Thread: If a Bren receiver is welded up to assemble the parts kit, is it a firearm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veteran

If a Bren receiver is welded up to assemble the parts kit, is it a firearm?

I have a MKII Bren kit that i welded up the receiver. I disassembled all the parts and parkerized them and assembled them to make a static dummy gun ( no aftermarket parts to make it go boom) for my man room. My man room is looking to move to Florida, and im not looking to throw it in storage for possibly a year of more so i was thinking of selling it as a non firing kit or what ever is legal. Looking for advice before putting it in the the for sale section. Thanks, Roger.
    Navy Chief (Retired)

I am not sure where it crosses the line between being a dummy receiver and the real deal particularly with the re-weld. I am thinking a complete receiver may constitute a firearm.
    I have seen re-welded Bren receivers that needed cleaned up and finished out being sold on Gunbroker, but don't remember if they were selling them as parts or firearms?? Anyway I
    can not give you an answer, but if you find out let us know. BTW I am assuming you did what is required to make the receiver semi-auto or non-functional dummy.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-08-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran

As far as i know from everything i read, i did what is required to make it semi auto legal. The receiver was torch cut through all the vital areas. I had to weld, file, shape, and weld again to get all the parts to work smooth. It was cut through the breech area so i used a shell as a head space gage to get the bolt to close tight. It could probably use some more work and fire fine with the semi auto parts. I dont know.
    Navy Chief (Retired)

several basic things make it a firearm in the BATF eyes..

just like any other dummy gun or reweld.. if it can do any combo of the multiple things................ ITS A FIREARM.

any combo of: accepting an original bolt, barrel, carrier, FCG, magazine or chamber a round. (you can do 1, just not a combo of more than 1)

then throw in if you didnt put denials in to keep it from accepting FA parts its not just a firearm... its a machine gun/NFA item.

the actual letter from the ATF is stickied here somewhere.... just cant remember where.
    Last edited by sdk1968; 01-09-2018 at 07:04 AM.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.