Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Type 99

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Type 99 are 7.7 Jap. New production ammo is a little pricey and sometimes hard to find. I keep hoping privi partizan would start making some.
    I am with you Buckshot! Don't plan to shoot a lot but would like Prvi to make some,.....the stuff I found is $$$

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...oint-box-of-20

PS Beautiful looking rifle
    Last edited by luigi; 01-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Type 99 are 7.7 Jap. New production ammo is a little pricey and sometimes hard to find. I keep hoping privi partizan would start making some.
    Good to know. I am not too knowledgeable about Japanese weapons. Thanks.

Found some at Graf&Sons. PCI branded, in stock. $24.71 dealer price. Still a bit expensive though.

https://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/560345
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I am re-reading the book The Cactus Air Force about the air war over Guadalcanal. There are several references to infantry small arms from both sides downing low flying aircraft. One particular passage caught my attention. A Japanese recon aircraft was shot down while flying low over Henderson field after a thunderstorm closed the strip. The book said a high volume of American rifle fire downed her.
    This made me think of the 99's AA sights
    Would like to see some modern computer model tests of the 99's AA sights. How much lead did they give? What air speed where they figured at. I understood the idea was massed company sized element fire at slower flying biplane or artillery spotters.
    I wonder how effective they were in their intended role?
    Last edited by Norton; 01-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

When I bought my 7.7 ammo it was $20 for 20 rounds. Might have been from Grafs. With money getting tight not too long ago, most people were buying basic ammo calibers and not much exotic stuff. Companies like Hornady cut back on providing the rarer stuff, and prices went up. Prvi stepped in on some stuff. I thought they had reasonable 7.7 (under $30 a box) but I haven't looked for a while. I like the Hornady, soft shooting. I haven't tried anyone else's version.

Cripes! I just did a search on ammo seek. It's time to look for a used 7.7 die set.
    Last edited by nevada; 01-13-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: add comment
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Veteran
    Lee has a set of Pacesetter dies for this 7.7 $37 on fleabay. My pockets aren't deep enough to shoot these oddball calibers with off the shelf ammo. I realize loading is a time sink and some people can't find that time, but I feel they are missing out on half the fun of this shooting hobby.
    That's a sharp looking rifle Buck! We need a range report.

Veteran
    Some years ago PO Ackley tested a large selection of bolt rifles to destruction.
    The strongest one was an Arisaka 99.
    COG#4
    Si hoc legere,scis nimium eruditiones habes.

I saw ad in Surplus Military magazine for " Coming in 2018...Bannerman Ammunition".

I think Graf's bought the trademark name for Bannerman to market their ammo under a new name?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    When I bought my 7.7 ammo it was $20 for 20 rounds. Might have been from Grafs. With money getting tight not too long ago, most people were buying basic ammo calibers and not much exotic stuff. Companies like Hornady cut back on providing the rarer stuff, and prices went up. Prvi stepped in on some stuff. I thought they had reasonable 7.7 (under $30 a box) but I haven't looked for a while. I like the Hornady, soft shooting. I haven't tried anyone else's version.

Cripes! I just did a search on ammo seek. It's time to look for a used 7.7 die set.
    I think just about all 7.7 and 6.5 Jap. ammo I have is made by Hornady. Not sure if they still make it, but guessing they just made one batch (or so) every year if they do and once it is sold out - it is gone
    until next time. I can pretty much find what I want in surplus ammo, Privi makes most of it, but the Japanese 7.7 and 6.5. I don't understand why it is not available as Ariska rifles are not an uncommon
    military surplus rifle and there seems to be a demand for ammo.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

My Type 99 Substitute Rifle

I have one Type 99 "Substitute Rifle" (aka Last Ditch); it is a Nagoya 10th Series. Whoever picked this gun up must have had access to a warehouse of unfired ones because this one looks to legitimately be unfired. Sadly the Mum shows several light chisel marks but is otherwise flawless:

As far as ammo goes I have 2 boxes of commercial (Wolf Gold) loaded 7.7 Japanese Ammo. I haven't shot the gun yet - not sure why I haven't but haven't!
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

I guy I went to school with shoots a 7.7. I've never seen it, but I do know he rolls his own and swears by the rifle. I believe his father brought it back.
    Joe
    COG#1453