Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CETME modelo B replicación

Senior Veteran

CETME modelo B replicación

Noskov...this is all your fault, thank you!

Back in 2013 I purchased a CETME bipod and metal hand guard thinking it would be used to do a retro build of an early G3 some day. While gathering information I started looking into the early CETME models and found the CETME model B to be quite interesting visually and historically as just around the corner a year later the G3 would be officially adopted. I wondered what the chances would be of finding enough parts to replicate one? I guess the first thing would be to start looking, the second would be to have patience.

The model B, or should I say Fusil de Asalto CETME modelo B, started production in 1957 and was adopted by the Spanish military as the model 58 which can be identified by the markings on the receiver known as the CETME - 58.
    3545206 (Custom) (Custom).jpg
    F.A. CETME - 58 Cal. 7,62mm
    E.T. serial number

Nomenclature: (correct to my knowledge)
    F.A.: (Fusil de Asalto) Assault rifle
    CETME: (Centro de Estudios Tecnicos de Materiales Especiales) Center for Technical Studies of Special Materials
    58: (modelo) model
    Santa Barbara logo: (sword in front of cog/gear)
    E.T.: (Ejercito de Tierra) Land Army, followed by the serial number

Other abbreviations that may be found in front of the serial number:
    F.A. (Fuerza Aérea) Air Force
    F.N. (Fuerza Naval) Navy

I've seen photos that show the letter B as the model. I believe this to be on some of the first production rifles, the model A's were also marked this way.
    db897babe55a85fc3b3dbad99351e58d (Custom) (Custom).jpgso32jd (Custom) (Custom) (Custom).jpg
    F.A. CETME
    B- serial number

On and off over the past few years I dove into the CETME B project looking for parts, original literature and downloading every picture I could get my hands on. I pulled a few from my files.
    Untitled-1 (Custom) (Custom).jpg58516371 (Custom) (Custom).jpg299295_501080759927316_1702639142_n (Custom) (Custom).jpgUntitled (Custom) (Custom).jpg1463521_527078314055113_1103134605_n (Custom) (Custom).jpg52327371 (Custom) (Custom).jpgS2QhOVy LARGE (Custom).jpg19085473 edit (Custom) (Custom).jpg

Thankfully RTG came out with the slab side receiver during that period. At that point I could really start to visualize the possibility of this actually looking like a CETME should. About a year later, 2014, I found the carry handle assembly and the correct back plate/recoil assembly. Still a pile of parts at this point.

Somewhere along the way in 2015 I purchased a CETME C kit with the original barrel to use as the foundation. It had the later style cocking tube. Getting antsy to start and not wanting to fund a partial kit nor could I find just the correct tube at the time I went with what I had....of course now that it's built I have two or three of the style tubes that should of been used. I didn't want to go through the trouble or risk of trying to swap the cocking tube so it will have to stay.

With that said, the cocking tube had to be moved forward to allow for the carry handle mount to fit between the back of the tube and rotate on the thin sleeve that extends into the receiver. A small section at the rear of the tube along the OD was milled out, this allows for the carry handle to stop at 90° when it's in the upright position.

If you know about cocking tube gap, moving the tube about a half inch forward meant that something had to compensate for the difference. Fortunately on the CETME the front of the bolt carrier tube seats inside the cocking tube support. There was enough room inside the support to add a fixed steel insert, basically its the same length as what I moved the tube forward to allow for the carry handle. In essence, the cocking tube gap was set by the length of the spacer. The photo in the album below shows a makeshift spacer(s) I was using to determine the length I needed. Once that was set a solid piece was cut and fitted into the support.

I felt I had enough parts to keep going except for a rear sight. I figured I would end up having to find some sort of sliding leaf rear sight that resembled the model B, the thought of ever finding an original didn't even cross my mind.

A year ago this month I found a rear sight with the base. The guy didn't want to ship and it took some doing. With the help of a third party I managed to get it. That purchase took almost a month complete.
    51 (Custom).JPG

The front sight at the time of the build was what came with the kit, enough that I could a least get it together. If and when I
    ever found a model B front sight it would be a fairly easy swap. A couple of Century guns would intermittently show up on GB that had the correct front sight I needed but I passed. They're easy to buy, tough to sell...I'll leave it at that.

