Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop/Secured Storage Building Project

Shop/Secured Storage Building Project

I have thought about building a shop/gun storage building before, but made up my mind to actually move on the project this
    coming year. Ideally I will have reinforced concrete walls, the whole works. Divide it in two with a floor to ceiling chain
    length barrier separating the storage from the work/office area. Heat/air conditioning, and would like an office area, with
    toilet, shower, day bed, etc. Hopefully 25'X50', but it may end up much simpler depending on the cost??

Anyway, I want to enclose two of these sea/land 20X8X8 containers in the storage/display end. They would have to go in after
    I pour the pad, but before the actual structure (walls) went up. Once enclosed there will be no way to add more or take them out.
    I have many items to include ammo that can not be stored in gun safes, but need some security. These should allow me
    to do that.

I checked out the containers today and took a couple of pictures. ----. I am in the thinking planning stage so any ideas/advice
    would be appreciated. Going to get my rough draft together in the next couple of weeks and talk to a builder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-28-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Really rough draft - just thinking ----

For those that do not know live on a farm with my home site surrounded by my own fields - no walking to my place. No neighbors or anyone to worry
    about jumping a fence.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-28-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Senior Veteran
    I think it all looks and sounds great! Nice layout. Good idea with the shipping containers as well, extra large safes.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

You need to rethink the 20' one's.
    I have been looking at them for a while and now I plan to buy 2 of the 40' ones.
    There is not much difference in price around here. I have not priced them here in a while, so I don't know the current prices.

I have a couple guys that worked for me that had them placed on a slab and then built a metal building around them.
    One bought 2 of the 20' and still regrets it. Put them side by side.

The other one bought 2 of the 40' and had them stacked on the slab and then a build a metal building around them.
    He uses the bottom one for storage and build a small office and living area on the one on top.
    He parks his RV inside the building and when the grandsons come they stay in the one on top.

Before buying one have them run a water hose across the top to check for leaks.
    Make sure the locking latches work correctly on them.

Good luck.
    Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 12-28-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    31B

I appreciate the thoughts and I am open to ideas. I would still have a few gun safes in addition to the containers, might even put them inside
    the containers as layered security.

The sea/land containers I am looking at are considered grade "A" one time use containers. In short, they made one trip from Asia to here and were not reused.
    Sat at an Army base for a few years and then sold.

It would be cheaper to buy one 40' vs two 20', but I am afraid the larger one might be too deep and I want everything easily accessible, plus the 40"
    would force me to extend the building length. I am not sure I could use one for hanging out, or office space, I am a little claustrophobic and might
    not be comfortable using one for that. Something to think about though???

I already have a large metal building behind the house I could put them in, but metal building does not offer much external security. I use it now for equipment,
    tractor trailers, etc.

I also have two 40' X 400' (16,000 square feet or total of 32,000 square feet) chicken houses in good shape that have been stripped
    for storage. Unfortunately they are not located near the house and not in a secured area such as the home site. I would want the gun collection
    right behind the house.

I might have to think a little about the metal building (barn) behind the house as it is big and tall and I could possibly double stack containers in it. It would be a lot
    cheaper to convert it than build a new structure. It already has water/electricity. If costs look high it will be my fall back plan. I would like concrete walls vs
    metal though.

Just thinking out-loud ---

you have to figure out what will work for you.
    Just giving you some options.
    I usually figure out what I need the add some to it or double it.
    In the long run is saves time and money.
    I have seen some that have a wood wall with windows and a door in the front entry,
    but can close the metal doors in the front for max security to lock it up.

Good luck.
    RON
    Last edited by Planning; 12-28-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    31B

Senior Veteran
    If you also want to use it as an emergency shelter, think about how high you go - the lower to the ground, the better in case of a Tornado/high winds. The only other thing I thought about was managing humidity inside the gun/ammo storage. Not sure how humid it gets in your area, but de-humidification may be something to look at when you plan for the AC.
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    If you also want to use it as an emergency shelter, think about how high you go - the lower to the ground, the better in case of a Tornado/high winds. The only other thing I thought about was managing humidity inside the gun/ammo storage. Not sure how humid it gets in your area, but de-humidification may be something to look at when you plan for the AC.
    We can get some humidity here, so yes I will have to do something about that. I will probably rack and display some guns outside the storage container and gun safes (except
    when I am out of the area), so will do the whole building with air-conditioning/humidity control. Will use propane heaters and would be nice to have a wood stove - we will see??

I'm fond of this one. When I get a chance, it's going in the back corner of the forest as a mother in law unit.

Dispenser of the Haterade.

Rather interesting what people can do with them - everything from living quarters to barns ---