Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting your holiday yard decor

Protecting your holiday yard decor

Anyone have ideas for protecting holiday yard decor?

I'm determined to stop people from stealing my 50" 16 piece nativity set.

People have stolen the camel, sheep and of course the baby jesus many times.
    It's hard to replace them. The set has been displayed for every Christmas since 1958. I have had to go on eBay to buy the identical pieces but they are getting harder and harder to find and expensive!

I have cameras on my house and a motion alarm this year that alerts me in the house. each item will be wired to rebar and driven 2-3 feet into the ground. Someone last year stole a camel staked down this way which surprised me. I think they cut the wire. My cameras are 1080p but a mask or Hoodie is going to make id difficult. I have thought about a 4' high poultry electric fence and having it marked with electric fence signs and no trespassing signs. My wife doesn't like the idea with little kids down the street. I could put a timer on it for 10pm-6am. I also wouldn't put it past these people to steal stuff middle of the day when I'm at work. Maybe stringing strands of electric fence wire on insulators with no electrification with a sign would be enough? Are thieves smart enough to use insulated wire cutters if they come back a second time if I do electrify?

I thought about putting a twisted loop around the neck of each figure and animal and wiring it up but was told the many loops around the necks would cause problems and make big voltage drops?

One person suggested boards with screws in them under the mulch behind the fence with the no trespassing elect fence signs.

If it's cold enough watering down the yard with a hose every day to build up an ice sheet would also work. They would most likely run up into my large flower bed where the display is between the house and garage. The display is protected on three sides. Only way to steal stuff is walk up my sidewalk and into the flower bed. I can put a fence from corner of garage to the front door and block off the whole set except camels and wise men in the yard. I can put another fence around them. I think 6x6 inchsquare by 6 ft tall concrete remesh wire "fence" would give good visibility and some element of protection. They could still smash it down between the metal t posts.

If I go elect fence route behind a first fence barrier I would be sure to keep the water hose for the ice on the yard away from the elec fence in the flower bed. If someone climbs through he remesh fence past no trespassing signs and elec fence signs they deserve what's coming.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by kevin; 11-13-2017 at 12:30 PM.

OMG!!

im not very religious anymore.... but do people actually steal JESUS?

that should be a direct ticket to Hell. no interview needed. straight path.

i dont know on the electric part, but a simple "cat style" deterrent would do the job. it hooks to your waterhose & works off of a battery powered eye... when someone crosses the plain, it hoses them down.

they also make a very loud horn the same way but that would probably not make your neighbors very happy if it happens late at nite. you can also get a relay that takes a picture of the person when the hose comes on.... & flashes a light on your phone.

we have used the water hose style before & it works great on animals. & anyone who will steal JESUS ... on his birthday... is just an animal.

heres a couple links for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKcCJ2QVnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InNtUFNa7bo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF8Y2O4...a-319112729242
    Last edited by sdk1968; 11-13-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I can setup a system regardless if I electrify it will city kids think it's just a joke? I know if I see a wire labeled as elect fence with insulators and the whole setup I'm not going to test it with my hand. I can probably still remember the date and time what I was wearing and what I ate before that day on each day I was zapped with the elec fence on the farm.

The baby jesus and animal thefts are very common, high school kids have scavenger hints to see who can collect the most baby jesus' in one night. Many stores that sell nativities (small ones for inside home displays) will not put out the baby jesus and leave a sign saying baby jesus viewed on request due to theft/shoplifting.
    Last edited by kevin; 11-13-2017 at 01:04 PM.

And this is what it's come too! Merry Christmas, and I guess that's not PC.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Really sucks people will do this - I really hate thieves, but this takes the "cake". I would stay away from electric fence in town, maybe some liability if kids wander
    into it, or even a pet. BTW I have had them for cattle and been knocked flat by them. It hurts! Hose idea sounds good to me, a soaking on a cold day will slow
    most people up. You hear of people following UPS/FedEx/Mail trucks to swipe packages left on porches, nothing surprises me. Luckily we don't have a big
    problem in my area with this.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-13-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

My city also passed a law that raised a felony to greater than 1000 so nothing can be done to these people. Police will not come out for posted property with trespassers either. The video I can give to the tv news or put up a big poster with the persons picture at the neighborhood entrance offering reward for I'd of thief. Still police won't do anything if you give them a name and address of the person. Person on our street caught same kid over and over again stealing packages of their porch on HD video and had name and address of kid. Kept stealing after getting off bus on walk home. Kids on bus id'd kid and school "disciplined" the kid by talking to him that stealing was wrong. Police said they had other priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    My city also passed a law that raised a felony to greater than 1000 so nothing can be done to these people. Police will not come out for posted property with trespassers either. The video I can give to the tv news or put up a big poster with the persons picture at the neighborhood entrance offering reward for I'd of thief. Still police won't do anything if you give them a name and address of the person. Person on our street caught same kid over and over again stealing packages of their porch on HD video and had name and address of kid. Kept stealing after getting off bus on walk home. Kids on bus id'd kid and school "disciplined" the kid by talking to him that stealing was wrong. Police said they had other priorities.
    Sorry about that - I don't know your situation, but it would be time for me to try to relocate than put up with that. Anyway good luck whatever you do.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Sorry about that - I don't know your situation, but it would be time for me to try to relocate than put up with that. Anyway good luck whatever you do.
    Dang it all. I know home is home, but I'm like BS, if it's that bad and the law can't or won't do anything then it would be time for me and mine to go.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    As a general rule, in most jurisdictions I have learned about, setting traps that can harm another, even if they are doing illegal activity, could cause both civil liability against you as well as criminal charges. I would, personally, NEVER set a trap like have been supposed.

Security cameras are one option, if a little pricey. Plannings solution of the die is probably borderline, its just likely to cause property damage, but I would still be cautious.

As always with this stuff, I suggest before taking any action you seek competent counsel licensed in your jurisdiction. As much as it may be wrong for someone to steal your baby Jesus, I also think it would be pretty awful for you to end up harming someone and going to jail for them trying to take it.

-E
    PLEASE NOTE!
    No post or message by this user shall be considered legal advice or a legal opinion, and shall not constitute the formation of a client/lawyer relationship. Do not rely on this information in making legal decisions. If you have a legal questions, please seek legal council qualified to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Wiring with powered electric fence system and posting so is NOT considered a trap (think farm fence)..