Here is the slide stop removed from the pistol:

It's either forged or cast. "49" is the last two digits of the serial number. We saw this on the other example too.

The last two digits are also seen on the ejector:

A look into the trigger group:

The pointy thingee that looks a bit like the tip of a knife blade projecting forward on the right side of the frame is the magazine safety lever:

Without a magazine inserted, it rests in the position shown above and disconnects the trigger from the sear. When you insert a magazine, the back of it catches the tip of this lever and raises it slightly, allowing the trigger bar to then interact with the sear.

A view into the bottom of the slide after removal from the frame but before disassemble:

The last three digits of the serial number are stamped into the bottom rear of the slide:

The firing pin is retained in a typical way:

To remove it, you just press it in with a toothpick or some other small tool and then slide the retaining plate down. Next, you search your kitchen for 10 minutes looking for the firing pin that went flying out the back under spring tension. Then, when it's nowhere to be found, you realize your dog already scarfed it up so you follow him or her around for the next few days searching through his or her poop until you find it. Life is grand.

A general rear view of the slide:

Note that this one has white dots painted on the rear sight where the earlier one had no dots. While I cannot 100% guarantee that these were applied at the factory, they appear to be so to me.

Another view:

The front sight has orange paint applied:

I'm almost 100% certain this was done by a previous owner. It would come off easy enough but I'll just leave it alone as it's not hurting anything and I'm never going to shoot this thing anyways. I'll leave that to the next owner.

The "cradle":

Just as we saw on the other P15, it's numbered to the pistol and, just as we saw on the other one, it's bare metal but took on a nice looking multi-colored appearance from the hardening process.

It appears this part had someone's fingerprint on it when it was hardened and now it's preserved for posterity. Those crazy Frenchies:

A detail shot of the feed ramp:

Last three digits of the serial number on the barrel lug:

Other barrel markings:

Unlike the barrel lug, these are visible through the ejection port when the pistol is assembled:

The cam slot is roughly machined on this example just as it is on the earlier one:

I assume they are ALL roughly machined. However, you can't feel it when you pull the slide to the rear. Mind you, it's not SIG 210 smooth by a long shot but it's pretty respectable nonetheless.

The breech face:

This photograph also illustrates the general rough machining seen throughout the interior of the slide. Again, it's not really evident in use but I'm spoiled by Swiss workmanship so I nitpick things like this. In the end, it's a tool, not a work of art.

In contrast, the exterior surfaces are all very well machined as this view illustrates:

No, it's nowhere near pre-WWII smooth but it's pretty good by typical 1970's standards.

Next, we come to the magazine. When I bought this pistol, it came with three magazines in a bag delineating them as aftermarket in addition to the one in the pistol. It is known that late MAB produced magazines had stamped floorplates instead of the machined floorplate seen on earlier pistols. BUT, everything I have read says that all magazines made by MAB had metal followers. This one has both a stamped floorplate and a plastic follower. Either the original was lost or MAB did produce some with plastic followers. If that is true, it's wouldn't be the first time I've learned that accepted information was wrong. Still, since this one is missing the manual and, I presume, the inspection certificate, I must concede that it's possible the original magazine has also been lost and replaced with an aftermarket one. However, the original packing bag IS present so it's also possible that, while the paperwork was stored separately from the pistol and subsequently lost, the rest of the package was kept together and has survived intact. I simply do not know. Whatever the case, the pictures below present the magazine that was in the pistol when I purchased it. I'll leave it to you to decide for yourself whether or not it's original.

This example has without a doubt been fired but very little judging by the general lack of wear. The following picture shows a small mark on an otherwise pristine front strap:

Whether this is a punch mark from a hardness test or an idiot mark, I cannot say. I present it here merely for research purposes.

And that's it for this one. We'll finish up by looking at a few general illustrations of both pistols and boxes side by side. First is a left side view with the earlier example on the bottom:

And a right side view in the same orientation:

Personally, I think the later one has a more polished exterior but they are pretty close. But the HOWCO import mark and "St. Etienne" inspection stamps on the later one are a bit of a turn off to me so I prefer the earlier one. Regardless, considering the condition and age of these pistols, I count myself lucky to have them. I'll most likely sell the HOWCO one now that I've illustrated it but it doesn't cost me anything other than space to keep it so I'm in no great hurry to let it go.

This last picture shows the two boxes side by side:

I like the understated green but the garish gold one is pure 70's. Both are well made though and I wish modern pistols came packaged like this instead of plastic fantastic boxes with el cheapo icky hinges that will eventually break. I store these Frenchies on a shelf in the house where they add to the décor. For me, hey harken back to an earlier time when things made more sense and I was younger. I get a nostalgic vibe from them and I like it. You younger folk will think I'm strange but you older fellows know where I'm coming from. OK, I'm rambling at this point so it's time to finish up.

This concludes my 2 1/2 year old thread on the MAB P-15. In some ways, it's a modern pistol, built like a tank and ready with 15 rounds of 9mm goodness. In other ways, its a single action obsolete dinosaur with a goofy magazine safety that hinders more than it helps. Whichever view you take, modern or obsolete, you can't deny that it's the world's first mass produced 15 round handgun and it'll still get the job done 53 years after it first hit the market. If you ask me, for those reasons alone it deserves a respected place in firearm History....even if it is French. Sorry about that last comment. I can't help it; I'm of German descent. Vive le France!!! There...is that better?