Thread: Question on 8mm ammo in Egyptian FN 49

New Recruit Private

Question on 8mm ammo in Egyptian FN 49

I have been told not to use Turkish 8mm in a semi-auto rifle because it is too hot. Wouldn't the adjustable gas system on the FN 49 be able to handle it? Isn't the purpose of an adjustable gas system to compensate for different ammo loads?

Veteran
    I have shot Turk out of both an FN 49 and Harkim.. Just adjusted the gas.. No issues.. But I hate shooting corrosive ammo out of gas guns.. Because I always worry about cleaning the gun enough because of the corrosive ammo.

So I would rather get that new Romanian non corrosive a for about 50 cents a shot. About the same price for surplus Turk today

https://www.sargesmilitarysurplus.co...-mauser-boxed/

I save the surplus ammo for the bolt rifles...

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson18067 View Post
    I have been told not to use Turkish 8mm in a semi-auto rifle because it is too hot. Wouldn't the adjustable gas system on the FN 49 be able to handle it? Isn't the purpose of an adjustable gas system to compensate for different ammo loads?
    I'm not sure in a semi-auto, but I won't shoot the stuff in bolt guns anymore. I shot some out of my M43 Spanish Mauser, the ammo was given to me when I bought the gun. It was very hard kicking ammo. The worst thing though, after each shot, the bolt was hard to open. I have not had that issue with any other ammo I fired through it. That stuff is too hot for any milsurp rifle IMHO.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I only shoot the Turkish ammo out of my Turkish M1938.

Dispenser of the Haterade.

New Recruit Private
    I have been shooting Yugo 8mm sniper ammo in my FN 49 without problems. I have a lot of the Turkish I would like to use up but I don't think I'll chance it. It was just a thought I had today.

NEVER EVER NEVER SHOOT TURK 8MM IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BOLT ACTION. NEVER!!! Ignore this at your own peril.

http://smgguns.com/?page_id=965 Scroll down to "8MM AMMO WARNING".
    Last edited by Combloc; 03-18-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
    NEVER EVER NEVER SHOOT TURK 8MM IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BOLT ACTION. NEVER!!! Ignore this at your own peril.

http://smgguns.com/?page_id=965 Scroll down to "8MM AMMO WARNING".
    Great information on this thread, I have an Egyptian 49 and bought Turk Ammo from SG years ago and never shot a round of it.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Veteran
    That turk ammo has made me more money than any other single source. It is unsafe in anything. It is not hot, it is dangerous. I know the K98 guys think they can use it in their bolt actions but its not really safe in them either. We chronographed 100 rds of that stuff when it came in and found velocity varying from 1600fps to 3400 fps in the same lots. It was pretty much that variation regardless of date or packing. That tells me right off its not good. I work on mostly machineguns and suppressors but do some semi's too for a living.
    Next we have lots of machineguns running that stuff because it was cheap. I tried running it when it first came in but had lots of stuck cases. I also blew the extractor out of an MG13. I blamed the gun at the time but after seeing the number of complaints and destruction caused by that ammo I realized it was the ammo. I've seen more than one MG42 with an extractor blown through the bottom of the receiver and damage to the bolt, trunnion and sheet metal. I've seen the "indestructable" 1919 Browning destroyed by the second round fired. The gun was locked up and I had to cut it apart to do any repairs. The sideplates were damaged, the right plate pushed over the large rivets and bent, the left plate bowed out and nearly pushed over the rivets and the barrel swelled. The bolt still had the locking block engaged so it wasn't an out of battery incident. It cost my customer $1800 to repair the gun so he could save 2 cents per round. He only fired 2 rds so not much savings there.

All ammo will have the occasional problem. When you find one type of ammo that has frequent issues its time to ask yourself what your eyesight, face and firearms are worth to you. Is it worth shooting absolute crap to save a few cents? You can do as you want, its your rifle but for me its pretty clear. I won't shoot that stuff in someone elses bolt action much less any of my guns.

Frank
    Last edited by biffj; 03-18-2018 at 10:17 PM.

I have a few bandoleers of that ammo. Shot a bunch when it was $20 for 70 rounds. Always beautiful and 100% sure fire. However, good looks and complete reliability doesn't mean it's not over pressure. If memory serves correct, that ammo was running about 2900fps.
    The proud great x5 grandson of an American Revolution veteran!