Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop/Secured Storage Building Project

Chief if you decide to use your metal building to put the containers in would it be possible to use cinder block to build a room around them? A good solid flat roof and you could have storage above them.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    Chief if you decide to use your metal building to put the containers in would it be possible to use cinder block to build a room around them? A good solid flat roof and you could have storage above them.
    That will likely be my backup plan if cost estimates get too high for a new building.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

In a small town about an hour NW of Vegas the property owners put two 40' containers underground, end to end, for a handgun shooting range. I didn't see the completed range, they had just lowered the containers into the trenches. The average lot size is 2.5 acres there with the desert nearby, but this way they didn't have to leave town to shoot and test loads.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fal_762x51 View Post

I'm fond of this one. When I get a chance, it's going in the back corner of the forest as a mother in law unit.
    Gonna need some bars and a padlock

Project is still being planned. Getting with a builder shortly. Found price of concrete is outrages, so concrete walls are out. Found a good deal on a Red Iron 30'X40' kit
    insulated and thinking about it. Of course pad will be have to be concrete and plummed for utilities. Still use the sea/land steel containers for additional security enclosed inside
    the building. Builder is an engineer and will work with me for additional security features. Just need to get him free to discuss the project. I guess it is a good sign that
    he is busy, as in this area anyone that builds not busy is not any good (LOL).

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Project is still being planned. Getting with a builder shortly. Found price of concrete is outrages, so concrete walls are out. Found a good deal on a Red Iron 30'X40' kit
    insulated and thinking about it. Of course pad will be have to be concrete and plummed for utilities. Still use the sea/land steel containers for additional security enclosed inside
    the building. Builder is an engineer and will work with me for additional security features. Just need to get him free to discuss the project. I guess it is a good sign that
    he is busy, as in this area anyone that builds not busy is not any good (LOL).
    Looking forward to hearing your final plans and seeing this being built/completed.

Got me thinking about buying a small piece of land out in the country as a weekend getaway/personal range. Put me one of those storage containers on it to put range related stuff in as well as camping gear and other stuff needed out there.
    Last edited by scottz63; 01-25-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran

If concrete walls are out, how about cinder block with rebar and concrete fill? You could hire out the block work and do the filling yourself - concrete is pretty cheap with a $200 Harbor Freight mixer and a few truckloads of 3/4" plant mix - I've mixed roughly 40 tons that way between all the buildings and mortar work we've done at my place in the last 15 years. The trick is small batches, which would be fine for filling out block walls. Just a thought.

I'd also look at structural insulating panels if you can't do monolithic concrete. Probably too pricey for such a building, but they are really cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Might be worth thinking of for the long term heating/cooling costs. If I were building another house I would use those.

Senior Veteran
    How much are those steel shipping containers?
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    If concrete walls are out, how about cinder block with rebar and concrete fill? You could hire out the block work and do the filling yourself - concrete is pretty cheap with a $200 Harbor Freight mixer and a few truckloads of 3/4" plant mix - I've mixed roughly 40 tons that way between all the buildings and mortar work we've done at my place in the last 15 years. The trick is small batches, which would be fine for filling out block walls. Just a thought.

I'd also look at structural insulating panels if you can't do monolithic concrete. Probably too pricey for such a building, but they are really cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Might be worth thinking of for the long term heating/cooling costs. If I were building another house I would use those.
    I retired from Army with wire, plates and screws holding things together and it has caught up with me the last few years, so I am limited on the heavy work. The builder was talking about insulating panels and a double steel wall
    structure. He will meet me out here next week and firm things up. He is tied up until end of Feb with current projects. he gave me a head ups that prices were due to jump on building kits 17% and recommended I lock price in,
    plus it can take them several weeks to put a package together.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    How much are those steel shipping containers?
    Grade "A" containers 20X8X8, which only made one trip across the pond, are $2,800. delivered. Grade "B" are somewhat less, but still good containers, just a little more banged/scratched up. The ones I am looking at were
    used once by the military to return equipment from overseas, sat on a military base for a couple of years and then sold off. I will likely get 2 of them, maybe 3, and they will be enclosed in the building. These have nice
    plywood floors screwed over the corrugated steel floor.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I retired from Army with wire, plates and screws holding things together and it has caught up with me the last few years, so I am limited on the heavy work. The builder was talking about insulating panels and a double steel wall
    structure. He will meet me out here next week and firm things up. He is tied up until end of Feb with current projects. he gave me a head ups that prices were due to jump on building kits 17% and recommended I lock price in,
    plus it can take them several weeks to put a package together.
    Can't argue with that!