Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Veteran

And today's experiment is.......

Basically, a total bust!
    Took my new M16A2 clone (the Barbie gun) out to the range to run it in. It didn't go well. Stripped the first round out of a brand new PMAG and didn't go bang. WTF? Went downhill from there. I thought it didn't pick up a round the first time, racked it again and it loosened the bullet trying to go into the crowded chamber. Fook! Emptied the chamber and started over. Got the next one downrange and it didn't pick the next round. Reseated the mag, got the next round off and it jammed so tight nothing would move. Can you say pissed off? Not even close. Now I have a live round in it wondering if I'd have a ventilated truck door when I got home. Not sure what the factory approved way of dealing with this is, but a long lever thru the mag well shifted the bolt so I could clear it. I'm not giving up on the AR15 platform yet, but I'd expect a new gun to work better than this.
    Gear review. Not much with only 2 shots. No overpressure signs on the IMI M193 ammo. The $6 brass catcher caught both lol! The MTM target holder was steady. The bench bag worked when stood on the long end. (note to self, remember to bring the 20 rd. mags when shooting off the bench next time) Bear Creek will never be known for their triggers. The only way I'll be able tell which one is worse between this and my Mosin is which one I happen to be shooting at the time.
    Out of the box the windage was close, and the front sight was a little high at 25 paces.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

I have had two problems with AR15/M16s over th years. Both involved bolts. The M16 was pretty wore out and the ejector spring broke, easy fix. The AR had an out of spec bolt.
    Replaced bolt and all was well.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran

My 2 cents. get rid of the plastic magazine and get a high quality steel magazine that they where designed to shoot in this receiver. i have had several plastic mag and all of them had to be filed and tuned to shoot in each receiver. And if i tried to switch them around, i ran into problems. Good shooting. Roger.
    Navy Chief (Retired)

Marine Corps and Special Forces have gone to PMAGs. Many of the others buy them on govt cards to use.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-15-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Senior Veteran
    PMAGs will not run in my M16A1 out of the box. Aluminium/steel mags work flawlessly, new or used surplus.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    PMAGs will not run in my M16A1 out of the box. Aluminium/steel mags work flawlessly, new or used surplus.
    What is going on with you guys (LOL). All I have used for years is PMAGs in 15 plus builds and never had an issue (LOL). Military testing was getting 20,000
    plus rounds thru PMAGs without a failure to feed. Heck, it does not hurt to try different mags though (LOL)