Not too long after I put this together in 2016, my WTB post for a model B flash hider paid off. I get a PM to send my address and one will be on the way...what?...how much and where do I send payment?
    I won't go into details but I am truly grateful. Along with the flash hider was original set of model B grips and a 1960 hard cover manual, ...and a friend added a couple of items; a brass pull through cleaning chain w/ brush, a couple of springs, end cap and a model B selector. The selector will only work with a B lower because it is fitted from the right side.
    A mi amigo en el extranjero, si por casualidad lees esto, sabes quién eres ... muchas gracias de nuevo!
    29 (Custom).JPG

So another dilemma arises, model B grips do not fit the model C lower I'm using....unless? Sometimes you have to be a little bit unethical and step outside the box. If I didn't post this you'd probably never know.
    28 (Custom).JPGDSCF0576 (Custom) (Custom).JPG
    If anyone has a true model B lower, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Moving ahead to early 2017 some CETME parts show up for sale and there's my front sight. Along with the parts is a receiver that I didn't need...ugh! Now I'm thinking I should of just bought one of the Century guns I mentioned earlier. After a couple of PM's back and forth they decided to sell me just the parts. Thank you!

That's about 4 years worth in a nut shell. I've posted scant pictures here and there but had my mind made up that I'd wait until I installed the correct front sight before putting up some final pics of what I ended up with ...and a little story behind it.

This link is to an album of some pics I took throughout this build/journey. Too many to post here but if your interested they'll give you a little insight how this project came together.
    Below are some pics of where it's at now and some of the literature that I've been able to pick up along the way.Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by 21HK; 07-30-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Nomenclature info update 7/30

Senior Veteran

Senior Veteran

Senior Veteran

Very nice! How's it shoot? Any noticible difference compared to a C?

Awesome build! I have seen your WTB ads over the years and was hoping you would be able to get the parts together to build this. The entire build looks great and I am really impressed at how you modified the lower.

Senior Veteran
    Thanks holes!
    Shoot?...damn hate to admit it but I don't know yet. Other than cosmetics it's still has the C mechanics, I don't think there would really be anything to compare except for the sight picture. I changed the guide rod on the early back plate with a standard C length and captured spring. Not having or knowing how long a model B spring is supposed to be it was just easier.

Still has the C sight in these pictures and is not adjusted for windage, you can see the post is slightly off to the right.
    DSC_9371 (Custom).JPG
    DSC_9422 (Custom).JPG

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great 308 View Post
    Awesome build! I have seen your WTB ads over the years and was hoping you would be able to get the parts together to build this. The entire build looks great and I am really impressed at how you modified the lower.
    Sorry I didn't catch your post earlier, I see you snuck it in when I was working on my reply above...thanks and appreciate the comment.

The mod to the lower came about quite unexpected in a good way and I had to figure out a plan to use those grips. I was a little surprised at how much wider the B grips were to the grip frame on the C lower. Looking at countless photos I knew there was a difference but I didn't know until I actually had something to go by.

This was my original intention before the B grips arrived.
    DSC_4663 (Custom) - Copy (Custom).JPG

You're better off with the C internals for shooting modern loads anyway.

I was at the Cody firearms museum in Wyoming a few weeks ago and they have an "HKG3" downstairs that looked suspiciously like a Cetme Model B to me. If it was really an HK then it was one of the earliest ones and they used some of the same parts. The handguards and flash suppressor look the same, the right handguard is even cut out for the handle
    Last edited by holescreek; 07-28-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Did you take any photos of it?
    The STG CETME, '56/'57 would of looked mostly CETME possibly stamped HK or HK-CETME on the mag well. NWM of Holland was similar when they were contracted to produce the CETME. The early NWM brochure that has the fold outs in the center alludes to a definite CETME / HK marriage.

I was going to put a link to your post about that brochure but I see Photobucket pulled the pics.

NWM
    14-003 (Custom).jpg
    Last edited by 21HK; 07-30-2017 at 11:37 PM.