Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero help

150's shooting 6" higher than 168's is not unusual to me, I had the same thing happen shooting 7.62x54r's. My question was relative to old scope vs. new. Running out of adjustment is probably a mount issue however I have had it happen with a bad scope (vortex crossfire II) after it took a beating from 54r. One day it was on target shooting good groups, the next it wasn't on the cardboard and would take .08" shim to get it close. In fact I've killed two Crossfire II scopes with 54r.

Senior Veteran
    My Mosin shoots around 6" higher with just different brands of ammo. If I zero in Russian surplus at 100 yards then shoot Silver Bear at the same target, Silver Bear hits right at 6" high at 100 yards. Noticeable sound and kick difference as well.

Edit: This is with iron sights.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Tanker, is there any way you can mount the new scope to the old mount and test it like that? Often the bases or the mount makes all the difference.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    Tanker, is there any way you can mount the new scope to the old mount and test it like that? Often the bases or the mount makes all the difference.
    Good idea. Or the old scope to the new mount and see if it does the same thing.

Charlie Don't Surf

THe other bases are on the rifle, but I had to change rings. I had to buy some Angle Loc rings due to the change in tube length on the scopes and the custom hole locations that were drilled. I'll get some pics and post.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    THe other bases are on the rifle, but I had to change rings. I had to buy some Angle Loc rings due to the change in tube length on the scopes and the custom hole locations that were drilled. I'll get some pics and post.
    So that narrows it down to the new scope or new rings being the problem.