Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro AR's

Veteran

Retro AR's

My friend picked up a Bear Creek Arsenal AR15 this summer, and I think it's think it's one here. https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/rif...p-12-rhg-ch-25
    I hadn't been interested in these until I saw it. Anyone out there shooting this and can review it for me? As you can guess, I want something like it. I want one that closely resembles a Nam M16.
    The only add on would be a scope. Any other brands that fit this criteria I should look at? Thanks for your help!

Regards, Don

Senior Veteran
    That's an A2. If you want a "Nam" build you should do an M16A1.

Like mine I built a couple of years ago.

m16new1.jpg

m16new2.jpg
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Welcome to the site.

It is an A4 shown in the picture.
    there is nothing on it that is Retro. ( flat top upper and detachable carry handle...........)

If you looking for something like the one Scott posted, That is already built it will run you from $1200 to $3000+

If you hunt for the parts it will still run you around $700 to $900+ just for the parts now.

Good Luck.
    Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 10-30-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    31B

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    ( flat top upper and detachable carry handle...........)
    Looked at it quickly and did not notice that, just looked at the rear sight actually. Thanks.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

well, if you want a "nam era" M16A1 clone, it's going to cost you some big bucks.. if you go with collecting the pieces and parts and putting it together. or, going with a COLT SP1.

there are plenty of COLT SP1s on the auctions sites, GUNBROKER etc.... just a a link to them. there is one that is about halfway down, that has a BUY IT NOW PRICE of 1650.00. which for a COLT factory SP1 is a very good price. I don't see it lasting too long before someone buy it. there are very few SP1 with BUY IT NOW option. most are straight auction

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...lt+sp1&Sort=13

anyway good luck,
    Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-30-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran
    Dunno if you guys have seen them but Troy has started making decent repros of some of the more unusual rifles with correct marking. https://myservicerifle.com/

XM177E2_SCAR-XM11-14YT-00-magwell-1-510x255.jpg
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

the clones they make now of the XM177 is the spitting image of a real one. back in 93 or 94, I wanted a carbine version of one, but the COLT one wasn't to my liking at all. then I stumbled on a EAGLE ARMS made in coal valley, ill. carbine. for the time this was the only rifle that was very similar to the XM177. that one appealed to me, so I bought it, and still have it

like I said, it's nowhere like the XM177, it's a A2 with a similar looking FH but not exact .

IMO, far better looking then the COLT carbine with a long skinny barrel coming from short handguards, which is the reason I bought it. can't remember what I paid, but it definitely was under what a COLT one was going for. people gravitated to that COLT name, like it was something special and pay the high price for one, which was fine with me. never went goo-goo-gaa-gaa for logos or names

Last edited by Ghoulardi; 10-31-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Veteran
    I guess I need to do a little more research. Scotts pics are what I'm looking for mostly. I think the early ones had a triangular fore stock, that went to a more oval shape. What I don't want is a butt stock like in Ghoulardi's pic.
    That looks like it belongs in a Transformers movie. No offence intended with that Ghoulardi, I really appreciate you guys helping me out. As for building one, I don't have time now. Maybe down the road as a retirement project, but now I'm looking for one off the rack. I like the looks of that BCA linked in my first post and would like to stay in that $ range. I just want this to fill the M16 niche in my collection. I won't hunt or compete with it, just take it to the range with my Ruger M77MKII in .223 and see which one is grouping better that day. Thanks again for your help, and I'll see if I can find a few others like that BCA.

Regards, Don

He's my retro, I put the FA binary trigger in it for fun. I had my GI 20rnd mags in the shop o I just popped a 30 in it for the pic.
    Next Ill be getting a original style grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TEC Tactical is a Licensed 07/02

Veteran
    Nice looking rifle Pyrotex. That is exactly the retro style I will look for. Does the carry handle come off the receiver? Would you have to remove the handle to mount a scope on it?