Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro AR's

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Nice looking rifle Pyrotex. That is exactly the retro style I will look for. Does the carry handle come off the receiver? Would you have to remove the handle to mount a scope on it?
    Thank you. It is a fixed handle upper. There is the standard mounting hole in the carry handle to put a scope on it. You can still use the open sights.

TEC Tactical is a Licensed 07/02

Double post

TEC Tactical is a Licensed 07/02

Veteran
    I weighed my options and decided the Bear Creek A2 was what I was looking for, and it got here today. Most of the accessories are here, but the scope is still a few days out.
    I'll post another pic when I get the whole package put together. I don't know squat about these Barbie guns so I'm off to read the manual. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up is there is side to side play between the upper and lower receiver castings. Is this normal?

IMG_0712.JPG

I noticed when I picked it up is there is side to side play between the upper and lower receiver castings. Is this normal?
    theoretically there shouldn't be any play in a brand new gun, but a tiny bit of play might be encounter, and doesn't affect the function of the rifle. but it shouldn't be something that is really "clanky"

unless it's a huge manufacturer like FN and others out there... where the vast majority of the major parts of the ARs are made in-house, ie.upper/lower receivers, those have a much tighter fit between receivers, where there is no play.

others smaller manufacturers buy their parts from somewhere else, so there might be very slight variance between the upper and lower fit.

here is a dirty little secret, some small manufacturers don't make their own parts. they have another manufacture make their receivers for them and have them engrave their name and logo on them, buy the rest of the parts elsewhere ie. barrel, upper the pieces and parts and assemble them in their shop and sell them.

if the play bothers you, they make shims that go on the take down pins that eliminates the play.

I done that when my FREEDOM ORDNANCE 9mm belt fed upper arrived and I mated it to my BUSHMASTER pistol lower. there was a bit of play between the receivers. slimmed it and it's "rock steady"

if you go on YOUTUBE there a huge amount of videos about this and how to eliminate the play.
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 12-02-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Veteran
    Thanks for the info Ghoulardi. I got ahold of my buddy that has this same model and he's going to stop by for a look. It's just a little wiggle, but I'm a machinist and mechanic by trade and things like guns and motorcycles that have really important parts wiggling around make me nervous lol! Like I said, never shot or owned an AR before. Lego kits for adults indeed lol.

Senior Veteran
    These work pretty well, and they are cheap.

Accu-wedge.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...ng-wedge-ar-15

accuwedge.jpg
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Veteran
    Thanks Scottz63, that will fix it at my cheap bastard price point. Just wish I could run down there and pick it up without the shipping like you can lol!

Senior Veteran
    Thanks Scottz63, that will fix it at my cheap bastard price point. Just wish I could run down there and pick it up without the shipping like you can lol!
    That does make it convenient! Lol!

Most gun shops carry them for around $5. The 3 shops I go to here do anyways.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Veteran
    OK, it's all here. Except I didn't know this had the butt stock compartment for the cleaning kit so I'll get that sorted. It came with a 30rd Tapco mag that looked cumbersome for bench and prone shooting, along with just not looking period correct, so I got 3 20 round mags with the carrier with ALICE clips for my Zombie response gear. The bayonet came listed as used, but should have said unissued. It still had a light film of oil on it when I pulled it out. Sling was listed as unissued and I agree with that. The glass is an NcSTAR 2-7X. When I was looking for glass for that Spanish Mauser I picked up a month ago there were good reviews for that NcSTAR unit and it's pretty clear for low $ glass, and this unit is just as clear. Time will tell for both of them. If you squint just right it looks like the 3X Colt scopes the A1's had lol! Close enough for me! I had to have the comic book to show me how to disassemble and clean it. That's the next step. Learn the basics of cleaning, MZ the sights, etc. It's too cold to shoot so I have a few months to get to know this unit. Ammo acquired is a 420box of IMI M193. Boxer primed and will be dedicated to this rifle. It has 1:8 twist so I'll probably some heavier bullets later. All in I'm sitting at $850. Under budget for a change lol! I remember when you couldn't touch an AR15 by itself for $1000. Seems the market is down on these.

IMG_0722.JPG

For controls to see how this rifle shoots, I have 2 standards. My buddy Ross has this exact same rifle to shoot against so we can shoot the same lot of ammo and swap guns. That will be a good test. My other control is my target rifle. A Ruger M77MKII, with 4-16X Simmons glass and Dayton trigger set way lighter than I like lol! It used to shoot minute of prairie dog head 15yrs ago before I acquired those ever popular cataracts. Dusting off the ammo box I found a 50 box of what it liked the best, 55g FMJBT over 25g of AA2460. Will be interesting to see what it shoots like 15yrs on. The AR has a .223 Wylde chamber, which is a compromise between .223 and 5.56 so it's not apples to apples, but it's the only ammo I have that's safe to run through both of them.

IMG_0727.JPG

As usual, GIJoe approves of this learning experience lol!

IMG_0724.JPG