Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A day hiking in Michigan's UP

Great photos and the area looks like a dream to hike. Is the cemetery marked on maps?
    I wonder if any of the families buried there are still local
    The Upper Peninsula is a place know for Deer hunting, fishing hiking and canoeing.
    Did you pack a pistol? Also did you do any eating on the trail?
    I like stopping for instant coffee or tea on the trail, it makes the day complete for me
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Great photos and the area looks like a dream to hike. Is the cemetery marked on maps?
    I wonder if any of the families buried there are still local
    The Upper Peninsula is a place know for Deer hunting, fishing hiking and canoeing.
    Did you pack a pistol? Also did you do any eating on the trail?
    I like stopping for instant coffee or tea on the trail, it makes the day complete for me
    The cemetery is marked on google maps I believe. There is a small wooden stake on the side of the road that says cemetery, otherwise it's pretty obscured and off the beaten path. You need to know where to look to find it. There is another cemetery that predates it deeper into the woods. Most of those are marked by wooden gravemarkers, with any writing obscured by weathering. Below is a representative picture I stole off the net:

I know one family for sure is still local. They have kept up the marker and have some info there that has been laminated. The Keeweenaw (among other places in the country) is called God's country, and I firmly believe that. As for a pistol, I carried along my 9mm AR pistol with a 32 round magazine. It's light and mobile and easily carried slung without being in the way. I had a pack of nuts and picked a fair amount of wintergreen leaves. Some wintergreen tea along the trail really staved my appetite, and at the end of the hike, I hit up a little brewery in the tourist town of Copper Harbor and enjoyed a cold brew with a nice fresh fish taco.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

I really enjoy all of the greenery and the historical content of your pics. Living in coastal brush country leaves one with a craving for nice forested areas with milder summers. Thanks for sharing because it makes coping with the heat and dry a bit easier.

Keep up the good work.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Veteran
    I have hiked that area over the years. I remember when the mine shafts were still open and just had double barbed wire fence around them. Haven't been up that way in about 25 years, but I still love the area. As I sit typing this there is a ceramic on my desk shelf of the Copper Harbor lighthouse. My Dad and I explored that when the frenell (sp) lens was still in it back in 1960. Great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel49 View Post
    I have hiked that area over the years. I remember when the mine shafts were still open and just had double barbed wire fence around them. Haven't been up that way in about 25 years, but I still love the area. As I sit typing this there is a ceramic on my desk shelf of the Copper Harbor lighthouse. My Dad and I explored that when the frenell (sp) lens was still in it back in 1960. Great memories.
    That would have been neat to see. I always wanted to hike to the lighthouse southwest of South Range out towards Misery Bay. I hear it's private property now. I did find remains of an old ship up past Copper Harbor, some is on shore, some is stuck out off shore.

great stuff man & as always great pictures!

you were doing great until you had that fish taco. ick.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Thanks or updates - fascinating history, great scenery!
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran
    A long neat hike is the hike from the Rt 41 cul-du-sac ( end /start of Rt 41) out to the tip of the Keweenaw tip and around to Keystone beach and end up in Mandan.
    Wife and I were hiking up there years ago and talked to a father and son metal detecting the slag heaps at the Delaware mine site. They showed us two gas mask bags full of copper they found in the tailings. Ther's still a open stope near Bette Gris about 50' up off the roadway, don't know how far back it goes, but all solid rock.
    Some where around here I have a book listing all the mine locations and the outputs for the years they operated. Years ago ( late 50's ) there was still tons of machinery in the mine buildings. Mandan still had quite a few houses abandoned still furnished.
    Always a good place to explore up there, make sure you take a firearm, I always carried a 12Ga. with buck and slug, game wardens didn't seem to care, in fact one told it was nuts not to carry something.
    I enjoyed the pictures and the thread. Except now I'm wishing I had the time to go back and snoop around again, I love it up there.

I've hiked from the end of 41 back to high rock bay. I haven't done the east side. I'll have to check that out. Theres a log shack along the northwest shore owned by the nature conservancy thats free use first come first served. I have yet to stay there when anyone else has been. I've got a few chunks of float copper, biggest one is palm sized.