Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brought home a new C308

Veteran

Brought home a new C308

I have been looking at these for a while, and finally decided to get one. On the outside it looks good, the welds are good and the finish is better than bad. When I pulled it apart to clean I found the receiver and barrel assembly were covered in oil but clean, the bolt carrier assembly was covered inside and out in what looked like very old black grease. The carrier is a 2 piece welded unit with out lighting cuts, and the locking piece is marked 50. One thing I did see that seemed odd was this:

It looks like they did some grinding on it.

The back of the bolt is pretty shiny too, thinking it may have been ground I measured it. The bolt measured 1.821". That sounds pretty short.

Reassembled the bolt gap measures .021.

So I think I may have to call Century when I have some time and see if I can get a call tag to send it back in. It would seem either PTR or Century did all their fitting on this rifle with an angle grinder. I guess maybe I shouldn't have clicked "buy".

edit:
    rollers measure .313, so those appear to be standard.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 10-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Yep, send it back. It seems they finally reached the bottom of the barrel.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Yep, send it back. It seems they finally reached the bottom of the barrel.
    If the bolt head is supposed to be 1.835 am I right in thinking my actual gap is .007 with a 1.821 bolt head and .021 measurement?
    Last edited by zer0daze; 10-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.

All the bolt heads I've measured (un-ground) were 1.832". All ground bolt heads I've measured have been 1.821". I'd be surprised if the grinding didn't occurr a very long time ago when CAI had the most problems. All of the C308's I've seen posted have been assembled with left over parts and parts that had been returned for warranty issues long ago.

8mm Rollers measure .315". Look on the top of your rollers for any markings scratched into the concave end. (More than likely it's just your measuring instrument.)

The math says your real gap should be closer to .01" but I'm not sure I believe it yet. You either need to remove the cocking handle support or at least verify that the ground end of your carrier tube isn't resting on the support while the bolt is closed. If it's not resting on the support you should be able to wiggle the support with the cocking handle while the bolt is closed. If it's resting on the support then the measured gap is false.

For now, I'm as much concerned about the ground carrier tube as the ground bolt head. Too much gap between the tube and the support makes the rifle hard to unlock and cock.

Here's my one and only experience with one of the new C308's : http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ight=C308+good

CENTURY has been grinding the bolt head for quite a long time on their HK and CETME clones, this isn't something that has happened in the last 2 or 3 years. people have been writing about it since around 2005 or so, some rifles had ground bolts, while other didn't
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

I have never seen or read about CAI grinding an HK bolt head, here or on the HK sites. All of the Cetme ground bolt heads measure exactly 1.821". What are the chances they were all ground to the exact same length, but at different times? That'd be the first time CAI ever did anything so consistent. Back when Apex supposedly bought out all the Cetme parts CAI had left I bought a used Cetme bolt head and was sent one that had been ground to 1.821" (Apex replaced it). That led me to believe that CAI only had the very worst parts left in house at that time. Since then they came out with the C308 so they might have found more kits in their warehouse, but it seems they are down to their last bits of crap again.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    8mm Rollers measure .315". Look on the top of your rollers for any markings scratched into the concave end. (More than likely it's just your measuring instrument.)

For now, I'm as much concerned about the ground carrier tube as the ground bolt head. Too much gap between the tube and the support makes the rifle hard to unlock and cock.

Here's my one and only experience with one of the new C308's : http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ight=C308+good
    It's either the caliper or the user, and more likely the user.

I have been reading through a lot of your posts over the last couple of months, and the ground carrier was also my concern. It has sufficient cocking tube gap, and I assume the ground carrier was to correct it. If the issues at th back end are corrected it looks like it would cause an issue with the at the front.

Thanks for the help

edit:
    Nobody answers the phones at Century in the morning, so an email was sent (10/12/2017) and an automated replied received a few minutes later. I will update with how their customer service handles the issue.

I have had terrible luck with my last few purchases, this, an AK from PSA that has been back there twice, and a Losok barrel from AimSurplus that the extension came off of. As it turns out the customer service from all involved has been over all pretty terrible.
    Last edited by zer0daze; 10-12-2017 at 08:39 AM.

It goes back to the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is". Everyone is just trying to make a buck assembling stuff and flipping it. At least with CAI you know up front it's a crap shoot, though in the last year the odds favor the house.

Veteran
    While they didn't answer the phone, they did reply to my email today asking for basic information to file an RMA. Hopefully the rest of the repair/replace process will be just as smooth.

Hopefully you'll at least get replacement parts that are in spec.