Thread: Got rifle in trade, needs fixing up.

New Recruit Private

Got rifle in trade, needs fixing up.

Hi folks. This is my second post here. I'll get to the point.

I did some IT work for someone here locally, and he offered me a C308 as payment. It seems nice enough, but the wood stock looks like it was stained by a six year old. It looks absolutely awful. How can I clean this up? Also, this thing has a plastic lower. Is there some place that sells metal replacement lowers for reasonable prices?

Senior Veteran

Steel lowers are readily available, but they must be modified to work in a semi-auto rifle. "Clipped and pinned" is what it's called. A shelf is welded in to engage the similar shelf on the receiver, these take the place of the original pivot pin to support the front of the lower (pin mounted lowers are a no-no per the BATF). RTG parts usually has G3 clipped and pinned lowers for under $100 (currently they are out). You could send Robert an email asking when he expects more in. Sometimes builders make runs of them, I think Blackwing (a member here) does them now and then.

As to the stock, remove the metal parts if you can (the recoil assembly may be the only thing you can remove - big screw under the butt pad, sometimes another small one below the buffer inside the assembly). Then you can strip the old finish off with something like the orange stripper from Home Depot, or a stronger kind like Zip Strip. It will take any paint off metal too, so you may need to repaint some parts that don't come off the wood easily. Wipe it down with some alcohol or paint thinner after the stripper & gunk is cleaned off, but I would avoid sanding (just personal preference), buffing it a bit with fine steel wool instead. Then you can stain if desired or just coat with a thin varnish over the stain or over the bare wood. If you want a preview of how the wood will look at any point, wipe again with some alcohol - that wet look will show you roughly the color you'd get if you varnished right then.

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Steel lowers are readily available, but they must be modified to work in a semi-auto rifle. "Clipped and pinned" is what it's called. A shelf is welded in to engage the similar shelf on the receiver, these take the place of the original pivot pin to support the front of the lower (pin mounted lowers are a no-no per the BATF). RTG parts usually has G3 clipped and pinned lowers for under $100 (currently they are out). You could send Robert an email asking when he expects more in. Sometimes builders make runs of them, I think Blackwing (a member here) does them now and then.

As to the stock, remove the metal parts if you can (the recoil assembly may be the only thing you can remove - big screw under the butt pad, sometimes another small one below the buffer inside the assembly). Then you can strip the old finish off with something like the orange stripper from Home Depot, or a stronger kind like Zip Strip. It will take any paint off metal too, so you may need to repaint some parts that don't come off the wood easily. Wipe it down with some alcohol or paint thinner after the stripper & gunk is cleaned off, but I would avoid sanding (just personal preference), buffing it a bit with fine steel wool instead. Then you can stain if desired or just coat with a thin varnish over the stain or over the bare wood. If you want a preview of how the wood will look at any point, wipe again with some alcohol - that wet look will show you roughly the color you'd get if you varnished right then.
    Thanks for the info. What about the original finish? What was used?

New Recruit Private
    Oh, forgot to ask. Where do I get magazines? It came with one five round magazine, and what looks like a g3 magazine that always jams on the last round.

Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Here is a thread on my G3 stock refinish.

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...tock-re-finish
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

when I bought my CENTURY HK91 back in 1999, it came with a slim plastic hand guard, didn't like it at all. so I sprung for the wide forearm hand guard furniture set, I bought from SPECIAL WEAPONS when they were selling off their HK furniture.

I like this set up far better then the slim hand guard, mostly because I can hold it closer to the receiver rather then reaching out to hold the hand guard plus there is bipod attachment on the hand guard

Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-10-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kruuth View Post
    Thanks for the info. What about the original finish? What was used?
    No idea what they used, probably just a thinned oil of some kind. Often its a linseed oil with lots of thinner and dye, but on military stuff it might not even be a drying oil like linseed. The NOS cetme stocks are very orange, once older they are brown enough to pass for walnut (the wood is related to aspen, so usually pale to medium in color). The brown color is oxidation in the wood and dirt.