Thread: S&W 686 revolver help needed

Question S&W 686 revolver help needed

Hi, all.

I know next to nothing about S&W revolvers. Probably leaning more towards knowing nothing about them, rather than next to nothing. So I'm in need of assistance.

I've inherited a S&W 686-6 revolver from a friend. It did not come with a box or paperwork. Just the gun. It's stainless, .357 Magnum, with a 4.5" barrel, 7 chamber cylinder, appears to have target sights (w/e adjustable rear, orange insert in front blade), and wearing a Hogue Monogrip. Gun looks brand new inside and out. I didn't measure, but the DA pull feels likes it's somewhere in the 8-10 pound range (but still has a clean break for such a heavy pull) and the SA feels around 3 pounds maybe, with no take up at all and a nice clean break. Easily one of the nicer SA triggers I've ever felt. That's the extent of what I know about this pistol. I've already submitted a ticket with S&W to see about original date of manufacture and to find out if there have been any recalls. I have put ~50 rounds through this revolver already and it's a pretty sweet shooter. (Maybe should have checked on recall issues before shooting it... but what's done is done and nobody is worse for the wear. )

So, now my questions...

This Hogue monogrip is terrible. Feels a little flimsy and the finger grooves aren't perfect for either of my hands. So it has to go. But while I was researching grips, I've learned there's a difference depending upon the frame. I *think* my research has shown this to be a K/L frame gun, rather than a K or an L. Is that correct?

Next, I've learned there are curved and flat grips out there. Does it matter which type of grip is used on whatever frame? When I look at the Hogue monogrip, the bottom looks a little curved to me... but when I remove the grip the frame looks more square than round. So now I'm confused.

Related to the Hogue grip, I'm guessing that the attachment point for the Hogue grip is specific to this particular monogrip since it has "Hogue Monogrip" stamped into the fitting that's attached to the frame. Does that fitting need to be removed when using other grips? I guess I was expecting to find grip bushings like you might find on a 1911, but it appears to not be the case. So now I'm not sure how a replacement set of grips might attach to this frame... unless I'm over thinking it.

Photos below. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

~ Greg ~

The grip is the same size as the K frame. Your's looks like the round butt version. Any round butt K frame grips should fit.

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

Senior Veteran
    It is a round butt frame. As stated above, K/L grip size is the same.

sw-n-frame-square-butt-genuine-rosewood-heritage-grips-checkered.jpg

That bracket is for the Houge grips. Most wood grips use a through bolt between the two sides like in the pic of my 686. Some oversize wood grips attach the same way as the Houge rubber grips, with a bracket.

686hand.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 03-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Thanks, all!

After figuring out which frame I had and which grips I could use, I started looking around a bit online (Altamontco, Eagle, VZ) an was immediately struck by Altamontco's "S&W K Round ALTAI Silverblack Dragon/Stipple with Laser Logo" stocks. It's a conversion grip that allows the round butt to use the square butt grips (which I prefer since this isn't going to be a carry gun).

So, I ordered a set. They're going to look dead-sexy on this stainless revolver.

Thanks, everyone!

~ Greg ~

Senior Veteran
    Your welcome!

Those are nice grips. Make sure you post up pics when you get them put on so we can see.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Your welcome!

Those are nice grips. Make sure you post up pics when you get them put on so we can see.
    Oh, you can count on it!

I can highly recommend Altamont! These are the grips I got for my new Browning Buckmark:

This is their Ruger 10/22 stock I recently got:

Outstanding quality and craftsmanship at reasonable prices. You’re right, those grips will look great on that 686! I wish I’d discovered Altamont before I got these, admittedly nice, Hogues for mine.

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787