Thread: New Gunsmithing laws drive a great smith out of the business

Unhappy New Gunsmithing laws drive a great smith out of the business

Some of you guys may know Jim Balogh of Black River Gunsmithing in Grafton Ohio. He gave up his License last year because of changes in the law whereby almost anything you do a s gunsmith is now classified as manufacturing requiring a very expensive annual license fee. (I think that it is somewhere around $2500 per year). He decided that with his very marginal earnings from this work it just wasn't worth it. I showed up just one day before he was quitting so he did some work for me while I waited.

He did my builds, conversions, modifications and repairs for over 20 years. Also, he was happy to have me watch and learn and he would teach me anything that I wanted to know. It was sad to see him leave the field after so many years. I owe him a great deal for all his help over the years. He still has a very viable custom machine and fab shop that he continues to operate.

I moved into a retirement community last year where I could not take my extensive gun collection so I sold off over 40 guns and all my tools, ammo, reloading equipment and supplies. I kept a couple of handguns for recreational range use but that's it. I just had my right shoulder replaced two months ago (I did my left shoulder 18 months ago) so I have not been able go shooting for a while but I hope to get back to the range soon...maybe just 22 for a while.

But I digress, I think the new "gunsmithing is manufacturing laws" really stink and I will miss associating with Jim. I wonder how any others have also been driven from the field for the same reasons. I guess it was a parting gift from the Obama gang.
    Last edited by 97th Signalman; 05-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.

97th Signal Bn, 7th Army Main Communications, Germany, 1960-63

There were a couple White House petitions last fall on it but neither gathered enough support to act upon. I think a lot of guys just had the "doesn't effect me" attitude about it or bought the lie that it doesn't effect most gunsmiths. Up until it was passed I'd make barrels to keep busy and extra gun money. Never very many, and certainly no where near the number needed to pay for the ITAR registration. Hopefully at some point it will get looked at as one of obamas 11th hour gun control grabs and will be corrected.

Senior Veteran

It wasn't a law, it was a State Department regulation that required anyone involved in anything resembling gunsmithing to register with the State Dept as a "weapons manufacturer" for the purpose of international reporting. Had Trump not won, this would probably have resulted in a Congressional bill opposing it, there was broad support for that among the Republicans. As it stands now it will probably quietly disappear - at least we can hope so.

the crap they have put in totally stopped me from taking my gunsmith courses & getting my certificate....
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

What about making gun parts?
    I love you guys...

Read #2 Registration Required. Pretty much anything a gunsmith would do other than generic parts swap with no machining/fitting is covered. Fitting a new barrel, threading a barrel for a muzzle break, swapping the bottom metal on a rifle to accept detachable mags, inletting a stock, trueing up an action, rechambering an existing barrel, and more are now covered under ITRAR. https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/complia...ufacturers.pdf

Senior Veteran

Yeah, that was it.

I don't think the Trump admin has undone this rule, but I doubt they would push to prosecute on it like Obama was going to do. Elections do matter, whether one's a fan of Trump or not.

I haven't followed up on it since I saw the letter from the US Reps. Somewhere in the RKBA sub-forum is a link to that.

Last edited by Ghoulardi; 05-20-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!