Thread: Last day of shooting this year... and visit from the Elf on the Shelf?

Talking Last day of shooting this year... and visit from the Elf on the Shelf?

Had an amazing day of shooting this past Saturday. It was December 2nd, 2017. And it was 40 degrees outside. In North Dakota. Nice clear skies, no snow on the ground, and hardly any wind. Today we already have 4 inches of snow on the ground and we’re bracing for the blizzard that’s going to hit soon. Saturday may very well have proved to be the last day of shooting for a while, but it was the perfect way to close out the season.

I brought out a PWS MK116 Mod2 in 7.62x39 (and YHM Phantom 7.62 suppressor), a SIG Sauer P226 MK25 (and Surefire Ryder 9Ti on its maiden voyage - it rocked the hut!), and my friend brought out his Mosin Nagant M91/30 and CZ-52 pistol. I also I brought along three 1lb. Gryphon Energetics Thundershot binary explosive targets. Oh, and the Elf on the Shelf decided to make an appearance. And it's entirely possible the day ended rather poorly for the elf.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Everything laid out on the table... and the Elf on the Shelf trying to horn in on our fun.

The Elf on the Shelf really liked the P226 MK25.

The Elf on the Shelf is also safety-conscious! No obstructions in the suppressor or the bore. Good to go!

Why, this looks like a super-comfy place to sit for a while!

And here's a video of everything that transpired next. Fun times!

Senior Veteran
    The elf had a bad day indeed! Lol!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Charlie Don't Surf

Haha! Best Elf on the shelf yet.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

well done!

very nice photos as always! but maybe you will decide to get out & do some shooting on one of those cold clear mornings covered in snow!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    but maybe you will decide to get out & do some shooting on one of those cold clear mornings covered in snow!
    There's always a possibility. I remember years ago over on gunboards.com Vic (or was it Tuco?) started doing this winter shooting match called the "Stalingrad Challenge." I want to say it took place in February each year? It was middle of winter anyhow. Friendly shoot, honor system, that sort of thing - however many rounds it was using a Mosin Nagant (I always used an M39), 100 yards, best combination of shooting and winter elements usually wound up with better scores. I remember doing it a few years in a row. We'd have to suit up, dig foxholes in the snow (usually several feet deep in February due to all the drifts), and then do some shooting. Temps were usually subzero. I think one year the windchill made it close to -40. (We made that one a particularly short shooting session. LOL) That sort of thing usually scratched our itch for shooting during the winter... but the older I've gotten, the less I've felt like that was the best way to scratch said itch. But who knows what happens this year?

Senior Veteran
    Quite funny!!!

Tony

The Elf did indeed pic a bad day to come visit. I went to a local range the other morning and was complaining because it was in the low fifties. You folks need an indoor range for that half a year that is not fit for man nor beast. It might have been your last shot for awhile but it sure looked like a good time.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Nice post, great day at teh range! Thanks for sharing.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible