Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: @%^~&* Is it Me ???

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    Finding a place to hunt sucks, I hate it. Living in Northern VA the only place I have found is 2.5 hours North of me in Maryland close to PA. $180 out of state hunting license, fuel, time, but every weekend I make the trek to put meat in the freezer.

Sorry brother, I don't see the issue. As a guy that moves all the time and have a hard time finding a place to hunt, I would gladly sit in a tree stand 20 yards from my driveway if there were deer and its bow season. The only thing that keeps me from doing it here is I don't want to have to go fetch a deer out of my neighbors front lawn with their kids watching. With a firearm, I could see your cause for concern.

I know landowners all have issues with trespassing, poachers etc and I completely respect whatever you guys have to do to keep them away. When I have found someone generous enough to open their property to me, I make sure to repay them with Venison and manual labor and many thanks.

in 25 years of PCSing, I found it easier to find a place to hunt in Europe than here in the US.
    The problem is many of us property owners have been burnt by being generous and because of that stopped hunting or fishing by others on our property. You
    try to help someone out by saying they can hunt/or fish on a Saturday and they somehow turn that into a lifetime permit and start showing up with friends and family.
    I could tell things people have pulled all day long and none of them good. Many times they are people I know well and sometimes longtime friends, so when the family
    and kids friends show up at your front door saying they came to fish in my well stocked pond it puts me in a terrible spot. I look at kids and can't say no, but I spent
    a lot of money stocking and maintaining the pond for them to to clean it out.

In all my years here I have never had anyone actually offer to help maintain a pond, or help in any way to hunt on my property. If someone would cut me a few ricks
    of wood off my property I would let them hunt. If they helped stock my pond and with the maintenance and costs I would let them fish. That is if they realized this
    is my home and respect my need for some privacy and not show up at all hours, any day of the week, unannounced and often with people I don't even know. In
    short, I have been abuse by both friends and neighbors when it comes to this and just learned to say no, with no exceptions. It causes a lot less hard feelings
    to say no up front, than to try to shut it down latter when things get out of control.

Chris if you were close I would let you and your son's take a deer. There are a few folks like you that would be OK and not cause me any grief. I am getting older
    and just don't have the energy to sort it out anymore
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-26-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Charlie Don't Surf

I hear ya man, I like I said i know you guys have issues and I completely understand why people don't let others hunt their property. Its gotta be a 2 way street, either by lending a hand or paying a fee . I wouldn't mind paying for a lease, but for the price of a lease here, I could fly from DC to Hungary, have 4 days room/board, kill a trophy Red Stag and fly home.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    I hear ya man, I like I said i know you guys have issues and I completely understand why people don't let others hunt their property. Its gotta be a 2 way street, either by lending a hand or paying a fee . I wouldn't mind paying for a lease, but for the price of a lease here, I could fly from DC to Hungary, have 4 days room/board, kill a trophy Red Stag and fly home.
    I can understand where you are coming from - wanting to hunt, but no place to do it. I will likely need to very selectively let some hunting on my property in
    the future. Deer population is just getting too large. I am just going to be darn careful about it and make sure rules are understood and followed. Best of
    luck to you and if you are ever out this way during deer season holler at me.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-26-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I can understand where you are coming from - wanting to hunt, but no place to do it. I will likely need to very selectively let some hunting on my property in
    the future. Deer population is just getting too large. I am just going to be darn careful about it and make sure rules are understood and followed. Best of
    luck to you and if you are ever out this way during deer season holler at me.
    i aint seen shit this year.

and i dont let anyone on the prop. if theyre there, illegal

I have a Vet who lives in a tree house on state land behind my house who fishes in my pond to eat when he runs out food stamps.

When it gets really cold he sleeps in my tool shed as it has a small wood stove.

Came back from the sand box and needs to find his way home.

His parents live a mile or two away and stopover to see him from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I have a Vet who lives in a tree house on state land behind my house who fishes in my pond to eat when he runs out food stamps.

When it gets really cold he sleeps in my tool shed as it has a small wood stove.

Came back from the sand box and needs to find his way home.

His parents live a mile or two away and stopover to see him from time to time.
    Wow..

^^^ wow... just wow (berlin)

so in the vane of this thread & people putting tree stands up right on your line & as mentioned earlier this guys tree stand FACES my property only & looks right across my "no trespassing/no hunting" signs... i was down in the woods TODAY (sunday hunt NOT legal here until next week) & there was actually a guy in that tree stand when i motored over the hill bush hogging.

he heard me coming before he saw me & by the time i made it over to that post he was on the ground. he didnt run, so i shut off the hog to see if he wanted to chat.

hadnt even had time to ask him yet & he threw out: "i wasnt hunting, just scouting for tomorrow" (with a 12 gauge & no orange on)

so asked him if that was his tree stand. he said "no, but it looks like a nice place to spot a deer"

told him unless he was looking straight down at the ground at that no hunting/no trespassing sign on that fence post, that any deer he was spotting from up there facing my way was on my property & it would be an issue for him to venture past those posts.

he said: "pretty sure you are doing a good job of scaring them all off anyway."

told him i was gonna keep scaring them off for at the next 7 days, but he might get lucky if they ran to that side facing away from my place & crossed on that side of the posts... shooting away from my house was none of my business.

he said: "you aint gonna call the DNR are you?"

snapped his picture with my phone & told him: as long as you are not on THIS side of those posts, its none of my business.

he said: "well i gotta go." turned & started walking up the hill.

THIS is what you deal with even if you just have a small bit of land like us. we got 400 cows the left side of that fence,(guarantee you someone shoots at least 1 cow again this year) then my little place & then a big set of woods that borders the 2 of us that people just run wild all over doing dumb shit.

only reason i didnt put the 4' hog wire on that line was then it blocks the critters from having free access. might still do that side next spring.... try to protect the idiots from themselves.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I started to hunt later in life...never had family to "teach" me the "rules". I go by the rules the state game commission taught me. I was taught you never go into, nor shoot into posted land, so the guy who put up a stand facing your property is a NO GO. Its a climber, so it would be easy enough to have it facing the other way.

But I am envious of the guys who can walk out their door, climb into a stand on their property (or sit on their deck) and take a deer. Its an hour plus drive for me to state game lands...and then there was the day I forgot to bring ammo.