Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling guns on the net, shipping.

Selling guns on the net, shipping.

I started shipping rifles thru a FFL dealer a year or so ago because of UPS/USPS shipping rules/hassle.
    Most of what I have sold in the last few years have been thru consignment thru an FFL.
    The problem for me and the buyer is the added cost.
    FFL Dealers and shipping companies will not do it for free.
    The cost to ship (lower 48) thru a dealer is $25 to $35+
    (weight, size of box and distance) cost of shipping box, tape,packing (bubble wrap), insurance and FFL fee.
    The cost of getting the rifle to the nearest FFL is 41 miles that will ship.
    Note: None of the FFL's in this area no longer will do transfers.
    Yes, shipping has become very expensive.

I have just about quit selling on the net.
    The last rifle I had shipped to a Texas FFL was $32 (shipped about 200 miles) Plus my gas to get it my FFL.
    (Large retail companies get a large discount on shipping cost and supplies).
    Add to this the transfer fee to the buyers FFL charges.
    It could become $50+ total just for shipping one rifle.

My question is anyone still buying or selling guns on the net from individuals ?

This week I started cleaning out one of the storage rooms and now I can get to some of the safes.
    They are packed full of surplus rifles from my collection.
    My plan is to keep a few of them for the family and sell off the rest of them.

This is only for discussion only.
    Not an offer to sell. (no IM's or E-mails please)

Thanks
    Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 10-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    31B

Ron, I have bought a couple of C&R rifles this year from individuals and had them shipped to me (I have a C&R FFL). I think the last one was shipped via USPS.
    I almost always have bought from individuals I know, such a forum members. I rarely sell, but have shipped to C&R holders and individual's FFL in the past.
    I have always kept a supply of boxes, wrapping paper, foam, etc, around just in case, so for a few guns it would be no big deal. If the buyer is willing
    to pay shipping it is not coming out of my pocket.

Saying that, if I was going to unload a large number of firearms (sell off my collection, or part of it), I would unlikely be enthused about doing it on the net.
    Just too much work, things to keep track of, likely complaints and hassle. I would likely pick a few neat and/or rare firearms and offer them to fellow forum
    members/a few collectors I know first. What did not sell to forum members, etc, and the rest maybe consign to FFL or an auction. Just thinking out loud.

Myself, I don't consider the forum part of the net on firearm sales as I am dealing with a small known group of people- I consider the net places like gunbroker, etc, that
    sell to general public.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

you can ship long guns and shotguns through USPS to a FFL dealer the buyer choices, you don't need to go to a FFL for him to ship it for you by USPS.

you can't ship a handgun or a AR receiver, through the USPS. only a FFL can do that.

if you do decide to use USPS and ship it yourself. a couple things to know, before accepting payment

this is what I do on the uber rare occasion I sell one of my firearms

I ask if this FFL accepts firearms from a non-FFL. there are some dealers that will reuse to accept from individuals. a local dealer I know use to accept from individuals, but not any more. reason, he tells them to include a copy of the sellers drivers license, so he can log it into his book, there was people who didn't include that. and trying to ask for a copy fell on deaf ears, or he got some crazy conspiracy about why they won't. he finally got fed up playing that game, and said, "screw em, I will only accept firearms from other FFLs"

the second thing I ask is for the FFL license number, I don't need a copy of his license, just the number, so I can plug it into ATF E-Z CHECK to see if I'm really sending this to a FFL holder and not to anyone else, and to verify the address on the ATF E-Z CHECK matches the address to where the seller says to send it to. if it doesn't, I don't ship, period. to further cover my butt, I screen capture the page and print it out and staple it to the transition e-mail.

when I ship the firearm, I include a copy of my DL and a letter to who this firearm goes to. then I e-mail the buyer and inform him the firearm was shipped to his FFL and give him the tracking number

I only got 1 refusal for a license number, and that was from the seller himself saying that the FFL doesn't give out his number then gave me a residential address to send it to.

which sent a huge red flag, like the may day parade, for me. I then said "no numba, no shippy" he came back with a long, long moronic diatribe about it saying the constitution doesn't require FFL etc... I read just a few line, then deleted it and then sent him I'M CANCELING THIS TRANSACTION, in huge letters, then added him to my E-mail block.
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-11-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran
    I just sold a rifle, and I use an FFL just for the hassle factor taken out. They manage this stuff every day, and I am willing to pay for the service. Just like with GB fees, I add my expected costs into my sale price, and if it sells, everyone is happy. If it doesnt, I may need to reconsider what I want to walk away with from the sale.
    PLEASE NOTE!
    No post or message by this user shall be considered legal advice or a legal opinion, and shall not constitute the formation of a client/lawyer relationship. Do not rely on this information in making legal decisions. If you have a legal questions, please seek legal council qualified to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma Nostra View Post
    I use an FFL just for the hassle factor taken out. .............. I add my expected costs into my sale price,
    I'm think I'm going to do that next time I sell a firearm.

I have a C&R (FFL) Lic for a purpose. If a C&R seller refuses to send a C&R firearm to me and insist on a dealer being involved I will walk away from the deal. I am not
    going to drive 2hr round trip to a FFL dealer, wait for him to get paperwork ready, do background check, then pay his $25-$40 fee when I have a Federal C&R Firearm
    License (FFL) and the C&R firearm can be legally shipped to my front door. BTW I always fax or email my FFL to seller or if I pay by check enclose copy with
    with payment.

I have not sold a gun to any one except face to face ever. I have often thought that if I wanted to sell some of my guns I would start here with forum members from Fl. that way no shipping no FFL just offered face to face. That might be to much hassle with the numbers you could be talking about, but it's one old mans way of thinking.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I have a C&R (FFL) Lic for a purpose. If a C&R seller refuses to send a C&R firearm to me and insist on a dealer being involved
    it's because 03 FFL licenses can't be verified by FFL E-Z CHECK. even though it says right on the site that should not be a reason to deny dealing with a 03 licensee.

Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee.
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-11-2017 at 03:30 PM.

this jsut came up again the other day from our previous conversation here....

& SHRED was nice neough to post the latest link/ruling on it from teh gooberment.

you CAN still ship a firearm through the USPS as long as its FFL to FFL as Buckshot mentioned above.. so someone doing a C&R transfer to another C&R IS legal to send it USPS.

we argued this up & down for a long time & then this came out & then several of us made calls to different area offices of the ATF & got the same answer.

now if someone isnt comfortable doing it that way? let them pay for a transfer fee.

Im like Buckshot... if i dont like the deal .. i dont do it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    this jsut came up again the other day from our previous conversation here....

& SHRED was nice neough to post the latest link/ruling on it from teh gooberment.

you CAN still ship a firearm through the USPS as long as its FFL to FFL as Buckshot mentioned above.. so someone doing a C&R transfer to another C&R IS legal to send it USPS.

we argued this up & down for a long time & then this came out & then several of us made calls to different area offices of the ATF & got the same answer.

now if someone isnt comfortable doing it that way? let them pay for a transfer fee.

Im like Buckshot... if i dont like the deal .. i dont do it.
    I have received C&R firearms direct from Classic Arms, Centerfire, AIM, S&G, Weidners, and other commercial dealers based on me providing them a copy of my C&R license.
    They don't have an issue with shipping a C&R firearm directly to a C&R holder.