Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Ideas (Help) NFA Thompson or NFA M16 ??????

Well done Chief. I think I will try living vicariously through you for awhile. That way I can almost wipe out my bucket list.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Took 19 days for dealer to get check, fill out and get Form 4 to me, do my part on it and today it was mailed off to BATF by me. Now it just the wait.

On another note my gun smith who was to put the 10.5" barrel (SBR) on my 1927-A1 Kahr Thompson has been sitting it for way too long. I called him yesterday
    and said if it was not done in the next 3-4 days I was picking it up done or not. I got the stamp to SBR it 1st of Nov 17.

The FA 1928 Thompson comes with a 30 rd mag and 50rd drum. I had 5-6 original Thompson 30 rd sticks, but the latching holes had been modified in them
    to work in the Kahr model Thompson, so doubt the will latch correctly in the F/A. Ordered a couple 30rd F/A mags from Sarco (what they had in stock)
    and got them in hand. Need to find some more.

BTW I already had two 50 rd drums for the Kahr and I believe they might work in the FA Thompson as the drums lock in different than the stick mags.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

BUCK, I am looking forward to all the pictures and maybe a video of you shoot in it.

-------------------------------------
    One of the guys I was with had a Thompson he carried, It was a lot of fun and we had an unlimited supply of ammo and mags for it.
    It was heavy and made lots of noise.

I had a M3 grease gun that I would keep at the Villa that was fun to shoot. So look around and maybe you could add one to your collection.
    I kept it next to my bed and used it during a few short fire fights. Lots of noise and plenty of flash to go along with it.

I also had a M2 carbine that was fun to shoot, but the supply of ammo was slim, so I didn't shoot it much. One of the guys had a brand new inland M2 para that he carried around.
    The toys we had or could have had was almost unlimited.

I almost forgot I had a brand new milled China made AK and lots of ammo for it. Some times I would fire it up during a fire fight and it cause so much confusion with the attackers that they left quickly.
    The last time I used it we had a new guy with us and he thought we had VC in the Villa with us and panicked, so I quit using it during fire fights.

We had a lot of noise makers and when we started shooting them at the same time, the noise was hard on the ears.
    It sure got the endrophines ( spelling is incorrect) going.....

Sorry Buck the memories start coming back and I get to rambling on.
    I would like to shoot FA one more time before my time is up.
    A few pictures from a long time ago in a land far far away.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Planning; 03-09-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    31B

so far you are moving along at a nice clip on this.

seriously though: get you a 20rnd magazine for when you let people play with your toy. not only on the ammo cost on your end... but also on the run away factor. rookies on tommy can = a mess.

not sure if its all tommy's or just the way i was taught to shoot them, but they like to climb left/high.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    One of the guys I was with had a Thompson he carried, It was a lot of fun and we had an unlimited supply of ammo and mags for it.
    It was heavy and made lots of noise.

I had a M3 grease gun that I would keep at the Villa that was fun to shoot. So look around and maybe you could add one to your collection.
    I kept it next to my bed and used it during a few short fire fights. Lots of noise and plenty of flash to go along with it.

I also had a M2 carbine that was fun to shoot, but the supply of ammo was slim, so I didn't shoot it much. One of the guys had a brand new inland M2 para that he carried around.
    The toys we had or could have had was almost unlimited.

I almost forgot I had a brand new milled China made AK and lots of ammo for it. Some times I would fire it up during a fire fight and it cause so much confusion with the attackers that they left quickly.
    The last time I used it we had a new guy with us and he thought we had VC in the Villa with us and panicked, so I quit using it during fire fights.

We had a lot of noise makers and when we started shooting them at the same time, the noise was hard on the ears.
    It sure got the endrophines ( spelling is incorrect) going.....

Sorry Buck the memories start coming back and I get to rambling on.
    I would like to shoot FA one more time before my time is up.
    A few pictures from a long time ago in a land far far away.

Ron
    Cool pictures Ron. Actually compared to many the M2s are some of the lesser priced FAs you can pickup. None are cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    so far you are moving along at a nice clip on this.

seriously though: get you a 20rnd magazine for when you let people play with your toy. not only on the ammo cost on your end... but also on the run away factor. rookies on tommy can = a mess.

not sure if its all tommy's or just the way i was taught to shoot them, but they like to climb left/high.
    It has been many many years since I shot a Thompson. It was actually a FBI Thompson when I was in CID, but the FBI Agent would not let me fire it FA (LOL). I have
    not fired the S/A Kahr Thompson either. I was waiting for the 10.5" barrel to be put on first. I saw SARCO,or someone, had 4 original 20rd mags in a pouch deal. Need
    to find that again and order it.

Planning, Come up to Tulsa. L&L has periodic shoots that rent every full auto that you've every heard of, to shoot.

https://www.facebook.com/L-L-Machine...8082213910786/

Nice buy, Buck!

The Thompson is clearly one of the most iconic and legendary subguns out there. The C&R models are pretty sweet, too, since it's always great when you can buy a gun that has some history to it. The Thompson has pretty much everything going for it.

The only thing I don't like about the Thompson is the ergonomics... or perhaps I should say "complete lack of ergonomics." A good friend has an M1 Thompson and while any MG is fun to shoot, that Thompson is the most uncomfortable gun I've ever fired. I put the Thompson and the Desert Eagle in the same ergo category, which is to say it has the ergonomics of a cinder block lashed to a 2x4. I used to give him all sorts of grief when we'd have an MG day and he'd have his Tommy gun and I'd bring along my Reising and anyone out there shooting with us would say how much more comfortable the Reising was to shoot compared to the Thompson. I'd always say "Well, that's the difference between a $3,000 gun and a $20,000 gun" and people would predictably respond with "Wow, that Reising cost $20,000?" And of course, I would say "Nope" with a wry smile on my face.

But there is something undeniably sexy about the Thompson. The cool factor is off the charts because of what it is. The Reising was fun, but I ended up selling it after 10 years or so because it wasn't really floating my boat anymore. (Getting the NFA M1919A6 sorta raised the bar for what it takes to float my MG boat now, I guess.) My friend still has that Thompson and has no plans to ever sell it. That sorta sums up everything right there.

Buck, have you invested in a 5-stage progressive loading press yet?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Quote Originally Posted by ptrthgr8 View Post

I'd always say "Well, that's the difference between a $3,000 gun and a $20,000 gun" and people would predictably respond with "Wow, that Reising cost $20,000?" And of course, I would say "Nope" with a wry smile on my face.

~ Greg ~

Greg,

thats just dirty! hilarious, but dirty.

always thought that a reising would be the way to go to get into a FA in 45acp.... but Heckinohio kept talking me out of them.. there is a particular part that is prone to breaking & it was supposed to be getting pretty rare now days...
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I had a chance to get one about eight or ten years ago A reising that is, and I passed , and I have kicked myself in the butt so many times. The rest of that is a long sad story. Sorry Chief didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    Greg,

thats just dirty! hilarious, but dirty.

always thought that a reising would be the way to go to get into a FA in 45acp.... but Heckinohio kept talking me out of them.. there is a particular part that is prone to breaking & it was supposed to be getting pretty rare now days...
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson