Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A long lost rifle back at home.

Veteran

A long lost rifle back at home.

In July, i made the journey to Missouri to pick up my fathers remains. He past a year ago and he has been in a urn waiting for me. I had not been home or talked much to any family members in 32 years, so it was quite a visit. I was told that dad only had enough in savings to pay for his own cremation, so i was not expecting anything except the urn. After a couple of days of catching up with family my brother brought out several firearms that my dad had in his house when he died. One of them caught my attention right away. The Remington 742 in 243 caliber was one of my first rifles back in 1982. I got it in payment for hauling hay for a farmer. It was in near new condition. When i left for the Navy in 1984 i left it and other firearms, guitars, and a very nice knife collection with him. I was gone for 6 years and during that time my dad had gotten a divorce from his second wife. When i came back to retrieve my belonging he told me he had sold every thing to pay bills. As a young man, i was angry with him, but understood the circumstances. I asked my brother about the rifle and he told me dad never sold it. He carried it year round in his truck for years in case a deer ran out in front of the truck. He told me dad had mentioned that he would give it back when ever i came back home. I never went back till now. The whole left side of the rifle had no finish on it from riding next to dad in the truck. Lots of rust pitting over the the entire rifle. the scope is a Tabsco. it has alot of finish wear and scratches but is still clear. I disassembled the rifle completely. I had to grind the scope ring mount screw heads off and vise grip the screws out. It has a good used mount on it now with new rings. I parkerized all metal parts grey to match another 742 that i have in 30-06. The wood is in great shape and the bore is in really great shape. I got it back together and when i racked it for the first time it bit me in the right thumb (ouch). Anyway, i thought i would share this story and show a rifle i owned 34 years ago and thought was gone. It is back home now where it belongs. I have a couple of other firearms that i brought home that are in the same shape that i will add as i get them worked on to be safe to shoot. Roger
    S5000213.JPG
    Navy Chief (Retired)

Wish it was under better circumstances, but I am glad you got the old rifle back. Looks like you did a good job on touching it up - looking good in the photo.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Between my older and younger brothers taking my stuff and selling it or giving it away I didn't come home to much. I did lock all my guns up so they were waiting for me at least.
    At least now you can put it to rest once and for all.

I enjoyed this story very much.
    thanks.

Ron
    31B

Senior Veteran
    Good story and nice rifle!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I too enjoyed the story and the rifle looks good from here you did a good job cleaning it up.
    They were considered to be one of the more expensive deer rifles in the 1970's.
    Glad you got it back and glad you shared the with us
    Last edited by Norton; 08-08-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    While it might not have been the perfect father-son relationship, at least you have something that your dad clearly valued and that was with him for a long time. I'm sure it will bring back memories with your dad and family whenever you handle it. Thanks for sharing the story.
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

Nice job on the clean up Roger.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Veteran
    Good story - thanks for the share!

Veteran

Thank you everyone for your remarks. I finished this Arisaka up today after work. My understanding is that it is a model 99. It does not look like there were ever wings on the rear site. The metal was rough, but cleaned up ok. The bore appears to be chrome lined and im giving the crest about a 85%. I parkerized the metal grey and cleaned a ton of crud off the stock before putting 3 coats of oil on the stock. From what i understand, my dad got up to 4 packs a day on Pall Malls non filters, so everything is covered in cigarette tar. I had loaded the firearms in the back seat of the truck to bring them home. My wife had me stop and put them in the tool box instead. I had to wipe everything down with acetone before bringing them into the house. We are both ex smokers LOL, so go figure. Anyway, here is a pick id like to share of the rifle. Roger.S5000214.JPG
    Navy Chief (Retired)