Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Some Ideas (Help) NFA Thompson or NFA M16 ??????

Need Some Ideas (Help) NFA Thompson or NFA M16 ??????

Was talking to an old time dealer in NFA firearms he that he has for sale. He said he had some excellent condition NFA Thompson SMGs,
    both 1928 and military M1 versions, but felt I would be better served by getting a NFA M16. He made a point that the M16 can be setup
    in so many different ways, including calibers, but easily switched uppers, and parts are easy to get. Now I have been around M16s and
    latter AR15s all my life, I have the slide fire stocks and binary triggers, they are kind of old news to me. The Thompson seems kind of sexy,
    lot of history, etc, plus something different.

I have not made up my mind (might do nothing), but needs some thoughts on this. What do you all think?
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    It would be an easy choice for me. NFA Thompson military M1 all the way. AR's are too common and getting kind of boring.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Was talking to an old time dealer in NFA firearms he that he has for sale. He said he had some excellent condition NFA Thompson SMGs,
    both 1928 and military M1 versions, but felt I would be better served by getting a NFA M16. He made a point that the M16 can be setup
    in so many different ways, including calibers, but easily switched uppers, and parts are easy to get. Now I have been around M16s and
    latter AR15s all my life, I have the slide fire stocks and binary triggers, they are kind of old news to me. The Thompson seems kind of sexy,
    lot of history, etc, plus something different.

I have not made up my mind (might do nothing), but needs some thoughts on this. What do you all think?
    Chief, I would never tell you how to spend your money. Now however, If it were me I would rather have any early type 1928 Thompson than any M16. OMHO.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

My vote,1928 Thompson,it's a classic,m16 does nothing for me,just my opinion,plus you asked.
    either you LIKE BACON or you're WRONG

Either is wonderful, but one is historic....Whichever it is to be we're all happy you get the opportunity to choose.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Thompson.

Dispenser of the Haterade.

The guy was interesting to talk too, been around for a long while. He said he was not a fan of the Thompson. He said - I have some real nice Thompson's and
    if that is what you want I will sell one to you, but I encourage you consider a M16 as there is so much more you can do with them. If I do this I will be like
    many and likely not shoot whatever I get a whole lot. Now what would I rather hang on the wall a iconic gangster era Thompson, or a M16 that looks like
    every AR15 millions of people have to look at and display. But, he has a point, a M16 is a more practical platform with many ways to set it up. I have not
    made up my mind to move on this, but if I do it will be the last NFA MG I get and I want to not regret my choice.

Now if I did go with the Thompson should it be the military M1 version with no pistol grip that does not take a drum, (nice for military display) or the 1928
    (gangster era) with front pistol grip and takes both drum and magazine. Actually although the M1 was the military version, they did use the 1928 too.

There were two military types of Thompson SMG.

The M1928A1 had provisions for box and drum magazines. It had a Cutts compensator, cooling fins on the barrel, employed a delayed blowback action and its charging handle was on the top of the receiver.
    The M1 and M1A1 had a barrel without cooling fins, a simplified rear sight, provisions only for box magazines, employed a straight blowback action and the charging handle was on the side of the receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-19-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

as a guy who shoots FA tommy's..........

m16 is fun... but its got NOTHING on a CHOPPER!!

tommy all the way!!!

m1 is cheaper to get than a 28a1.... but for a guy like you with a big display? nothing screams gangsta like a 28a1!

(m1 is stick only, 28a1 is stick/drum)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

they all lose their "sexiness" pretty quick when you are feeding them.....

Thompsons are a lot of fun but they are expensive to shoot

your guy has a point on the M16.........pretty much limitless what you can create with it
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Buck my vote goes to the Tommy gun. It has nearly the top cool factor for the collector
    you are not going to have to carry it in a war or stakeout.
    If you could get an ex police department weapon it might be the crown jewel to your mighty impressive collection.
    I have shot the WW 2 M 1 Thompson and it was great funBOB 3.png,

For plus side of the M 16 A 1 or earlier AR type rifles you know it like the back of your hand and can take it apart and clear it blind folded. It has the the nostalgia factor for the 60's and 70's
    Ammo is cheaper than 45.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union