Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brought home a new C308

Veteran
    I would be totally ok with that. Then I wouldn't have to pay for another transfer.

Edit:
    I received an email with a FedEx return label this morning. From posts on other forums it looked like these were going back to PTR, but this label has it going back to Century in VT.
    One thing I really like is that they have stressed a few times that warranty work takes 4-6 weeks in what seems like an attempt to dissuade me from returning it.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 10-13-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Veteran
    UPS attempted delivery today, but I was working. I am off Wednesday and can pick the rifle up then. Once it's back in hand I will post the results of my RMA. Since it came directly back to me and not to my FFL I can assume they returned the same rifle. Hopefully they replaced the bits they hacked on to fit. The package was shipped from VT, so it doesn't look like there is any warranty work being done (at least on this rifle) by PTR.

From shipping to attempted delivery I have a 24 day turn around time.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 11-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Veteran
    I picked up the rifle from UPS this morning. It was the best packing job I have ever seen from Century. It was double boxed with only 1 hole in the box, and believe it or no there were no parts of the gun hanging out of the hole. Inside the second box was my rifle looking exactly as I had sent it to them with a couple of pieces of yellow paper. I was concerned they just looked at it and sent it back, but looking over the yellow paper it said they replaced the bolt and carrier.

On the bench I found they had indeed replaced the parts I asked them to. For better or worse, they replaced the late style carrier with an earlier type with the lightening cuts. The parts do seem to be in better than bad condition.

The flash washes everything out, but the parts retain 80%+ of their original finish.

After cleaning and reassembling I found the bolt gap to be .015, well within spec.

Felling pretty good about it I dressed her up and took her out back.

The furniture came from ebay for around $30 and is in VG condition. It was cleaned, dents steamed out, pine tar was used to as color and contrast, and then it was finished off with Tom's 1/3 over the last 2 weeks. Shooting was totally uneventful, it went bang and launched my brass 10-15' to my 2-3 o'clock. It does a number on case mouths. My groups were high and right using the 200 meter peep, but that is easily fixed. The sight picture was better than I was expecting, and the rifle is softer shooting than everyone describes it. People saying it has harsh recoil need to spend sometime with an 8mm Mauser.

So I guess thumbs up on the repair, and a thumbs down to initial QC. In the end it was made right and there were no out of pocket expenses to me. For $500 I'm going to call it a win. If I have some time over the next few days I will take it to the range and report back with accuracy and reliability.

Thanks for the help and info gents.

edit:
    Something I forgot, magazine changes are just plane terrible. I reach for it like there is a paddle, and am then let down. Luckily I have an original paddle in my parts bins along with a proper CETME trigger housing. Clipping/pinning and a paddle release will be on my winter project list.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 11-08-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Nice! Glad it worked out for you. That wood looks good on there as well.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Very nice to hear it worked out well for you. Cetme looks very nice but is screaming for the metal lower and PMR.
    METUS EST PLENUS TYRANNIS

COG#2011

Veteran
    Crap, I take back my happyness. I remembered reading Holescreek locking piece thread, and the 29 stamp got me thinking.
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ece-Type-Study

Looks like it's an older 60* locking piece. I will try to email Century and see if they will just send out a replacement. If not I will just hit up APEX. ugh.

What is the bolt gap with the new parts?

You got an unusual locking piece there, I'd have to go back to the LP study thread to see what it is though, I measured a "29" in the first group of 10 I received from Perro. If its a 50 youre OK. If its a 60, you might want to sell it to someone building a 7.62x39 cetme and get a 50 (or 45), especially with that model B carrier.

I dont remember which forum it was on but someone was looking for a 60 degree LP.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    What is the bolt gap with the new parts?

You got an unusual locking piece there, I'd have to go back to the LP study thread to see what it is though, I measured a "29" in the first group of 10 I received from Perro. If its a 50 youre OK. If its a 60, you might want to sell it to someone building a 7.62x39 cetme and get a 50 (or 45), especially with that model B carrier.
    Bolt gap is .015. So that's good, but we must have been typing at the same time. It's a 60* LP.

45*? I thought it was only 60 or 50. A 45 would be nice as I might even be able to run my suppressor on the rifle then.

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    I dont remember which forum it was on but someone was looking for a 60 degree LP.
    If you find the person/post again, please let me know... perhaps they will make a trade. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 11-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.

The good news is that you can continue shooting it setup the way it is, it's just going to kick harder. Hopefully the rubber parts inside your buffer are still soft.
    If you are going to shoot with a can you probably want a 40 LP, I've tested one in a standard Cetme and it still functioned fine without a suppressor. I'll look on the shelf in the shop and see what I may have left over. I wonder if one of the 35's would work better with the model B carrier than it did with the model C in my target Cetme?