Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M14 selector lever vs. button

M14 selector lever vs. button

I finally picked up a flash suppressor with the bayonet lug for my m1a while I was getting some other parts from Fulton Armory. Eventually I'd like to fill in the hole in my wood stock. I see there's two options for the replica f/a pieces which would fill in the wood. What's the difference between the button and switch? I assume one was an early adaptation and the other came about later? What would have been correct for Vietnam era?
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

OK, I could only remember the switch from my limited handling/use of them in the military. I had to check on the button thing - apparently they were simply a fill in the hole block when the full
    auto switch was removed. Many military M14 rifles were blocked to semi-auto use only as they found they had issues being used on full auto. In short, button modified to semi-auto, switch full auto.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-15-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

The rifles with the switches were given to certain individuals not the average grunt. Who would just hurt himself or someone else while trying to use it. Either is appropriate for Nam era rifle. I got the kit from Sparrowhawk for my rifle because it looked the most "original" when installed. I bought a original M-14 stock refinished it, I figured everything would kinda drop in. I have a early Springfield M-1A, it did not, and I didn't feel like cutting on certain things, so I just sold the stock and kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love you guys...

I am currently using two really nice military stocks on mine - one on M1A and other on Poly M14. One has hole block with matching wood plug and hardly noticeable - the other I left
    the hole alone. These are really just display stocks if I decide on shooting them a lot or taking them out in field I will switch to milsurp plastic stocks or original wood stocks.

I put the sparrow hawk kit on mine, only attaches to the wood, fills in the hole nicely.
    I also have another figured stock with the metal bits available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As above installed Sparrow Hawk's kit on these two. Chose the lock out button over the switch.

" They couldn’t hit Elephants at this dist..."

7.62x51 Gleefully Turning Cover Into Concealment

Semper Fidelis

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    OK, I could only remember the switch from my limited handling/use of them in the military. I had to check on the button thing - apparently they were simply a fill in the hole block when the full
    auto switch was removed. Many military M14 rifles were blocked to semi-auto use only as they found they had issues being used on full auto. In short, button modified to semi-auto, switch full auto.
    In Viet Nam I was armed with the M-16. I got my hands on an M-14 with selector. I fired it from the hip. The recoil locked my wrist with my finger unable to get off the trigger. The rifle started rising and I couldn't control it. The magazine ran out with the rifle pointing up about 45 degrees. That was enough for me.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

I've watched guys handle the M14 on full just fine, but they had experience in handling it. If you don't know what to expect then I'm sure it was an "eye opening" experience and you'll swear it's uncontrollable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kersey View Post
    I've watched guys handle the M14 on full just fine, but they had experience in handling it. If you don't know what to expect then I'm sure it was an "eye opening" experience and you'll swear it's uncontrollable.
    Again limited experience with M14 in military, but seem short bursts were controllable. Heck even the M16 will climb on sustained full auto and 5.56 is not near as powerful as the 7.62X51 round

I put a military surplus stock on my Norinco then I installed Sparrowhawk’s kit. It took some grinding and filing but it looks the part now. He had an excellent tutorial on his site. I chose the selector.
    "EX ALIS PUGNAMUS"