Thread: Barrel Stamped C ?

Veteran

Barrel Stamped C ?

I always thought my barrel was a Spanish one.It has 4 grooves 4 lands.I thought US barrels were 6 grooves 6 lands?.But i looked at it close today and it looks like it might have a C stamped on it.No other marks i can see.Anyone else note that on there rifle

Senior Veteran
    All military barrels I have seen have a "flaming bomb" stamp at the base, close to the trunnion.

Haven't seen any other marking, save current proof marks of the "new" CETMEs, after General Dynamics bought Santa Barbara and sold a bunch of them here in the civilian market "re-chambered" in .307win, built from old spares stock still in the warehouses. Not all of those have the flaming bomb, thought.

Veteran
    Thanks.I am just confused i thought only the Spanish barrels were 4 groove?

Veteran
    Mystery solved !!! It is the flaming bomb not a C.The thick Century black paint was covering it up slightly.So a new Spanish barrel for sure. I do think they built a fair amount of Cetmes with the new Spanish barrels they got with the parts from Spain.At any rate mine is one

Senior Veteran
    Not necessarily "new", since that stamp is there in CETME's from the 60's ;-)

Veteran
    I hear you !!!! But if not the bore is perfect looking.And the flutes.But i do see your point it could have very well been used. I do remember Century was selling parts kits with new barrels.Spanish and USA made.But i also remember a few cases of pitted barrels posted.Pertaining to freshly bought century built Cetmes

Senior Veteran
    By not new I mean Santa Barbara stopped making CETME C barrels when they started production of CETME L.
    The new ones being sold in Spain are built from the spares kept for army maintenance that were never used, until General Dynamics bought Santa Barbara (closing everything save the armored vehicle factories).

So any barrel surfacing in the last ten years or so could be made in the 60's or 70's, despite being "new" (as in "never used before").

Sorry for my english, sometimes not even I know what I'm saying ;-)