Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #17, 36 Degree Locking Piece & Recoil Management for PTR 91

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    You're right! I've been thinking of it all wrong. On a good running rifle (no issues like I found on the C308) the carrier shouldn't make contact with the standard buffer. I guess I failed to take into consideration that the heavy buffers (after looking at a photo of them) protrude further towards the chamber which causes the carrier to strike them all the time right? I've never owned one so I'm guessing there is a two stage spring assembly to slow the carrier down.

I'd assumed they were the same length as a standard buffer but with a different spring setup. The extra length would make a difference. Maybe someday I'll get to test one out.

Is one company's heavy buffer better than anothers?
    I only have experience so far with the HK MSG90/PSG1 buffer and the HK two stage heavy buffer. I have two of the heavy buffers and one MSG90 buffer. They are both really nice and a big improvement over the standard buffer but I am not sure that either one is better. At the time I was getting parts together for my builds there were no other options for enhanced buffers. However since then I have heard really good reviews of the PCS improved buffer and the Bill Springfield buffers. If they had been offered at the time I would have tried one of these more affordable versions. Both the PCS improved buffer and the MSG90 buffer are longer than standard buffer but have the same outer diameter so they can be used in the HK plastic stocks with no modifications. The HK heavy two stage buffer is longer than a standard buffer but also has a larger outer diameter. I modified my PRSII stock for the HK heavy two stage buffer and my other heavy buffer came from HK in my SG1 stock. I put the MSG90 buffer in an FMP OD buttstock.

One thing that is cool about the ones Bill Springfield offers is that it is new internals for the standard buffer so you can use it in wood stocks with no modifications. He also makes one that I am going to get which is upgraded internals for the buffers used in the G3 collapsible stocks (this is the only option for an upgraded buffer for these stocks). The new internals include a new (longer?) and different rate spring as well as an extended piston that protrudes farther into the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by concretus View Post
    I ordered a butt pad and the enhanced buffer from Mr. Springfield. I figured after all your information, teaming those with the brake will help a lot.
    You will notice a big difference for sure. The butt pad is really nice. I have these on two stocks and am planning to buy a couple more.

Senior Veteran
    Mr. Great 308:
    You said,"One thing that is cool about the ones Bill Springfield offers is that it is new internals for the standard buffer so you can use it in wood stocks with no modifications." If one day I decided to install a wooden butt stock, Does that mean the unit I've purchased from Mr. Springfield. will not work and that it is only good for the fixed plastic stock?
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

"Stick to your gun if you believe in something
    no matter what;
    cause it's better to be hated for who you are
    Than loved for someone you're not. Oh, and try to help someone out." Van Zant

Mr. Great 308:
    You said,"One thing that is cool about the ones Bill Springfield offers is that it is new internals for the standard buffer so you can use it in wood stocks with no modifications." If one day I decided to install a wooden butt stock, Does that mean the unit I've purchased from Mr. Springfield. will not work and that it is only good for the fixed plastic stock?
    No, it will work fine in wood HK stocks. I think perhaps I worded my previous post poorly. What he sells is either a DYI kit with a replacement upgraded buffer spring and longer piston (In this case you tear down your standard HK buffer, remove the internals and replace with the internals from the kit.) or a standard HK buffer that Bill has already installed his upgraded replacement internals in.

Below is a quote directly from Bill Springfield's site:

HK91 standard recoil buffers have a fairly stout felt recoil. I have developed a new piston and spring assembly that reduces the felt recoil up to 30%+. Works on any HK or clone utilizing the the standard assembly pictured above. This is a great addition to collector grade HK-91's, wood stocked, Magpul stocks...etc. This is an alternative where modification to the buttstock is needed for the larger MSG-90 or dual piston G3 heavy buffers.

Senior Veteran
    WHEW! Good; I'm glad the buffer assembly will drop in a wood stock. I was fortunate to find a G3 wood stock set. I really like the look of the early models...Thanks
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

no matter what;

WHEW! Good; I'm glad the buffer assembly will drop in a wood stock. I was fortunate to find a G3 wood stock set. I really like the look of the early models...Thanks
    Which butt pad did you get? The HK21 butt pad will not work on the wood HK stock but the E&L one would. What is even better is HK parts sells an enhanced rubberized butt pad for the wood HK stocks. I have not tried it personally but I have heard great reviews about it.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewP...idcategory=114

Here is a thread about it:

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ght=wood+stock

PS,
    By the way if you bought the HK21 butt pad and now do not want or need it send me a PM I need another one. I could possibly buy it or trade you something for it. I have a bunch of HK parts and magazines that I will be selling to raise funds for other parts.
    Last edited by The Great 308; 04-20-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great 308 View Post
    Which butt pad did you get? The HK21 butt pad will not work on the wood HK stock but the E&L one would. What is even better is HK parts sells an enhanced rubberized butt pad for the wood HK stocks. I have not tried it personally but I have heard great reviews about it.

PS,
    By the way if you bought the HK21 butt pad and now do not want or need it send me a PM I need another one. I could possibly buy it or trade you something for it. I have a bunch of HK parts and magazines that I will be selling to raise funds for other parts.
    Thanks for the tip on the butt pad for the wood stock. I have a black stock set with the wide hand guard I was going to use the butt pad with...

no matter what;

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great 308 View Post

PS,
    Tanks! ordered the pad this morning!!!

no matter what;