Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JRA Tanker

Veteran
    The learning continues, and I could use some advice. I have the Pvt. Beetle Bailey stock where I want it and in the process of changing it. The first thing I notice is the op rod isn't lined up square with the gas cyl./piston. Is this a major problem? Also, it appears I have to tap the gas cyl. forward to get the handguard off. I have a brass drift for that, so where is the best spot on the cyl. to place said drift? Thanks for the help!

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

Veteran
    It's back together in the Beetle Bailey stock. Now I need some warm weather to get it run in.

IMG_0756.JPG

Veteran
    Getting closer. The scope mount got here yesterday. Here's the scope mounted on medium rings. Looks like I'll get by with the low rings, which of course were backordered. I'll probably need these medium rings if I try my 6x18 Simmons on it. I didn't care for the gold band around the objective lens so dulled it back with a sharpie.

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

Looks like progress. What scope model did you go with - just not sure from pictures.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran
    It's a Leupold VX1 3x9 with 40mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    It's a Leupold VX1 3x9 with 40mm lens.
    It will do you well
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran
    While waiting for the low rings to show up, I had time to familiarize myself with some new gear this morning. Got the kitty litter in the bench bags, and the chrono mounted on a tripod. I had some fleabay bonus bucks to get rid of and used them on a couple laser bore sighters. A .308 and also a .223. Got those to make setting up the chrono easier than my old "looks about right, hope I don't ventilate it" method lol!

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Then I had a semi fail at the loading bench. Had 9pc. of brass left. I bought 2k of Magtech's 150g. FMJBT's to use for practice and M80 spec loads. I'm starting with the practice load. Ran the brass thru my Lee full length sizer and dropped 37g. of H335 in. Was hoping to run half of these in the Mauser, the others thru the M14, but they won't chamber in the M14. The base of the unfired M80 mic's .468, once fired in the Mauser full length sized mic's .469/.4695. That's just enough to keep the bolt from rolling into battery. Damn. The once fired brass neck sized measures a whopping .474. That Mauser must have the chamber dimensions of a worn out machine gun lol! I've read some people need a small base sizer die, and this M14 might have a tight enough chamber to require one. I'll know after loading some brass that comes out of it.

S. K. M80 ball fits the case gauge.

IMG_0771.JPG

Magtech reload "just" over the high limit in the case gauge.

IMG_0770.JPG

165g. LFP neck sized. Not even close in the gauge, but feeds and chambers fine out of the magazine in the Mauser.

IMG_0769.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Looks like that brass is permanently fire formed for just the Mauser!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Veteran
    Got that right Scott. Be interesting to see how many loads I'll get out of that brass with the light cast recipe, and how many times I can get by with just neck sizing before I have to set the shoulder back a little in the full length die.

Veteran
    That misaligned op-rod was bugging me. It only took JRA 34 days to reply to the email I sent them with the 2 pics posted above. They forwarded said email to Bula, who got back to me the next day. Jeff said he wanted to look at it so I dropped it off at UPS yesterday. The saga continues.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 02-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.