Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Mr. Jdowney, also known as the 'woodmeister'

Calling Mr. Jdowney, also known as the 'woodmeister'

I was referred here to ask if you would be able to reproduce the HK91 wide handguard in English walnut? I have always wanted an HK91 or PTR91 in wood, but not CETME furniture. I want a wide hand guard made of wood if that is feasible.

Here is a rendering that was made using Photoshop by a member at HK Pro.

Can this be made and at what approximate cost?
    I like all foreign firearms...

Senior Veteran
    That would be very nice. I would like a wide one in HK93 length myself. I have a PTR91k with an HK91 wood stock and Jdowney grip that it would look great on.

20160331_121718.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 02-20-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

That stock and grip look fantastic. I hope he can chime in on this thread so I can find out if it could actually be made.

Senior Veteran
    Thanks. That stock took a lot of work to look like that, it was really beat up when I started with it. The grip was easy though. A little bit of final sanding and a matching finish to the stock.

Senior Veteran
    Hi Michael,

Wide handguards aren't too difficult to make, hardest part is securing the front cap/bipod mount well enough to take the wear and tear of actually using a bipod.
    I made a couple of wide ones a few years ago before changing day jobs, I never got as far as the caps, but the plan was to rivet and epoxy them on. Lately I've also been thinking of ways to try to fix them to an internal aluminum piece that would run the length of the handguard.

So yes, what you want is possible. Finding a piece of English Walnut could also be tricky. I see it around now and then (at least that is what it is sold as) but usually its pretty pricey. Ebay is often a good bet for single oddball pieces. Usually you want about 1/4" over the finished size of the part you're making. Claro Walnut is also a good one to look for and probably a better match for a German buttstock (those were usually stained red, the wood used varied).

The bad news is I'm pretty short of time these days - I made the mistake of taking a much better paying job in 2015, and it keeps me pretty busy. My old job had lots of time to do woodworking on the side, these days I can scarcely keep up with making production grips for RTG.

If you can find the time, I can find the wood.

I have several RFQ's for a 3"x 3" x 15" piece of English Walnut and I'm waiting to hear back from those folks. If there is a specific size you need and would like to take on this project let me know what that size is.

I think the epoxy is a viable idea with or without the rivets for the re-inforcing of the bi-pod mount. In fact, if it looked like it wouldn't hold up I could do without the bi-pod as long as the mount on the front was still affixed to the hand guard to secure it to the rifle. I'm a bit handy in the shop engineering smaller details such as this and could possibly take care of a way to secure the mount myself, I just don't have the woodworking skills to get this basic shape and fit to work. I built a 727 full simulator in my basement several years ago so I know my way around aluminum fabrication. Not so much on the machining side of things.

Time is not a factor unless it would be 2042 until finished because I'll likely be dead by then, but I hope to make it to 2052 at least. Let me know. Please.

Senior Veteran
    3x3x15 should do. It won't take 20 years, but I've been keeping a couple guys waiting a couple years now. I'm hoping the time situation will improve soon, but I've hoped that before so I don't want to count on it.

Senior Veteran
    I would be very interested in one too. HK93 size. Using the same wood you use for the grips. I could send you a forearm for reference and parts. Not interested in using a bipod on it so wouldn't need to be strengthened for that. Is this possible?

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I would be very interested in one too. HK93 size. Using the same wood you use for the grips. I could send you a forearm for reference and parts. Not interested in using a bipod on it so wouldn't need to be strengthened for that. Is this possible?
    Yeah, if you're patient. I'll also talk to Bladeworks about the 93 one I was planning to trade to him for parkerizing a rifle he's building for me. If he wants to pass on it (it matches a stock I made him) then I'll offer it to you. Its a really sweet piece of curly Claro Walnut with slots cut like a Namibian G3.

Could be a couple years though, just so you know.... promotions sound great until you realize what you're giving up by taking them!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Yeah, if you're patient. I'll also talk to Bladeworks about the 93 one I was planning to trade to him for parkerizing a rifle he's building for me. If he wants to pass on it (it matches a stock I made him) then I'll offer it to you. Its a really sweet piece of curly Claro Walnut with slots cut like a Namibian G3.

Could be a couple years though, just so you know.... promotions sound great until you realize what you're giving up by taking them!
    That sounds good. Do you have a pic of that one?

If that one doesn't go, I can be patient enough to wait for one to be made.