have round shape that might work. But generally I just use the 124gr FMJ ball. The gun has more muzzle flip than I expected, but is reliable and accurate. It's neat that you have a Manurhin. I've only seen one in real life. That gun in the first pic looks really good. Is it a P1? I might have to look at them again if so. Thanks for the Pics, Buck.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    Nice collection. I passed them by when they were truly inexpensive because the looks did nothing for me. I also do not like the looks of the alloy P1s. But I did finally get a 1942 Walther P38 that I enjoy shooting on occasion. All I've used are round nose FMJ. I might try Golden Sabers sometime, they have round shape that might work. But generally I just use the 124gr FMJ ball. The gun has more muzzle flip than I expected, but is reliable and accurate. It's neat that you have a Manurhin. I've only seen one in real life. That gun in the first pic looks really good. Is it a P1? I might have to look at them again if so. Thanks for the Pics, Buck.
    The single picture is the Manurhin - I figured most were familiar with them so only took the one single picture and it happened to be it.

Buck first great spread of P 38

I had a West German surplus P 38, It did not cycle H/P very well.
    It also did not cycle mild reloads either
    My boss had his dad's WW2 bring back and we shot it many times it was the same, It liked FMJ
    That same WW2 P 38 (byf?) sometimes would fire if you cycled it with the safety off.
    Maybe some one on the forum has experience with this
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Buck first great spread of P 38

I had a West German surplus P 38, It did not cycle H/P very well.
    It also did not cycle mild reloads either
    My boss had his dad's WW2 bring back and we shot it many times it was the same, It liked FMJ
    That same WW2 P 38 (byf?) sometimes would fire if you cycled it with the safety off.
    Maybe some one on the forum has experience with this
    That for the comment and info - I have shot these, but mostly just to make sure they were in working order. I am definitely no expert on them.

Senior Veteran
    Talk about timing! Thanks for showing... I've been considering getting one of these for our club's military pistol shoots. So even with the weight it has quite a muzzle flip? Does it prefer 115gr or 124gr loads? I've narrowed it down to the P38, Beretta 951, or Beretta 92S. Decisions decisions......
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

"Stick to your gun if you believe in something
    no matter what;
    cause it's better to be hated for who you are
    Than loved for someone you're not. Oh, and try to help someone out." Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by concretus View Post
    Talk about timing! Thanks for showing... I've been considering getting one of these for our club's military pistol shoots. So even with the weight it has quite a muzzle flip? Does it prefer 115gr or 124gr loads? I've narrowed it down to the P38, Beretta 951, or Beretta 92S. Decisions decisions......
    I can not help much as I have not put many rounds through mine. The only guns I have in 9mm Luger are them plus my UZI and all my ammo is 115gr, so can not speak for other loads.

Veteran
    Nice pistol collection for a long gun enthusiast! Thanks for sharing!

Senior Veteran

Very nice collection!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer