Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Enfield

Senior Veteran

Savage Enfield

It's still too sloppy and cold to shoot this weekend so I'm looking over the rifles doing some prepping. I pull out the Enfield and notice the fore stock is a little loose. That can't be good. An hour's worth of google-fu on Enfield accuracy and I find I need to check the fit of the stock draws in the receiver. Yep, it's loose, and also cracked where the reinforcing pin is located. Suggested step 1 is soaking it with oil if dry to try to swell it, and that's where I'm at. Got all the furniture soaking in Lemon oil. Mmmm, smells good lol! I think I'll try shimming it with some card stock. I hope there are a few Enfield owners here as I have a few questions about this rifle.

IMG_0781.jpg

Looks good.
    Note: Find instructions to remove the stock.
    If not removed correctly you will crack it......

It sounds like someone may have already done it...........

Ron
    31B

Senior Veteran
    It sounds like someone may have already done it...........

Ron[/QUOTE]

I guess so, this is the first time I've taken it off.

This has been a fun project while watching basketball this morning. Put a piece of card stock behind the rear draw and filed 2 thou off the front trigger guard bolt bushing and the teeter-totter action in the stock is gone. Also got everything cleaned in the trigger group and fresh coat of oil on the wood. This rifle has never looked this good since I bought it lol! This has always been my worst shooting milsurp. I always attributed that to the sewer bore, but I'm hoping a tighter action in the stock will prove that wrong.
    The back story on this is I bought it in the mid 90's for $150. There were 2 laying on the table at the LGS. My buddy Ross was there, and had one at the time and said I needed one. Total enabler lol! The other one was a Longbranch with a mirror bore but beat up wood. I see U S Property on this one, and ask a few ?'s, and decided the wood looked good enough to take a chance on the bore. I'm still working on that as today's project will attest to lol!
    This rifle has the most stock stamps of any I have. OW, 12 (probably a rack #?), M 9 and W on the pistol grip. Anyone got any clues?

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

It also has a bunch of metal stamps I know nothing about. A very light (import ?) GENESEO ILL between the muzzle and front sight on the left side. BDF on the chamber ring on the left side. British Defense Force is my guess.
    Below the serial # is a B, Springfield Armory, and a J at the bottom. No ideas here.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Ammo for this is varied. Left to right I have,
    1. Some factory S&B. I think around 175g FMJ. I bought this when I got the rifle because the guy said it was reloadable. Big mistake. The brass sucks. I can't remember how good it shot, but I'll send all these over the screens for speed and accuracy when I take it out.
    2. Some South African marked 7.7 x 56 on the box. I have never shot any of this but heard it was fairly good stuff. I bought this when I picked up my 1911 a long time ago. Was told it was boxer primed/reloadable, but after some web crawling I have my doubts. Anyone out there shoot this stuff?
    3. Some mouse fart loads. 118g flat points sized .312 for the cowboy .32-20's over 5g of HP38. Last time I shot these it was more of a shotgun 00Buck pattern than a group lol! Was it the sewer bore, or loose stock? Time will tell. I'm guessing around 900/1000 fps. They go pop instead of bang lol!
    4. Some 123g FMJ sized .311 that I was using in my MAK90 reloads over 42g of Accurate 2460. Last I remember this was my best grouping load. I'm guessing around 2600 fps. I'll post before I run them and we can take some bets lol!
    5. I picked up 8 boxes of the Prvi 150g SP this fall for the brass. No idea how they run as I haven't shot any yet. I've run some Prvi through my Mosin and it shot real good, and the brass is excellent to load.

IMG_0790.jpg

That's all I have now. If you have any ideas on the stamps of cartouches post up.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-11-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Springfield Armory= GENESEO ILL
    I understand they imported M 1 carbine parts at one time.
    Maybe they imported entire rifles from Pakistan, India or somewhere else in the 1980's to early 00's
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    That's a good looking Enfield. I like all of the markings on it.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Veteran
    Springfield armory did import a lot of stuff. That is likely why the stamping is there.

Is your rifle a 2 groove or 4? I've got a 2 groove myself and it has been a great shooter. Nice shape and never left the US as far as I know. No import stamps or unit marks.

Frank

Senior Veteran
    Norton, I didn't know SA imported guns for resale, but that appears to be the case here. I thought they just built and sold their own.

Scott, thx for the props. Digital photography is as kind to guns as it is to motorcycles lol! This one has it's share of wear. I forgot to mention it's "mostly" original. Found the square S stamp on all the wood and most parts. What doesn't match is the bolt, magazine, and rear sight. I think the rear sight should have been the double aperture folder like the early .30 Carbines, but this one has the flip up ladder style like the early 03's. It's marked B which I think is BSA. Probable changed across the pond. BTW, nice SC 03 you picked up! If you're going to reload for it post up your progress. My buddy Mark is working on loads for his Rock Island.

biffj, it has a 2 groove barrel which I suspect has "generous" dimensions lol! I need to slug it. I picked up a box of 167g coated FP bullets that Missouri Bullet Co. sells for Mosin's sized .3115 for the next loading experiment. Going to try them over 16g of 2400 first. It's serial # starts 83C so it's one of the last batch made, probably June/July 44. Does yours have the ladder rear sight? Got any pics?

Nice Looking Enfield Don!

I just reloaded some 174 gn PPU for my No.4 Mk.1* Longbranch. I used 174 gn Woodleigh RN SP bullets with 37 gn IMR 4895. Worked great for me.

Veteran
    I don't recall which rear sight mine has but I'll have a look and check the serial too. I do know the 2 groove barrels are really pretty good. I haven't loaded for this rifle but a friend used to shoot his in competitions. He was running .308 dia 168 gr Sierra Matchkings back in the day. His accuracy was excellent despite the smaller bullet dia. He also ran some flat base 175gr soft points in 308 with very good results. At that time the only 311 bullets out there were pulled russian 54R stuff and short runs of commercial. I've never slugged mine but his barrel slugged at .310.

Frank

Veteran
    Just had a look at mine. Its just a flip sight with 400 and 800 I think. Numbers are getting too small to read.....
    The Serial number is 23C 9 thousand something. Some idiot sanded a few spots on the stock and varnished everything but it still looks good. Not much wear on anything and the bolt face has no pitting or ring. Bore is bright and nice.

Frank