Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JRA Tanker

Veteran

JRA Tanker

When I decided to dust off the guns and get back to spending time at the reloading bench this summer, I thought now was a good time to get a few holes in my collection filled. I thought the Spanish Mauser would be the tough one to find but my buddy had one at the first gun show I went to this fall. The M16A2 clone was the easy one. See what was available and order it. This M14 took a little more research. I went with this JRA over a SA Scout because of availability, I liked the wood hand guard, and mostly because it has a forged receiver. I wanted a semi-auto US rifle bigger than my .30 Carbine so that left 2 choices. The 8 round clips of the Garand don't do anything for me so it had to be this M14. JRA calls this a "Paratrooper", but that doesn't work for me. I don't like flying. Also, my Mom's partner was a USMC Sgt. riding around Korea in an M46 blowing stuff up with a bigger gun than I'll ever own lol! When it warms enough to go shoot I think he'll want to try it out.
    Ammo will be another 2 boxes of that South Korean M80 ball I picked up. I'm going to run 100 rds. of that to sight it in and get some brass to start loading. I hear loading for these can be fussy so I see more learning in my future lol! I'll probably try a few of the cast bullet loads I work up for the Mauser, but the main goal for this rifle is 1 MOA at 200yd. with rounds that come off my press and not out of a box. With my eyes not working as well as they used to that will probably require a scope. What would you recommend for a scope mount?

IMG_0737.JPG
    Last edited by Don in IA; 12-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Basset is the mount I use, not cheap, but damn good mount. There a various commercial versions of the M14 with "cute" made up names (tanker/paratrooper come to mind)
    never used by the military. Call it whatever sounds good to you (LOL). Rifle looks nice - good luck with it!
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    That's really nice! Thinking of getting one for myself.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    I will second that on the Basset mount. Never could keep the scope tight with the Springfield mount and have had 0 issues since I went with the Basset

Nice spread, has the 1964 'could have been' feel to the photo. I too like the hand-guard, very clean.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Veteran
    Buck, to me it will be the M14. I don't need, want, or have room for more than 1 of anything other than 3 .22 rifles. Those are the 10/22, the Winchester, and the Remington lol. I see Bassett has 4 versions. The low pic rail looks the most useful to me, but have you used both the high and low version and have a preference?
    Now a ? about stocks. I want a beater stock to paint. I see Numrich has USGI fiberglass stocks in Fair cond. cheap. Can I "assume" all M14 stocks are interchangeable? The stock on it now is the part I'm least happy with. It looks lightly stained, but there is no oil finish on it. The only other rifle I've bought that way is the Polish M44.
    I've always been a "carbine" guy. I like the shorter versions of these rifles. They feel better balanced to me. The only long versions I have are the M16, and Enfield. It might be a gravitational illusion, but this M14 feels lighter than both of those. Probably because it still has that new toy feel lol!

IMG_0740.JPG

Senior Veteran
    I would have to lovingly rub that thing down with lots of BLO.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

[QUOTE=Don in IA;363906]Buck, to me it will be the M14. I don't need, want, or have room for more than 1 of anything other than 3 .22 rifles. Those are the 10/22, the Winchester, and the Remington lol. I see Bassett has 4 versions. The low pic rail looks the most useful to me, but have you used both the high and low version and have a preference?
    Now a ? about stocks. I want a beater stock to paint. I see Numrich has USGI fiberglass stocks in Fair cond. cheap. Can I "assume" all M14 stocks are interchangeable? The stock on it now is the part I'm least happy with. It looks lightly stained, but there is no oil finish on it. The only other rifle I've bought that way is the Polish M44.
    I've always been a "carbine" guy. I like the shorter versions of these rifles. They feel better balanced to me. The only long versions I have are the M16, and Enfield. It might be a gravitational illusion, but this M14 feels lighter than both of those. Probably because it still has that new toy feel lol!"

I have used the USGI fiberglass stocks on non-military M14s, to include the Polytech M14. If your version has the standard stock I bet it would work. They makes great beater stocks.
    You can order the standard fiberglass upper hand guard (in black or brown) for a few dollars. I think i got a couple thru Midway to add to an order I made thru them.

Veteran
    The stock and hand guard got here this morning. It's a project alright lol! The metal is a mess, as expected. I like the color and will put off painting for awhile.
    I also ordered a Bassett scope mount. Undecided on the scope. Anyone using a Leupold VX1 and can review it?

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

I have used Leopold VX1, VX2 and VX3 scopes and they are my scopes of choice. I have a VX2 with adjustable laser etch range finder on a Basett mount on my M1A.
    Probably about 4 VX1s on various hunting and target rifles and a couple of VX3s on a couple of long range shooters. I will likely go with VX1 on a Polytech M14 I plan
    on scoping. All are very good scopes.