Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AR Pistol build............

never heard of them...

once you do get your barrel let me know. If you wanna talk 7.62 shorty's in AR's or AK's? ive done several of them.

its all about what your after as results. if ya just want a shorter barrel AR pistol? you can go way shorter on barrel. IF you still want it to be fairly accurate? you really need that 7.5 -10.5" barrel length.

theres just so much unburned powder in 4-6" x39 barrels.... that it looks like this in 7.62x39, this was a 5" barrel with a flash hider in a gas op, locking bolt.. set up (looks the same in an AR)

night_ak.jpg
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Veteran
    The issue I was having wasn't an issue at all. I actually spoke with a live person and he explained what I needed to do. The index pin on the barrel was slightly oversized, and I mean slightly, I just needed to persuade it a bit. Got her built this evening, and am going to test it out at the range after breakfast.
    Now for the fun stuff: Anderson upper and lower, Anderson LPK, Midstate Firearms 7.5" barrel, and Charging handle(red), PSA ejection port assembly, Forward assist, and gas tube, Aim surplus gas block(.750), and BCG, Shockwave Blade pistol tube kit, Monstrum Tactical 7" quad rail, and a Troy industries Claymore break, I'm using a D&H 30 round mag(only thing PSA had in stock). That red handle really makes it interesting. Either gonna do Magpul BUIS or a red dot.

I use PSA for a bunch of small stuff cause it's right around the corner from me. I'll definately post my range results. I still haven't been able to post pics I don't know why.
    Never apoloigze for the truth or being right !

Veteran
    Well after testing today there are a few bugs I need to work out. A stiffer hammer spring isn't a maybe, it is a must with steel cased ammo. It took 4 to 6 strikes before any rounds would fire. I only fired 10 rds then called it a day. The standard buffer doesn't get it done, the only other one I have is a H3 which is installed now, hopefully I haven't swung the pendulum too far the other way, and its not too heavy.

Other than that, HOLY TOLEDO that thing is LOUD!!! And the muzzle flash...well........ you need sunglasses to shoot it. I thought my Mosin M44 had a big flash, it still holds #1 for that............ but barely.

All in all I'm tickled pink with the way it turned out.

LEGOS!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=44lover;362807.

Other than that, HOLY TOLEDO that thing is LOUD!!!
    LEGOS!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

told ya
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

New Recruit
    Check out the Superlative Arms gas block. I have switched all of my the DI guns gas blocks, on rifles I haven't converted to piston, to these. They are a little more expensive, but they are a better product than the set screw gas blocks I have used in the past. With that said, I do setup all of my short barreled guns for subs and a can, but the Superlative Arms piece makes it easy to switch between the subs and supers.

It obviously won't tame the flame thrower effect, but will keep the gun from beating itself to death if you're over gassed and give you easy adjustment. Though my x39 runs on a Adams Arms conversion.

Make sure you are using a x39 specific firing pin like this
    http://www.blackriflearms.com/AR-762...g-Pin_p_9.html
    I have found that you can get away with standard springs with the right firing pin.

yeah they do sell a "special" FP for these...

all it does is change the protrusion & travel just a hair. you can do this to any regular AR FP in just a few minutes if you are a tightwad. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Veteran
    Well here it is, Installed the Wolffe XP hammer spring now it only takes 2 strikes to fire them off. The H-3 buffer really tamed the felt recoil, still looks and sounds like Thor and Zues duking it out up front but that was the idea in the first place. As far as the firing pin, the AIM surplus BCG is supposed to have the enhanced FP in it. So I'm kinda at a loss, it goes into battery, and ejects just fine, so.................????????

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    yeah they do sell a "special" FP for these...

all it does is change the protrusion & travel just a hair. you can do this to any regular AR FP in just a few minutes if you are a tightwad. :-)
    Do tell

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by 44lover View Post
    Do tell
    You can file the area of the firing pin that limits the travel. I prefer to just buy the x39 specific pin, but a standard pin could be modified on a drill press with a file if you are in a pinch. Most x39 carrier groups come with a x39 pin that protrudes a little more than the stand pin.

Veteran
    Thanks, I'm not in that much of a pinch. I'll get a new pin its easier and less tedious.