Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage. I think Iíll use my three Plano plastic boxes for range trips, or some type of non-ammunition storage. And, given the weight, going forward I think Iím going to focus on metal .30 cal boxes for almost everything. SoÖ if anyone has a good source for inexpensive containers, please let me know!

(Yes, thatís all I have right now, but everybody has to start somewhere.) Originally Iíd tried to label the cans with my wifeís old hand-squeeze label maker. And when I say ďoldĒ I mean 25+ years old (including the label tape). Along with being too small to read from more than a foot away, the labels had a tendency to just fall off. So, I played around with the font and type size on my laptop, printed off a page, cut them to size and attached with shipping tape.

(Yes, I realize that the handles on the three .50 cal cans covers the bottom of the labels.) However, with the exception of these containers, as I said above, Iíll be moving to .30 cal cans whenever possible. Therefore, just seeing ď7.62x51Ē on a .50 cal box will tell me exactly whatís in it. Each one of these cans contains the same thing: three 4-pouch bandoliers with 12 20-round G3 magazines in them (240 rounds each; 720 rounds total) for my PTR 91 rifle. These are for a grab-and-go WROL situation. The one .30 cal can is my current remaining boxed 7.62x51 ammunition. (Yes, I know I need to buy some more. My favorite online ammo seller is currently out of my favorite surplus ammo.)

The two .30 cal cans on the left each contain 400 rounds loaded on stripper clips for my SKS rifle. Iíll dip into these containers as needed for range trips (and then reload the stripper clips from the boxed ammo later). They could also be used in a grab-and-go WROL situation. The .50 cal can is about 4/5th full of boxed ammunition and it is heavy! So heavy that I donít even want to lug it upstairs to weigh it on the bathroom scale. Iíll be moving the ammunition to .30 cal cans ASAP.
    PTR 91, GI model - "Triple B"; Chinese Type 56 SKS - "The Snow Leopard"

Senior Veteran
    Metal cans are great. I throw a couple of oxy absorbers in my long term storage stuff and they pull a decent vacuum. I tried the printed label thing for a while and found they got faded or trashed to easily. Now I just mark the locking plate with a sharpie and if I change ammo in the can I respray the handle with Krylon italian olive.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

try your local gun shows for more ammo cans. around here there is not a shortage of them. you can strike up a deal if you're buying a bunch.

I must say you went "all out hog" making pretty labels. I just put a sticky label on the lid and just write what's in it
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulardi View Post
    I must say you went "all out hog" making pretty labels. I just put a sticky label on the lid and just write what's in it
    Yeah, I can get OCD sometimes.

Getting Organized

I picked up an $18.00 shelving unit at my local Walmart this afternoon. It has adjustable shelves (250 lbs rating per shelf; 750 lbs total) and adjustable feet (if your floor isn't level).

Each shelf can hold: three .50 cal cans and one .30 cal can; or, two .50 cal cans and two .30 cal cans; or, one .50 cal can and four .30 cal cans; or, six .30 cal cans. (The angle of the photo makes the legs looked bowed out.)
    Last edited by rjinga; 11-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Your set up looks really good! I'm sure you will have to have more shelving soon-

Airmedic6

oh i do like your labels!!

poor boy(me) just uses painters tape & a marker... man those labels are nice!!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I have almost all my ammo in surplus ammo cans.
    I use the 30 cal. for most of it.
    My wife made me some small labels to stick on them.
    If the ammo came in tins, I left them in the tins.
    For storage and stacking I don't think you can beat the surplus ammo cans.

This week we went over to storage and got out another batch of them.
    My wife does a trade show twice a year and I take them to the show to sell.
    They usually sell out in a few hours. I get $5 a can for them.
    It helps to clear out the storage building a little at a time.
    While the guys are opening and closing the cans the wives are looking at stuff in my wife's booth.

I use the 50 cal. cans to store small gun parts.

Ron
    31B

For storage I like the .50 cal cans, but for ammo I use for range, etc, .30 call cans are handy and lighter. Also need the .30 cal cans for belted 1919 ammo. Seems the .30 cal cans here
    are harder to get and cost more than the .50 cal cans. BTW anymore if I can buy the ammo already in cans I like to go that route. The cans are already marked, so that helps too.
    On mine I just write caliber on 3x5 card, cut it off the writing with scissors and scotch tap it on the cans. Stays on well for me and if needed I can peel it off and relabel can.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

depends on the ammo & how much ive got...

.30 cal cans are great for not being too heavy.

50 cal cans get heavy if you fill them with loose 9mm or 45acp stuff.

then ive got some bigger cans that are about 1' wide & 2' long by 2' deep... takes 2 guys to move those with loose stuff.

anything that came in a crate or "tin"... i leave that way until its broken open.. then it goes to a can.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.