Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current Prices of Milsurps

backing up a few posts to the "price" of these incoming Korean loaners...

was mentioned that the prices werent gonna change because of it.

CMP has changed a lot. not just the prices.. as mentioned, those always go up. dealing with CMP now vs when most of us bought multiple rifles from them yearly is not the same.

these loaners are going to be fairly expensive vs what we have been used to & the 1911's are gonna be well over $1K-1.2K.

maybe for some people thats "not much". but for my little old C&R habit? that kinda puts them in the not worth it category.

granted that will just leave more for someone else. probably someone new to collecting these things that never had the lower prices.

for me? just cant see a refurb'd 50's issue 1911 being worth that kind of cash, especially when you can buy new manufactured versions for half that.

NO, its not that im anti Korean.. cause im not, even got a Kioti tractor(DAEDONG)... Just seems steep for post WWII stuff.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    I bought my MAK90, Enfield, Mosin, and .30 carbine 20/25 years ago. It appears they might have appreciated 3/4 times since then. However, I'm making 5 times as much /hr. at the daily grind as I did back then. So were they a better bargain than the AR, M14, and Mauser I bought last fall? I don't know. But what I do know is 99% of the time guns hold their value or appreciate, and are WAY more entertaining than staring at #'s on you monthly bank statement. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    I bought my MAK90, Enfield, Mosin, and .30 carbine 20/25 years ago. It appears they might have appreciated 3/4 times since then. However, I'm making 5 times as much /hr. at the daily grind as I did back then. So were they a better bargain than the AR, M14, and Mauser I bought last fall? I don't know. But what I do know is 99% of the time guns hold their value or appreciate, and are WAY more entertaining than staring at #'s on you monthly bank statement. YMMV.
    YES, well said.........
    31B

^^^^ ^^^^ all true.

that didnt answer this part: are any of you guys gonna drop $1,000-$1,500 on 1 of these Korean 1911 refurbs?

im gauging out my OP vs what others are thinking.... are they worth it? could they EVER be worth this kind of coin?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Just came back from the LGS after looking at the only two Milsurps in the store. One was a Springfield 1903 in pretty good shape with a crack in the stock near the heal, $1050. The other was a standard Mosin, heavy counterbore, $295. Prices are going up even with blemishes. I don't think there is any stop to it, just going to keep going up.

Edit: Forgot, stopped by the local pawn shop the other day. Only one Milsurp. An HRA Garand in maybe service grade, $1300!!! Geese!
    Last edited by scottz63; 02-13-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    ^^^^ ^^^^ all true.

that didnt answer this part: are any of you guys gonna drop $1,000-$1,500 on 1 of these Korean 1911 refurbs?

im gauging out my OP vs what others are thinking.... are they worth it? could they EVER be worth this kind of coin?
    Well, I can't say that I have not paid that kind of money and more for a 1911 . But when I did I still thought there was a little meat left on the bone. I'm not sure sure I have enough time left to see these turn a profit. OMHO.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Look at it another way, we do it because it is fun - we enjoy doing it. I could have bought a expensive fishing boat or RV that I would use some for a couple
    of years and then just sit in my shed loosing value or sell them for a big loss. I could take up golfing, buy expensive membership, belong to the club, pay the fees
    and buy all the right gear and have nothing to show for it at the end, take expensive trips and many other ways to blow money. Not knocking any of it, if you
    enjoy it and it is your thing, go for it. My choice was collecting old firearms. I have spent a fair amount of money over the years doing that. . I enjoyed myself
    looking for them and spending the money on them. I had my fun, but can recover all the money and more that I spent having the fun. There is not many
    fun things you can do that you can say that for.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I try to explain just that to my wife all the time. She doesn't get it! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Look at it another way, we do it because it is fun - we enjoy doing it. I could have bought a expensive fishing boat or RV that I would use some for a couple
    of years and then just sit in my shed loosing value or sell them for a big loss. I could take up golfing, buy expensive membership, belong to the club, pay the fees
    and buy all the right gear and have nothing to show for it at the end, take expensive trips and many other ways to blow money. Not knocking any of it, if you
    enjoy it and it is your thing, go for it. My choice was collecting old firearms. I have spent a fair amount of money over the years doing that. . I enjoyed myself
    looking for them and spending the money on them. I had my fun, but can recover all the money and more that I spent having the fun. There is not many
    fun things you can do that you can say that for.
    Chief, I couldn't agree with you more. We do it because it's fun. I didn't mean to make it sound like it is just about the money. For me it has never been about the money. Like you said it's what we do and for me the hunt was the most fun. When it comes to my 1911's I would like for the next one to be better than the last. I just don't think these loaners are going to be something I want to get into.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    So, my son is currently playing Call of Duty:WWII on X-Box. He has been using an M1 Carbine and loves it in game. Now he wants to go shoot mine so he can "feel" it. Lol

cod_wwii_art-740x416.jpg