Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looks Like It Is Going To Happen - Banning Bump Fire Stocks

They did it in florida.
    My slidefire stock has been banned.
    On oct 1st i will become a felon according to the way the law reads now.
    I never thought i would see the day when a piece of plastic that was legally purchased
    according to the govt get confiscated by the same govt and the owner not compensated.
    All this done by republicans.!
    If its to bright....call ELLIOT LUCAS.!

It does not look like they were grandfathered in?? So how do they think they are going to enforce the law on an item that is not serial numbered
    and they have no idea who has them? I believe Florida will have a hard time defending confiscation of slide fires as their law as written
    seems in clear violation of the U.S. Constitution.

5th Amendment "Just compensation"
    The last two words of the amendment promise "just compensation" for takings by the government. In United States v. 50 Acres of Land (1984), the Supreme Court wrote that "The Court
    has repeatedly held that just compensation normally is to be measured by "the market value of the property at the time of the taking contemporaneously paid in money." Olson v. United States,
    292 U.S. 246 (1934)

I believe the Justice Dept just came out saying they believe slide fires should be considered a NFA Machine Gun. ATF says we just enforce the law and under
    the law they do not meet the definition of a machine gun. Only Congress, not the Justice Dept or ATF, can change the law.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    They can do whatever they want, at our cost as well. It sucks, but we can do nothing about it.

Can you list it for out of state sale? Probably make some good money on it.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    They can do whatever they want, at our cost as well. It sucks, but we can do nothing about it.

Can you list it for out of state sale? Probably make some good money on it.
    Florida is already being sued and IMHO if they want the law to stand court scrutiny it will have to be changed/modified.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    So the DOJ has released their proposed regulation. I have read through the entire 55 pages, and, given everything, am not surprised with their current conclusions.

I will save discussions of if the NFA/GCA itself is right, legal, good, bad, whatever for another time. So I am looking only at the regulation in relation to the current laws and regulations and standards put forth.

There are a few places where my read is mildly different on a few things, I agree in general that the precedent set by the Atkins Accelerator, which some of us may recall was a 10/22 stockset which was first allowed and then later deemed to be a illegal machine gun, does show a clear mechanical link to the operations of the user not just the physical weapon.

I found it interesting how narrow the proposal was. It applies to only stock style items. Admittedly, most of the trigger packs on the market do not physically function in the same way, and require more action on the part of the operator.

I would like to see a modification allowed, instead of pure destruction. As far as I can tell, and I dont own one but have glanced at a few over the years, the big issue would be the finger shelf. Remove the finger shelf, it seems like it would generally become rather inert.

Its an interesting read. Debating putting something together if I have time to submit about the proposal.

I generally disagree with the restriction of civilian ownerships. However, given the laws as they are, I have to say I am surprised bump stocks were ever approved in the first place. And am not surprised to see them go. I am wondering what will happen with shoulderbraces/blades as well, as I think that they have an interesting fine line as well. I think this shows just how easy it is for the government agencies to change their minds. Until the NFA/GCA are either repealed or comprehensively updated, we are unfortunately merely at the mercy of the whims of agency interpretations, even if they are relatively narrow at times.

-E

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...ng-bump-stocks
    PLEASE NOTE!
    No post or message by this user shall be considered legal advice or a legal opinion, and shall not constitute the formation of a client/lawyer relationship. Do not rely on this information in making legal decisions. If you have a legal questions, please seek legal council qualified to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.