Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CETME modelo B replicación

Senior Veteran
    Yes, is a Modelo A.
    By the 60's, I think only the Dominican Navy still had them.
    The curious thing is that one of those pics is often shown here when talking about the long magazine, that was rarely used in Spanish service since it was too long to properly use with the bipod, unless you were in a foxhole.

One war that saw both the A and B (and parachute jumps from tri-engine Junkers) alongside older weapons like the M43 mausers, was the "Ifni War", 1957-58 (still a highly politically charged issue in certain quarters). The more modern equipment was carried by the parachute brigade.

Newsreel archive of the era (not much to see here):
    http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/a...-ifni/2933295/

Actually, the best online images I have found are from a propaganda movie made a couple years later (the public barely knew anything about the war, only that it was started by a "comunist plot"), but all are using the model B already, and some FAO automatic rifles (the ones with the magazine from the top, derived from the ZB26). Around minute 7.
    A clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p78onvfBNKc

Senior Veteran
    Thanks!...that youtube clip was great.

Senior Veteran
    Awesome build--- I am over here, as well!!!

Tony

Great Vid enjoyed seeing the JU 52 tri motor and M 8 Greyhound on parade.
    Did Spain export CETME A the Dominican Republic or send a small test order
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Great Vid enjoyed seeing the JU 52 tri motor and M 8 Greyhound on parade.
    Did Spain export CETME A the Dominican Republic or send a small test order
    The funny thing about American-made combat equipment sent to Spain in the Eisenhower era (yes, it was a dictatorship, but rabidly anticomunist, so...), is that it couldn't be used outside of the Peninsula. So that same kind of equipment had to be bought from France to be used in Africa (mostly Greyhounds and M24 tanks).

As an ex-colony, there were several commercial agreements with the Dominican Republic, even during that era. Probably the CETME A were sold to them as they were being substituted by the Modelo B. Only thing I heard was that they were sold to the Dominican Navy, with helmets and assorted "combat equipment".

Quote Originally Posted by Sampedro View Post
    The funny thing about American-made combat equipment sent to Spain in the Eisenhower era (yes, it was a dictatorship, but rabidly anticomunist, so...), is that it couldn't be used outside of the Peninsula. So that same kind of equipment had to be bought from France to be used in Africa (mostly Greyhounds and M24 tanks).

As an ex-colony, there were several commercial agreements with the Dominican Republic, even during that era. Probably the CETME A were sold to them as they were being substituted by the Modelo B. Only thing I heard was that they were sold to the Dominican Navy, with helmets and assorted "combat equipment".

Thank you
    Very interesting bit of information about the restrictions placed former U.S. military equipment used by Spain at that time.
    Also I wondered how the CETME made to the Dominican Republic as it was fairly rare rifle in 1964/65. I thought it was a B model with Handguard removed.
    There are several other clear B&W pictures from Dominican Republic same time showing a rebel with G3 and another one with AR 10
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Thank you
    Very interesting bit of information about the restrictions placed former U.S. military equipment used by Spain at that time.
    Also I wondered how the CETME made to the Dominican Republic as it was fairly rare rifle in 1964/65. I thought it was a B model with Handguard removed.
    There are several other clear B&W pictures from Dominican Republic same time showing a rebel with G3 and another one with AR 10
    There was an interesting mix of equipment in the Dominican Republic, including Swedish tanks.

In the late fifties, Trujillo visited Spain with his family in a tour of State visits to several countries, and was received with high honors by Franco (even his wife was present, something very rare), and several agreements were signed. That's why probably the recently substituted CETME A's were sent there, along ex-german helmets, mortars and pistols (probably Star A's and B's, but haven't found any info on what was exactly sent). In 1965 the Panzer IV's still in service here (all save one or two) were sold to Siria.

Very nice build!

I don't care much for replicating the model B down to the last detail as I find the original grip very ugly but I always thought the overall look of the model B was bad ass! I really like the handguard on those rifles.
    WBZ

Senior Veteran
    Thanks!
    MARS imported the semi auto "Sport" in both B and C models. The lower that came with the B model had a contoured grip.

CETME "Sport"
    B (serial number)

Sport model B .jpg

CETME "Sport"
    S (serial number)

Sport model C.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Just got a hold of an original CETME B cocking tube and thought I'd take some comparison photos of it next to the model C.
    Unfortunately the inner sleeve was cut off where it extends into the receiver. An extension will need to be added due to the fact the only welds that hold this to the receiver are the ones on the inner sleeve.

Never seeing one of these tubes in person I thought they would be a little different but wasn't sure what it would be. Having both of them side by side shows the actual difference in where the charging handle locks up to make room for the carry handle.

Not pictured is the front of the cocking tubes, basically they are identical. The location of the cocking tube stop and cross pin for the charging handle are in the same location on both.