Thread: anybody own one of these.

anybody own one of these.

not a big savage fan. so this is the first time i've heard of this muzzle loader. 10ML-II. i don't know if there are any other muzzle loader companies making the claim, that you can use smokeless powder in them.

but anyway, i stumbled on this news article.

http://my.earthlink.net/article/us?g...d-3d96e27d5d10

more poking around, i found this chuckhawks article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_ML_FAQ.htm

i guess at the time it was revolutionary.

sav10ML-II.jpg

don't know how i managed to get the picture of the browning in there, but i can't seem to remove it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nonleathal; 12-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.

I've got one and it's very accurate. There's alot of misinformation put out about them as traditional guys dislike inlines and smokeless just plain flips their switch. Add in there guys who don't really grasp that it won't be as forgiving as their other muzzle loaders using BP, pyrodex, black canyon, 777, blackhorn, or whatever substitute they're using. For instance, most new inlines can take 150gr of black powder. Load 150gr N110 smokeless in a savage and that is over 3x a normal charge. Most of the blowups look to be double loadings which can happen with anything. There was one blowup that was very suspicious. An former employee of Knight and Savage who touted duplexing charges of smokeless powder and was being fired suddenly had his personal MLII blow up after firing over 45k shots through them. The timing is suspicious, as is that he was using a "standard load" when he never did, and lack of any injury where as if you belive his story about how it happened is near impossible. But the letter he sent Savage threatening to ruin smokeless muzzleloading unless they gave him money is straight out of a poorly written tv show. You can read that saga here as well as the extortion letter http://randywakeman.com/HowToBlowUpASavage10ML.htm

There are several blown up savage guns if you do a google image search. Notice where the apex of the explosions appears to be which is further away from where a standard charge and sabot would be. Most look to be double loaded. I've got the SS composite stock version, but keep thinking about getting a nutmeg laminate stock while they're still available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moleman; 12-05-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Great post and fascinating information
    I did not even know they were making ML that took smokeless powder charges

After reading yours
    Looked up the story on the web and found many different posts with differing opinions.

I thought of this, the many thousands of Italian/Spanish made BP muzzle loading hunting and period replicas have been in steady use since the late 1950's
    For hunting and general sports shooting
    I wonder what the record is in the last 60 years.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Veteran
    I used to. Never used it so it went to someone who would. Friend who bought it new brought it to the local gun store to sell .They didn't want it.

I started out with a CVA 50 Hawken, then got a 1858 Rem, then a percussion Sharps rifle. Really liked the Sharps, but for whatever reason I couldn't consistently hit anything with it, my friends could though. So, down the road it went. Used the Hawken and Rem for at least 20 years before winning an inline CVA at a Ducks Unlimited dinner. Still liked shooting the Hawkens so I got rid of the inline. Wasn't until 7-8 years ago when open sights got a little harder to see that I got the Knight and scoped it. When I had a chance to get a Savage I did, and regret not getting one when I first saw them for sale years ago. Related bit of information. Most Spanish muzzle loaders aren't shot when made if made for export even if they have a proof stamp.

WoodButcher, Thanks again. Shot it again this past Sunday. N110 and Hornady bullets. One ragged hole at 100yds which works out to be less than 1". Which also helped me find the best shooting load for my sons Knight (my old one ). That knight inline rarely shot under an inch with the green sabots, but does with the black harvester sabots we got for the savage. I was able to beat my son at the steel plates at 150yds, but he was shooting ragged hole groups with the knight using a combination that we likely would not of tried had it not been for the Savage.
    Last edited by Moleman; 12-05-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Veteran
    Glad it has a good home,the poor little orphan. Now that it behaves well it's gotta earn its keep.