Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like It Is Going To Happen - Banning Bump Fire Stocks

Looks Like It Is Going To Happen - Banning Bump Fire Stocks

Fox: "President Trump on Tuesday directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to craft new regulations to ban firearm modifiers including the “bump stock”

Looks like it will include binary and other fancy triggers too.

So what will happen? Ban future sales, let current owners keep them? Make current owners NFA the items? Or just say they are illegal - turn them in?
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Knee jerk. I recall when I was young schools and doctors monitored behavior pretty closely, and when kids exhibited abnormal behavior it was addressed quickly. I don't mean to sound unfair or cruel, but when someone couldn't function they just disappeared it seemed. The state stepped in and they got care, if the problem couldn't be fixed they were kept under supervision.
    Now mentally ill individuals are set loose without supervision in the name of 'fairness' which places all in the way of potential danger..........Just my personal thoughts and observations overflowing...........
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran

Bump stocks are a real grey area - on the one hand they only require one action on the part of the person firing to trigger multiple shots -- more or less the definition of automatic fire. On the other hand, they achieve this with one actuation of the trigger for each shot -- more or less the definition of semi-automatic fire.

While I don't have any interest in bump stocks myself, I don't support banning them. The above is a testament to the futility of attempting to define everything and regulate it based on the definitions, and it all comes apart when someone invents a thing square in the middle between two opposites.

I did not support Trump, for the very reason that he has a history of supporting gun control, and is in my view a fickle person of short attention span, making him very prone to blow with the prevailing wind of momentary opinion. I think the relative success of his policies in the last year is evidence that he's been seeking out good advice and following it.

They will regulate them. Why miss a chance to fleece gun owners one more time? $200 and a Form 1 and you too can have a bump stock for your AR.
    I like all foreign firearms...

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Bump stocks are a real grey area - on the one hand they only require one action on the part of the person firing to trigger multiple shots -- more or less the definition of automatic fire. On the other hand, they achieve this with one actuation of the trigger for each shot -- more or less the definition of semi-automatic fire.

While I don't have any interest in bump stocks myself, I don't support banning them. The above is a testament to the futility of attempting to define everything and regulate it based on the definitions, and it all comes apart when someone invents a thing square in the middle between two opposites.

I did not support Trump, for the very reason that he has a history of supporting gun control, and is in my view a fickle person of short attention span, making him very prone to blow with the prevailing wind of momentary opinion. I think the relative success of his policies in the last year is evidence that he's been seeking out good advice and following it.
    Mr. Downey, I have an unrelated post waiting for you in the HK Battle Rifle area.

Super Moderator
    I have my own opinions on this but here's my question or thought. What's changed?? When I was in school a long time ago, Semi Auto weapons were available then as they are today. Mini 14's, AR's, Etc. Hell that's when I was first introduced to firearms. We shot bb guns and .22's in the cub and boy scouts. So why were there very, very few shootings at schools, let alone mass shootings? Did the weapons change somehow to cause this new issue or are we so much more advanced and civilized today, then back in the old days where this kind of thing rarely happened? Can society no longer handle being held accountable for their actions? Are we to continue to place blame on inanimate objects for the ill's of a failed health system? So what's your thoughts on this??
    Last edited by Milsurp; 02-20-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Parents don't discipline their children any longer and most of them are flakier than their kids. That's what all the Liberalism and 'Me' generation has done to this country.

Senior Veteran
    To tell you the truth, I could care less about bump fire stocks and binary triggers, no use to me. But, any anti gun law is bad and we don't need it.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

There are tens of thousands of bump stocks and binary and/or enhanced triggers out there. They have been sold for years, no serial numbers and are untraceable.
    I have seen a simple rubber bands being use to bump fire, along with strings, belt loops, and simply holding ones arm stiff. It does not matter if it is practical, logical,
    or will accomplish anything by doing it. Apparently to the POTUS, a number of Republican politicians and of course the Dems banning something, anything, will
    show they care and get the very verbal threatening anti-gun people/mob at least temporary off theirr backs. Unfortunately the opposite will occur and this will embolden
    them to insist on additional bans and the cycle begins.

Meanwhile felons, straw buyers and others prohibited from buying guns have nothing to worry about as they almost never prosecuted. NCIC is broken and needs to be fixed.
    But heck more bans is what they want so let just give the anti-gun mob some more laws that are either won't be enforced, or can't be enforced, to make them feel good.
    Blame the gun owners, take away their rights, it is easier the blaming society for producing this behavior and the failure to enforce gun laws already on the books.

Again it is lot easier for them to do this than really address/fix the ills of our society that is now producing these sick people that have a chip on
    their shoulder, live in a fantasy world of violence and have no morals or value on human life. BTW thanks Hollywood, video games and internet
    sources for your wanton violence and glorification of homicidal maniacs that mass slaughter innocent people - civilians and anyone in authority.
    Oh hell I could go on, but I will stop, sigh!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Hey now, easy on the video gamers. I have been playing shooter video games (and still do) since the late 70's and have never killed any real civilians, or thought about it for that matter. Lol
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer