Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling guns on the net, shipping.

Senior Veteran

I've been on the receiving end of a couple transactions where the FFL had trouble getting the drivers license from the seller. Only reason I got the sellers to send it (I was the buyer) was that both were forum sales and the idea of a bad rep on a lot of forums still carried some weight. Somewhere like gunbroker I wouldn't blame a dealer a bit for not accepting from individuals - if there is no DL, the FFL has no recourse that I know of.

I've not bought or sold in several years - most of what I sold were guns I inherited and didn't want (kept the ones I remember learning to shoot with, it was the newer stuff that I sold). If you can find an FFL who charges $20 or so for transfers, it is well worth the cost to pay the guy for outgoing work as it makes your life super easy and simple. What I've found is that the guys who keep the price low do a lot of transfers and know the rules and don't mind taking your stuff to the post office when your auction (or whatever) is complete. If you're selling pistols, the savings on USPS vs Fedex Air makes the FFL fee seem pretty trivial.

BUT: last time I sold anything was probably 2010 or so.... stuff may have changed.

If I ever need to do another transfer, its already worked out -- one of the guys at work is an FFL on the side, so I would give him the biz regardless of fee.

FUNNY!
    I know myself. I am trying to get my collection down.
    If I got a C&R I would not be able to not buy all the deals that are out there and I would end up back where I started.

Good advice for you younger guys to get a C&R.

Ron
    31B

Senior Veteran
    The C&R stuff has gone kind of dry so unless there's a pot of gold out there you guys aren't telling me about I feel like the heyday of C&Rs has passed for the time being. I agree with Ron, though that shipping has gotten to be a royal PITA. Likewise it does seem that the distributors are much easier to deal with than FFLs as far as buying with an 03.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    this jsut came up again the other day from our previous conversation here....

& SHRED was nice neough to post the latest link/ruling on it from teh gooberment.

you CAN still ship a firearm through the USPS as long as its FFL to FFL as Buckshot mentioned above..
    I know that only handguns have to be shipped from FFL to FFL through the USPS. but the ATF FAQ website states that a non-licensed may ship a long gun and shot gun to another resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail "and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms" *. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

*when I send a rifle to a FFL business, instead of putting BOB'S GUN SHOP, I used the initials BGS

now if he found something different, then please post that link. because this is the first I'm hearing of a rifle or shot can only be mailed by a FFL to another FFL by USPS

it's question 7 in the below link

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...-firearms-usps
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-11-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran
    You don't have to ship from an FFL to an FFL out of state via USPS, the onus is on the shipper to ensure the receiver has the proper license. Let's muck it up some more: in some cases (warranty/gunsmith services) they can ship your firearm directly back to you with no paperwork on your end.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Ghoul & ARK:

You guys are exactly who i referred back to from our last conversation on this when various people were saying you "couldnt" ship thru USPS anymore.

what some people do is take that other line that says you cant ship firearms & then they broad brush that onto the whole thing.

In our last discussion i mentioned that had always done it that way & someone here said "dont do it anymore" & i took it for what they said & let it go. THEN it came up on WG & Shred popped in with an update, & several of us got together to call different area's to get "live answers" from multiple agents....

it is always better to have multiple answers........... WHEN THEY ALL MATCH. :-)

long guns have never been a problem USPS & my local postmaster is very progun & always steered me right on those. Now with everything else he is on board & that makes it really easy.

got no problem with fedex........... they are just super inconvenient vs the USPS.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I've brought into Kali a slew of long guns, 1 Eddystone, and the rest SKSs. Kali is different, not in a good way, in that there is no more in state PPT C&R cash & carry. I've never had an 03, because I've always done good on the street FTF. The trick here, is to have an FFL that will accept from an individual, AND, won't bend you over on the receiving fees. My FFL will hold up the paper if I have more than 1 gun inbound, and put them on 1 DROS for $35. I've shipped USPS direct to an FFL, just last month. Depending on many factors, some FFL's are the easiest way to go. One SKS I picked up out of Arkansas, the seller said his guy only charged 10 bucks to ship to my guy. PAX

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    Ghoul & ARK:

what some people do is take that other line that says you cant ship firearms**** & then they broad brush that onto the whole thing.

****you mean handguns, not firearms
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!