Thread: Quality HMC Carbine

Veteran

Quality HMC Carbine

While waiting for it to warm up enough to shoot, I'm giving the rifles a clean/grease and starting with my favorite, a Quality .30 carbine.
    Back story goes I'm wandering around the LGS around 1994/95 looking for a carbine and see a dealer with a bunch of milsurp. Carbines, Garands, 03's etc. 5 carbines laying there. Original Winchester priced accordingly (way out of my league at the time lol) 3 Inlands at $275 (but being a GM product, where Ford blue runs in my veins were out of the question) and this beat up Quality at $250. He was straight up and told me it was a parts is parts shooter. I'm a sucker for a patina project and offered $200, which was my budget for guns back then. He grabbed the sling, oiler, and the mag pouch out of a box and said $225, and it followed me home. I love gun shows. The last bastion of haggling lol!
    Shot it that way for awhile, but with the eyes going south picked up a Leapers 3x9 compact scope/mount. Putting it back together I turned the mount around because that scope has a very short eye relief. Looks kind of funky but I think it will work better.
    I'm not up on the alphabet codes, but nothing had a Q code so it looks like everything was changed when it was rebuilt. It's also an import. Along the axis of the barrel on the bottom it's stamped ARL ORD Arlington VA. Successor to Blue Sky. At least it doesn't have that bore crushing BLUE SKY stamp on it. The AR ORD stamp is so faint I had to use a magnifying glass to see it.
    Codes I found were
    rear sight PI?
    hammer I-I Inland?
    front barrel band JM?
    mag release M with a dash under it.
    stock has either a M or W in the sling slot. Any ideas?
    hand guard PJ which means "replacement" I think?
    bolt 15 with an S under it. No clue there.
    barrel is a 6-44 Underwood.
    Like I said, parts is parts. Quality's were always mix masters as they only made receivers but this one goes way beyond that lol!
    He was right about it being a shooter though. The day I put the scope on I took it to the range with a box of 110g ball over 14g of H110 and shot it at 100yd. They all hit the target at 7oclock about 6" low. the 4 on the right cut the same hole, and the one on the left just missed. They were so horizontal I could have almost laid a scale along them and touched them all. About 1.25" wide. I don't often keep a target, but had that one folded in my reloading log. For you it didn't happen because no pic. Lost it in that damn flood.
    I like that black bayonet with the 30 rounders. Kind of gives it that ARVN look, but the 15 rounders I always use on the shooting bench. The leather handled bayonet wouldn't even go on. Typical Chinese attention to tolerance details lol! I need to grab a file and do some fitting there.
    Ammo choice for this is left to right is
    #1 115g LRN over 4.4g of HP38. This turns it into a bolt gun as they won't cycle the action. I see you shaking your head asking why? lol. Why is because they are accurate enough out to 50yds., I don't have to chase brass, and are you shooting yours for $.10/round? They are also very easy on the rifle. I've never had a problem with lead in the gas port shooting these and I'm on my 4th 500 box. Just loaded 400 of these a month ago.
    #2 Remington 110g soft points. Good story here. Right after I bought this rifle I was telling a guy at work about it. He said I have something for you. The next day he hands me 2 boxes of these. Said his Dad had one and sold it, and these were gathering dust. I read some of you have problems with these feeding. I haven't shot any of those 100 but will try them out this spring when I get the new chrono set up. I'll be running all of these over the screens. They are marked $12.35 on the box. Probably more now, and he wouldn't even let me buy him lunch for them. Nice guy, I miss working with him.
    #3 Poonsang surplus 110g ball. I bought 2 boxes of these the day I bought my RI .45 about 10 years ago. Made on 80. Haven't shot any of them yet. Anyone try these? I was told they were boxer primed.
    #4 Berry copper plated 110g ball over 11g of 2400. I picked up a box of these to try because they are rated at 1750fps so that's what I'm aiming for. Let you know after they zip over the screens.
    Anyway, that's all I got for now. For now, without having shot the M16 of M14, it's definitely my favorite military rifle. Anyone who can't walk away laughing from shooting a .30 Carbine needs to check their pulse.

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Very nice! I love the M1 Carbines, one of my favorites to shoot.

BTW, that's possibly a Winchester stock. Is there any other markings on the other side of the stock? WRA stamp, cartouche?

Also there were "M" marked replacement stocks, maybe Marlin.
    Last edited by scottz63; 01-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

M! Carbine got to be one of my favorites to shoot. Does not beat me up and I ind them very accurate. Thanks for the post.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Very nice, buck. Back about '67 I bought a repro carbine. I was 16 and back then you just laid money on the counter and bought the gun. Worst firearm I ever had. It shot itself to pieces in less than 100 rounds. The store wouldn't take it back, and I was so pissed I threw it in the trash can outside the stores front door. I don't know what brand it was, but still had a need for that style gun. It was decades later I finally got one. I'm a happy camper with it.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Veteran
    Thanks guys. Scott, I think that's an M in the stock. I think Winchester stamped their W under the hand guard. But I'm shooting from the hip here so its probably a 5 ring instead of an X lol!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Thanks guys. Scott, I think that's an M in the stock. I think Winchester stamped their W under the hand guard. But I'm shooting from the hip here so its probably a 5 ring instead of an X lol!
    Lol! Most likely an M mark. Maybe a Marlin made replacement stock .

Good source for M1 Carbine parts ID and and markings, if you don't all ready know about it. Link is to the stock page but many other links from there to everything else.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html

Veteran
    Yep, that's the site I was using to try to decipher the alphabet soup codes. The guys collecting these sure have their work cut out for them.

Senior Veteran
    Yeah, took me a while to decipher my IBM carbine. It was fun though.