Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp View Post
    . Time to invest in a whole house generator. My power goes out everytime the wind blows.
    used to have that exact problem... now with the whole house genny its all about remembering that just because it CAN run the whole house doesnt mean you have to run it all the time.

if you get one that runs off of propane or NG? its great if the power is off for a few hours to keep on truckin as usual .. or a nite or 2...

but if the power is gonna be off for WEEKS? still better off to cycle it. fire up your house, let everything cool off/warm up, run the freezers/fridge & what not, get your important work done... then turn it off.

your "supply" will last a whole lot longer.

my 500gallon propane tank is good for about 400-425hrs of whole house genny time. so if you ran that straight thru & never turned it off? thats only about 17 days. (if you were full)

if you run it for 90 minutes at a time (which fully cycles all my freezers/fridges/heat/cold)? & run it 3 times a day that way? (every 8 hrs) thats only about 4.5 hours a day which would then get you ALMOST 3 MONTHS!! before you run out of fuel or need a refill.

the electric was out for 13 days straight & that cycle kept everything comfortable inside & nothing ever went bad. (it also keeps the hours down on your genny for longer life!)

its a little more of an effort to walk outside & flip the button vs my standard setting of 3 second delay & full power, but for a long term situation its a better way to go!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Right now I have a 8,000 generac portable wired into house main thru a cutoff switch. It will run lights, fans, frig, couple of window a.c.'s, but I cut hot water heater,
    well pump, electric range, etc, off. If I need to run well pump I shut most everything else off as it takes a good surge to kick it on. I would like to go full house with power
    enough to run everything on both house and shop.

I am on propane. Full is 80%, 400 gallons (allow for expansion) on a 500 gallon tank. They have a 200 gallon minimum fuel run so a person has to run tank below 200 gallons
    to get a fill. A person is not always going to have 400 gallons on hand. To make up for that I added a second 500 gallon tank and can feed from either one or both. I am looking
    for a 3rd tank for the new building.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Power just came back on...tuesday afternoon...12.30
    Dodged a bullit...cat 2.
    Few pool cage screens down...all else is good.
    If its to bright....call ELLIOT LUCAS.!

Super Moderator
    Good to hear your power is back on. We had the most outages in Duke's service area. Over half a million. They said 7-10 days if we are lucky. Alot to be said for buried powerlines. The state should make the utilities retrofit the lines a few at a time to keep cost down and start with the areas that lose power constantly. They have done it in a few places here but not a lot. Of course all new construction is buried, but the lines feeding them are in the air.
    Last edited by Milsurp; 09-12-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    To old to fight, To slow to run, But I can still shoot!!!

COG#111

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Right now I have a 8,000 generac portable wired into house main thru a cutoff switch. It will run lights, fans, frig, couple of window a.c.'s, but I cut hot water heater,
    well pump, electric range, etc, off. If I need to run well pump I shut most everything else off as it takes a good surge to kick it on. I would like to go full house with power
    enough to run everything on both house and shop.

I am on propane. Full is 80%, 400 gallons (allow for expansion) on a 500 gallon tank. They have a 200 gallon minimum fuel run so a person has to run tank below 200 gallons
    to get a fill. A person is not always going to have 400 gallons on hand. To make up for that I added a second 500 gallon tank and can feed from either one or both. I am looking
    for a 3rd tank for the new building.

YES. exact same tank im running & as you mentioned its better to have 2 500 gallon tanks than a single 1,000..... we also have to have a 200 gallon minimum here in OH.

im running a 16KW & it runs EVERYTHING... including the hot water, heat pump/ac, well entire shop.. no problems at all. a 14KW will do my set up, but the people who put it in did a 16 for the money.

always encourage people who live "rural" like You/me do to have an alternative power set up.

yes im going to add a wind turbine & battery bank for small power supply in the future... cause i can heat with wood if need to & lights dont take much electric.

whats been impressive is how few of our members have lost their homes being directly in the path of this storm.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Another soul checking in from Fl. We just got power back this am. The family and nearby friends are all fine. If any of you folks need firewood I have a couple of tons of it for you. Come help cut it up and it's yours for free.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Got NOAA pictures of my uncles place in Big Pine. Not looking good. They're currently shored up in a small house they were renting out in Key Largo. They'll stay there until they can get into Big Pine hopefully next week.

Got some pictures from our utility crews working around Miami, tough to be from Minnesota, go to Florida to help out and not have AC available at night. Right now it's about 45 overnight so touch to sweat all day in the heat and have no reprieve when you're not used to it.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

All OK here on the east coast. Few shingles off and one tree down but all else intact. Power off for three days but had a generator! Hot as hades but the beer was cold!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmikey View Post
    All OK here on the east coast. Few shingles off and one tree down but all else intact. Power off for three days but had a generator! Hot as hades but the beer was cold!
    Still powerless here Tampa Bay. Hopefully today.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    To old to fight, To slow to run, But I can still shoot!!!

COG#111

Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp View Post
    Still powerless here Tampa Bay. Hopefully today.
    Hopefully you all had, or could get, fuel for your generators to get by. Good luck on getting your power back!!
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible